PDA

View Full Version : B.A.T./MLB All-Star jerseys

kingjammy24
05-02-2009, 01:50 PM
starting in 1992 (to the best of my recollection), the MLB began to collect and subsequently auction off jerseys from the all-star game. they did this to benefit B.A.T, the baseball assistance team, which is a charity set-up by former players in order to assist former players who've fallen on hard times. after the all-star game, B.A.T. reps would go into the clubhouses and collect the jerseys. i'm not sure exactly how the process worked each year; that is, i'm not sure if each year they went directly into the clubhouses or if some years they were mailed the jerseys after the game. at any rate, i was looking through an old 1999 mastro catalog where mastro auctioned off a large amount of 1999 all-star jerseys collected by B.A.T. the description reads "..Immediately following this year's All-Star Game in Boston, representatives of B.A.T. obtained game uniforms directly from most of the participants. The uniforms were autographed by the players and delivered to B.A.T. for the purpose of auction to raise money..."

included in the mastro auction was a mcgwire jersey (starting bid $5000) and a joe torre jersey. after looking at some images of mcgwire and torre at the 1999 all-star game, i noticed some issues.

on torre's jersey, the NY Yankees logo doesn't come close to matching up.
on mcgwire's jersey, the nameplate on the mastro jersey seems to be noticeably higher than seen in photos. on the mastro jersey, the neckline and nameplate are much closer together than seen in photos. as well, in the action photos, it seems there's enough space to sew another "G" from the nob to the neckline whereas on the mastro jersey there clearly isn't enough space. lastly, in the action photo, it seems that the third button is touching the "Cardinals" script; almost sewn into it. in the mastro jersey, there's some space between the third button and the "Cardinals" script.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5468/fivez.jpg

it wouldn't be the first time that all-star jerseys auctioned off by MLB/B.A.T. didn't match up to game tapes: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23550

what struck me about the 1999 Mastro/B.A.T. jerseys was how the overwhelming number of them had tags sharper than a razor. while i realize that perhaps some players used new jerseys for the ASG, did all of the players receive brand new shirts? i don't know how it worked in 1999 but my experience in all-star games years prior was that a number of players wore the same jerseys they'd worn in the first half of the season. i have terry steinbach's 1993 ASG jersey, purchased from steinbach, and roberto kelly's 1992 ASG jersey, photomatched and purchased from steiner, and both of them show obvious wear consistent with far more than 1 game.

rudy.

kingjammy24
05-02-2009, 02:21 PM
the mcgwire jersey also lacks mcgwire's custom hemmed bottom.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2376/five.jpg

i wonder if any of the teams/players simply had extras made up for the sole purpose of donating to the B.A.T. charity.

rudy.

ironmanfan
05-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Rudy:

Regarding those BAT jerseys, I had always thought they made two (one for the the player to wear and one to auction off)?

Though I cant remember where, I can recall reading that at one time.

kingjammy24
05-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Rudy:

Regarding those BAT jerseys, I had always thought they made two (one for the the player to wear and one to auction off)?

Though I cant remember where, I can recall reading that at one time.

are you saying that they did this overtly? that is, that the MLB/B.A.T. was fully aware that multiples were made up and that the non-game used ones were auctioned off and billed as such?

i once read a first-person account from the guy who went into the clubhouse after the '93 ASG to collect the jerseys. he said he went in with garbage bags, collected the jerseys directly from the players, and tossed all of the jerseys in bags. in his article he was talking about discerning game-used and said he left the bags around for a day or so and when he returned, they stunk to high heaven. he used joe carter's 93 ASG game shirt as a visual example to show sweat stains around the collar. clearly he was under the impression that he was collecting gamers. his story is consistent with the one told to me by a '93 all-star player who said that after the game, an MLB/B.A.T. rep came around to each player and asked for the shirt they wore in the game. he said the rep was clearly asking for/expecting for the gamer. i remember leland's auctioning off many B.A.T. jerseys and they were sold as gamers.

i don't know what happened or what the policies were from the mid-late 90s. i know that in the early 90s, B.A.T. was collecting and auctioning off what were supposed to be the shirts actually worn in the ASG. from the $5k starting bid on the mcgwire shirt, it seems mastro was also under the impression that it was a mcgwire gamer.

i have no doubt that B.A.T. collected many legit gamers. unfortunately, i believe that the photo/video evidence suggests that not each and every single shirt they collected was worn in the ASG.

rudy.

ironmanfan
05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Again, I wish I can recall where I read it, but one year in the 1990's, I was going to bid on a Ripken but when I read they made two, it affected my decision not to pursue.

kingjammy24
05-02-2009, 10:53 PM
this looks to be the same torre jersey that mastro auctioned off in 1999. lelands sold it off again in 2004 for over $6700.

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=412&lot=745

rudy.