PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes the good guy wins - AMI Auction story

TAFKADixie
05-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I won one of AMI's April auctions and expressed my dissatisfaction on here with having to pay $30 shipping/handling. I won a fairly common Puma 2000 Rams gamer from Clemson alum, Dexter McCleon http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=43078. Even after the ridiculous shipping, it was still a good buy for me at $150. The package arrived in less than a week which was a pleasant surprise after reading some of the online reviews of their business practices. When I opened the package today I immediately realized somthing was different with the jersey inside.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/TAFKADixie/Jerseys/mccleonb.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/TAFKADixie/Jerseys/mcleonf.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/TAFKADixie/sbpatch.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/TAFKADixie/repair.jpg

What I actually received was McCleon's Reebok 2001 Super Bowl XXXVI gamer with a nice team repair! I checked their complete auctions and this jersey actually sold for $585 in one of their 2005 auctions. http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=21847 I don't know if the auction never got paid for or the bidder never got their jersey, but regardless I am ECSTATIC! The chances that I will ever find another Clemson Super Bowl jersey are obviously very small (threw that in there for the FL, OSU, and Mich collectors on the board so you wouldn't have to) ;) !!

dodgersfan
05-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I wonder by law if you sent someone the wrong item would you have to return it to them?
How does that work out?

Rudy

aeneas01
05-06-2009, 05:49 PM
i'm guessing the good guy, the winner in this thing, is he buyer and not the consignor - wouldn't you just love to be the poor guy that consigned this shirt to ami? in a case like this i'm sure it would be entirely out of the question for a buyer to contact the business to let them know a mistake had been made, that an item of much greater value was shipped instead of what they had paid for. i mean if the tables were turned, if a buyer purchased a player's super bowl shirt as advertised and instead got a non-super bowl shirt, the buyer would most likely let it slide, right?

TAFKADixie
05-06-2009, 05:56 PM
i'm guessing the good guy, the winner in this thing, is he buyer and not the consignor - wouldn't you just love to be the poor guy that consigned this shirt to ami? in a case like this i'm sure it would be entirely out of the question for a buyer to contact the business to let them know a mistake had been made, that an item of much greater value was shipped instead of what they had paid for. i mean if the tables were turned, if a buyer purchased a player's super bowl shirt as advertised and instead got a non-super bowl shirt, the buyer would most likely let it slide, right?

If it was Hunt or someone reputable who actually pays their consingors and it would negatively affect the two parties, I would absolutely contact the auction house. Considering it is AMI, who obviously after 4 years hasn't paid the consignor or returned hs jersey, would you rather it be sitting in their warehouse gathering dust or in a collector's hands who appreciates it?

mvandor
05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
If it was Hunt or someone reputable who actually pays their consingors and it would negatively affect the two parties, I would absolutely contact the auction house. Considering it is AMI, who obviously after 4 years hasn't paid the consignor or returned hs jersey, would you rather it be sitting in their warehouse gathering dust or in a collector's hands who appreciates it?

Yup, tough to argue that one, I have to admit. Although I probably wouldn't have publicly posted about it. ;)

kingjammy24
05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
SB jersey consigner never got paid or got his item back after 3 yrs? SB jersey original winning bidder never got the item they won after 3 yrs? really?

so is the assumption that AMI itself wasn't the consigner of the SB jersey and that the "winning bid" wasn't a shill bid that got stuck at the top?

rudy.

dcgreg25
05-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I dont know....if it was me, I would give strong consideration to returning it, as tempting as it would be to just keep it. Who knows if the jersey wasnt consigned for their next auction or owned by AMI or something else. :confused: You don't know what you don't know, I would hope that if it ever happened to me, I would be able to swallow hard and bring the mistake to the seller's attention. Regardless of how good or bad the auction house is there is something to be said for trying to do the right thing.

This should prove to be a very interesting thread as we can all speculate as to the reason you got the wrong jersey but....nobody knows for sure. I will be interested to see the board's response and where this goes.

aeneas01
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM

down the road, don't winning bidders often relist their items with the same auction house? don't winning bidders sell items privately, items that eventually make their way back to the original auction house? don't items sometimes show as won at auction's end, but are never shipped due to nonpayment?

but you've presumed that the sb shirt was won four years ago by a bidder that paid for the shirt yet was never sent his item; and you've also presumed that the consignor of the item was stiffed as well. and based on these assumptions you've rationalized that it's o.k. to steal from ami (yes, it is stealing)? and at a collector's forum where crooked dealers and fake items are exposed for the betterment of the hobby, you proudly post that you've ripped ami off?

hey, i'm no saint and my feelings about ami are the same as the rest of the forum - but i would like to think that if we're going to toss well deserved dirt clods at some of these guys, that we toss them from something other than a glass house.

mvandor
05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
:o Ethics aside, a hell of a great jersey. :o

G1X
05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Robert,
I agree. Words never better spoken. As most of us were taught a long time ago, two wrongs don't make a right. For you guys who think that it is O.K. to keep the jersey, you are doing the exact same thing that you accuse others of doing.

