PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so what is the low-down on Lou Lampson?

RKO18
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I have searched the forum prior to making this post, but I do have a few questions that I hope don't annoy everyone who might be sick of talking about this guy.

From what I've gathered, he tends to give his opinion on items without doing proper research, and people are getting dupped as a result.

Now, I don't think that Lou intentionally finds items that are not really game-worn, just to say that they are. So my question is this...

Does a letter from Lou actually bring down the value of the item? Seriously.

Has anyone ever found a jersey certified by him that has been photo-matched to be 100% authentic?

Any feedback would be great and sorry if I'm asking the same questions other people have.

gingi79
04-30-2009, 11:26 PM
At the risk of undergoing similar ridicule to other GUU members I will say it this way. I, GinGi79, am the greatest known authenticator of game worn material. Everyone posting here is inferior to me. I am correct in offering this opinion and photographic proof pales in comparison to my knowledge. How would you believe, me, or your lying eyes? And if you ever feel the need to call me out legally, remember these are my opinions. My lawyers tell me writing my opinion on paper leaves me in the clear for the millions of dollars lost be collectors which I have written opinions on.

Of course I am being a sarcastic putz but really I am illustrating a point.

Imagine somehow you were told that you were the greatest person at your given profession by people who know the law. Then imagine you suffered from an ego complex that made you believe it to. Would you then have your lawyers research how far your Muhammed Ali style boasting and bravado about your make believe credentials could go before being considered technically illegal? Perhaps have them research how much the word "opinion" left you on the hook for writing that word on paper? Maybe make up a stupid "fact" like having 8,000 pictures at your disposal to give your opinion on, in a day and age where getty images and google count in the millions? Then package it all in a pretty bow and hide like a coward behind legal red tape?

Opinions don't make an item real or fake. However seasoned collectors stay clear of any item based on his opinion and do their own research. This includes questioning this board about an item.

He knows exactly what to write on an LOO to keep him legally free and gets paid to give his opinion. Considering the merit of this post, I should get the same fee. At least with my opinion, I am offering facts.

aeneas01
05-01-2009, 01:49 AM
IDoes a letter from Lou actually bring down the value of the item? Seriously. Has anyone ever found a jersey certified by him that has been photo-matched to be 100% authentic?

a lampson letter is very valuable to many collectors and i've never heard of an instance in which a lampson letter has "brought down" the value of an item. as far your question regarding whether or not lampson has ever written a letter on a jersey that is indeed authentic and 100% genuine is concerned, are you serious? of course he has.

quiggle28
05-01-2009, 06:32 AM
when you watch this video, why does he make this kind of expression at 7 seconds in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTCq2gkygw

Chris78
05-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I think the question that no one I have seen answered is "what is the percentage of items Lou Lampson gets correct?" Yes, he has made some mistakes, and some big ones, but I am sure that some items are game used items as well.

My personal feeling is that having is opinion does not add value to the item and you may want a second opinion on the item as well if you are going to sell or buy.

Chris

RKO18
05-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I think the question that no one I have seen answered is "what is the percentage of items Lou Lampson gets correct?" Yes, he has made some mistakes, and some big ones, but I am sure that some items are game used items as well.

My personal feeling is that having is opinion does not add value to the item and you may want a second opinion on the item as well if you are going to sell or buy.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

That is more of what I'm looking to find out. All I have seen is people posting negative things and/or things that Lou has messed up, with just cause mind you.

I'm just curious whether or not he does get things right because the way people make it seem, it's like he gets things right 0% of the time which doesn't appear practical.

Again, I'm not even saying he does a good job, I don't know enough to pass judgement, that's why I'm asking you guys.

suave1477
05-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks Chris,

That is more of what I'm looking to find out. All I have seen is people posting negative things and/or things that Lou has messed up, with just cause mind you.

I'm just curious whether or not he does get things right because the way people make it seem, it's like he gets things right 0% of the time which doesn't appear practical.

Again, I'm not even saying he does a good job, I don't know enough to pass judgement, that's why I'm asking you guys.

I understand what your asking but it's really a bad question.

Of course he gets things right. I can call myself an Authenticator and eventaullly if I go "eenie meenie miny moe" I am going to get something right.
As the old saying goes "if you throw enough sh^& against the wall eventually it will stick"

The problem with Lou Lampson is that he gets the obvious ones wrong and furthermore as KingJammy (I believe) pointed out in another thread, when Lampson pointed out something wrong, as he did get it correct it was a fake item, he missed all the obvious clues that made it wrong.

So is this someone you or for that fact anyone feel they can trust???

You ask does he bring down the value of an item, of course he does. There are plenty of items out there I personally would have bought or bid on, but just for the fact it comes with a Lampson LOA. I won't bother going any further and pass right on by it. So that seller just lost me as a customer to qoute en qoute bring up the value on an item that is up for auction. I know many other collectors how bad they may need an item, if it has an Lampson LOA they won't touch it with a ten foot pole. So based on that alone an item loses value having a Lampson LOA.

jonincleve
05-02-2009, 07:00 AM
i will not just pass on a lot with a lampson letter.

i will just ignore the letter and judge the item on it's own merits.

i own a couple pieces with a lampson letter but i did my own homework. i would never buy an item based on his opinion alone. he probably forgets more than i know but he is careless in his opinions and research. i do not want that in a paid authenticator.

take care
john

aeneas01
05-02-2009, 07:16 AM
i will not just pass on a lot with a lampson letter.

i will just ignore the letter and judge the item on it's own merits.

i own a couple pieces with a lampson letter but i did my own homework. i would never buy an item based on his opinion alone. he probably forgets more than i know but he is careless in his opinions and research. i do not want that in a paid authenticator.

take care
john

exactly john - an item is what it is and a letter from lampson, mears, gfc, etc., will not change it into something that it's not. as such, why on earth would a collector that did his homework and determined that an item was authentic pass on it just because it included a lampson letter? or any letter for that matter? he wouldn't. on the other hand such letters, including ones from lampson, certainly help the value of items (not decrease the value) when presented to inexperienced collectors - impossible to debate imo.

otismalibu
05-02-2009, 08:43 AM
on the other hand such letters, including ones from lampson, certainly help the value of items (not decrease the value) when presented to inexperienced collectors

Was it this board where someone was discussing displaying their letters with the piece? Would someone hang a letter from Sony on the wall behind their flat screen? Maybe a laminated letter from Nike hanging off the the side of one's golf bag? There are so many bad pieces in this hobby, letters help people convince others (and themselves) that the item is real.

I prefer doing research. How many letters can you write with 1000 words?