TAFKADixie,
Please do the right thing and advise the auction house of the situation. Who knows, they might just say, "keep it." The worst thing that could happen is that you will have to return the jersey and end up with the jersey that you actually won.

For Everyone,
Regardless of what any of us think of others and their business practices, we must always keep our morals, standards and ethics at the highest level. This community can remain strong only if we all maintain the higest level of morals, standards, and ethics.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL Jerseys

Neely8
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
:o Ethics aside, a hell of a great jersey. :o

It's not that great of a jersey if it's the same one McCleon was wearing when he got burned by David Patten in the 2nd quarter.

cordovacollector
05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
I agree, be the man that would do the right thing and call AMI. And I sure would do everything I could to talk to the original consignor and first buyer to find out their version of the story.

I would never want to be in a situation where there was even a slight doubt of having stolen property in my possession. Or having a prize jersey that I'd feel I'd have to hide in a closet.

This is a no-doubter. Call AMI. Keep GUU an honorable place.

I have no clue why anyone would post this and admit to it in such a public forum. Sometimes the urge to brag is NOT the right thing to do. Since the poster has now also impuned the reputation of GUU, perhaps one of the Administrators could help assist in this ending properly and keep GUU repuation intact ... and help restore the poster for having a lapse of judgment.

Mr.3000
05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Not telling you what to do at all....but I would call them and let them know of their error.

TAFKADixie
05-07-2009, 05:30 AM
You will all be happy to know that I have contacted AMI and advised them of the situation. After the initial excitement wore off, I had some time to think about being in the consignor's shoes and how I would feel if it was me. I knew what you guys would say even with most people's thoughts on AMI. That's why I posted it. I think if I had I truly intended on keeping the jersey, I simply would have posted it in the May pickups. Thanks for helping me keep my karma out of the crapper!

ChrisCavalier
05-07-2009, 06:18 AM
You will all be happy to know that I have contacted AMI and advised them of the situation. After the initial excitement wore off, I had some time to think about being in the consignor's shoes and how I would feel if it was me. I knew what you guys would say even with most people's thoughts on AMI. That's why I posted it. I think if I had I truly intended on keeping the jersey, I simply would have posted it in the May pickups. Thanks for helping me keep my karma out of the crapper!
Hello Sam,

Let me be the first to commend you for doing what I believe was the right thing. Ironically, though not exactly the same situation, I have gone back to stores after realizing they undercharged me. It's kind of funny when you try to explain to the person at the service counter that you are actually there to pay them more money. They usually give you an enigmatic look before they finally realize what you are trying to do.

I personally think life is very simple when you always just try to do the right thing, no matter the circumstance. I understand you felt tempted by the situation but I'm really glad to see you did the honorable thing and contacted the seller.

Kudos to you!

ironmanfan
05-07-2009, 06:57 AM

You are obviously doing the right thing but you may want to consider waiting until you get the jersey you actually won from AMI prior to sending this one back.

trsent
05-07-2009, 07:05 AM
You are obviously doing the right thing but you may want to consider waiting until you get the jersey you actually won from AMI prior to sending this one back.

If the buyer paid with a credit card - They should be protected by their card company as long as they return the jersey with a tracking number so they can prove it was delivered if they never receive the correct item.

ironmanfan
05-07-2009, 07:11 AM
If the buyer paid with a credit card - They should be protected by their card company as long as they return the jersey with a tracking number so they can prove it was delivered if they never receive the correct item.

perhaps the OP values the jersey they originally bid on & won over getting a refund on their charge card...(I know I would); I would simply wait until they sent me the right item prior to sending the other jersey back.

TAFKADixie
05-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Does anyone think I should charge them the same $30 they charged me for shipping to get their jersey back?!? :D

ironmanfan
05-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Does anyone think I should charge them the same $30 they charged me for shipping to get their jersey back?!? :D

....what's good for the goose is good for the gander :)

treant985
05-07-2009, 08:55 AM
As much as I agree that it was the right thing to do for the consignor, I think the risk of selling a better-than-described item falls squarely on AMI's shoulders. If the consignor got angry about AMI screwing it up, then it should be AMI working to fix things, not the good faith buyer. If AMI had any reputation (which apparently they don't), the buyer would keep the jersey and AMI would pay the consignor a reasonable amount in lost value by sending the wrong item. AMI suffered no consequences for a huge mess-up.

The auction was for a McLeon jersey, which is what got delivered. The seller's failure to disclose an attribute that the buyer considers valuable is solely the seller's fault, and the seller can deal with a mad consignor; the consignor took the risk of consigning with a place like AMI (or any auction house), so I think the only innocent party here is the buyer--who's the only one who's actually going to suffer any kind of detriment.

Does anyone know if AMI's auctions are sold 'as-is'?

BergerKing22784
05-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Couple comments....

First I give you credit for leting them know and doing the right thing.

2nd I believe someone asked if its legally his if he wanted it to be. I could be wrong but I think legally anything sent to you in the mail and addresed to you is yours legally and you are free to do with it what you like.

3rd back when I was still into tricking out my truck and thought it was cool i bought a piece for my truck on ebay and the people who sold it to me charged me like $28 for shipping. The company screwed up and sent me two different packages with the same item. I wanted to do the right thing and send back the 2nd one as I did not pay for it. The item came UPS so I did not really know what it cost them to ship it to me. I contacted the company and let them know they sent me two and that if they pay paled me back $28 I would ship them their item right away. They responded back and wanted me to accept a prepaid shipping sticker and ship it back that way. I told them I would not do that as I had a feeling I was overcharged for shipping and if they wanted it back they would have to pay me $28 for me to do so. I gave them a month with that option and they never did accept that offer. A month later I put the item on ebay and shipped it to the winning bidder and shipped the same manner they shipped to me and it came to $9.50 to ship. I made sure to give back the buyer the difference in shipping.

So to make a long story short... Your doing AMI a favor so if they ripped you off in anyway you are in every right to charge them the $30 they charged you. Also I would make sure you get the correct jersey before you ship them anything back.

treant985
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
2nd I believe someone asked if its legally his if he wanted it to be. I could be wrong but I think legally anything sent to you in the mail and addresed to you is yours legally and you are free to do with it what you like.

There's a federal law that prohibits people sending you something unsolicited in the mail and then demanding payment for it (which could be allowed under old contract law).

I guess my main point was like this: it's AMI's mistake, so they should figure it out themselves and have to deal with the consequences...

mvandor
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
perhaps the OP values the jersey they originally bid on & won over getting a refund on their charge card...(I know I would); I would simply wait until they sent me the right item prior to sending the other jersey back.

Given AMI is on obviously rocky financial footing, I would NOT return the jersey until you got the one you won - IF they can produce it.

If they can't, don't expect to see a cash refund from these guys.

If you DO return it, you're well within your rights to charge the slugs the same $30.

I don't see an easy resolution here in your future with these guys.

Lokee
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM

I Agree 100% on this one. TRUST me man wait till your propper jersey has arrived before sending this one back. All I get from AMI is promises on my LOA they forgot to ship back 2 or 3 months ago. I still have not recieved it.

TAFKADixie
05-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Here's the update:

They offered to send me the correct jersey along with a prepaid label for return of the previous jersey. I asked if there was anyway I could just keep the jersey they sent me. He's checking and will get back to me. So far, I don't see how this could possibly end badly.

Lokee
05-08-2009, 01:25 AM
cool ...

mfsquirrelmaster
05-08-2009, 02:55 AM
What was AMI's explanation for sending a jersey from an auction that closed a couple years ago??

TAFKADixie
05-12-2009, 08:53 AM
To further illustrate their incompetence, they just added a jersey that is laying on my floor to their newest auction.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=47833&aucsearch=mccleon&AucListType=open&TitleDesc=0&period=

nyjetsfan14
05-12-2009, 09:44 AM
To further illustrate their incompetence, they just added a jersey that is laying on my floor to their newest auction.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=47833&aucsearch=mccleon&AucListType=open&TitleDesc=0&period=

Now this IS interesting. I wonder if AMI contacted the original consigner and he/she happily agreed to let them auction the piece again after all this time of no original consignment/sale funds or not returning jersey??? It would be great if you could somehow find out who the original consigner was, contact them, and arrange to return the jersey directly back to him or her for the price you won it for. That way they would not be handcuffed to use anyones services again and remove the the third party from the loop. I know if I was the orginal consigner I would just want my item back to do with as I pleased and not have to deal with all the stories of no funds and missing items. As it is, it seems pretty greasy to see this item in their current auction when they don't even have it in their possession.

mvandor
05-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Perhaps they're expecting to get it back and are getting a leg up listing it for auction?

Let us know when you get the correct jersey and return this one. Will be interesting to see what it goes for compared to the one you won.

Wonder who the consignor is? Possible it is being sold by the guy that won it back in the earlier sale and they just mixed up the two jerseys when they shipped. Although you have to wonder with all the problems consignors are having getting paid why anyone would consign anything at this point with AMI.

earlywynnfan
05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
1) The jerk in me says make them sweat, don't send it back until after the auction closes. Actually, I'd bet you don't have full satisfaction by then, anyway.

2) Everyone keeps posting about a consignor for this jersey. I would think a consignor would've gotten some sort of payment or satisfaction after all these years, so my logic tells me that this jersey is owned by AMI.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

jonincleve
05-12-2009, 10:21 AM
send it back with their prepaid label......win it in the auction....i bet they charge you another $30 to send it to you :)

just say you want to bid on it and if you win it you will send the funds and they do not have to worry about the the shipping fee. i wonder what you would get charged for 'handling' in that scenario.

take care
john

cjmedina1
05-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Contact the FBI and Let them investigate. Maybe they can kick some rocks around and find out whats going with all the consignor pay out problems and see if this happen to other winners. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net