PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel winners?

gatorcollector
04-30-2009, 06:11 AM
I got the Lito Sheppard Eagles gamer. How did you guys do?

russyurk
04-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Got outbid in the middle of the night. I know why they do it but I'm not a big fan of the entire auction closing at the same time. I'd prefer each lot to have its own 10-minute rule.

zonker
04-30-2009, 07:30 AM
got nothing! stayed up till 3:30 am as the high bidder on 2 lot's without a counter bid on these lot's for 6 1/2 hour's. i couldn't keep my eye's open any longer so i went to bed. woke up at 6:00 to find out i was outbid around 4 am. these auction houses need to get there act together and realize that people on the west coast have an unfair advantage! i like most people have to work to make a living. they need to either close the auction's around 3pm est during the week or close lot's individualy when they go into extended bidding or my favorite choice. close the damn bidding on the weekend. saturday at noon would be fair to everyone. i live on the east coast and i'm tired of being outbid by a few dollars every f#!%^&"ing time only to lose these lot's because i can't stay up all night to fight with another bidder on the west coast who can win and still get to bed around 1am. i have lost the last 8 lot's i've bid on. i'm just about ready to call it quit's on these auction houses. it seem's they want you to jump thru hoop's, stay up all night for the privilage to bid in there auction's for a mear 40% commission for them! hell i'd have a better chance of winning if i could bring my money throw it in the middle of a ring and fight to the death for these lot's. there's no telling how much money these consigner's lose on there item's from bidder's who can't stay up all night. what ass#$%! came up with extended bidding anyway's? if they advertise a closing time for an auction, then they should do so at that time. get your max bid's in by that time, sale it and move on! was this type of bidding supposed to help? well it don't!!!!!!! i'm glad these auction houses are closing left and right. they take your money treat you like crap. hell i can't even bid in american memorabilia anymore. the only auction house to decline my bussiness, because i changed my mind 1 time to purchase something from them. the item wasn't part of a auction, but in the for sale section no less. i bought multiple item's at auction from them in the past, but did that mean a crap to them? no. sorry didn't mean to vent so long, but got only 1 1/2 hrs sleep last night and now i have to go to work. you watch an item for 30 day's bid 1st, was high bidder at bidder's deadline,stayed up all night without a counter bid go to bed and lose. what a waste of peoples time and consigner's money!

russyurk
04-30-2009, 07:43 AM
got nothing! stayed up till 3:30 am as the high bidder on 2 lot's without a counter bid on these lot's for 6 1/2 hour's. i couldn't keep my eye's open any longer so i went to bed. woke up at 6:00 to find out i was outbid around 4 am. these auction houses need to get there act together and realize that people on the west coast have an unfair advantage! i like most people have to work to make a living. they need to either close the auction's around 3pm est during the week or close lot's individualy when they go into extended bidding or my favorite choice. close the damn bidding on the weekend. saturday at noon would be fair to everyone. i live on the east coast and i'm tired of being outbid by a few dollars every f#!%^&"ing time only to lose these lot's because i can't stay up all night to fight with another bidder on the west coast who can win and still get to bed around 1am. i have lost the last 8 lot's i've bid on. i'm just about ready to call it quit's on these auction houses. it seem's they want you to jump thru hoop's, stay up all night for the privilage to bid in there auction's for a mear 40% commission for them! hell i'd have a better chance of winning if i could bring my money throw it in the middle of a ring and fight to the death for these lot's. there's no telling how much money these consigner's lose on there item's from bidder's who can't stay up all night. what ass#$%! came up with extended bidding anyway's? if they advertise a closing time for an auction, then they should do so at that time. get your max bid's in by that time, sale it and move on! was this type of bidding supposed to help? well it don't!!!!!!! i'm glad these auction houses are closing left and right. they take your money treat you like crap. hell i can't even bid in american memorabilia anymore. the only auction house to decline my bussiness, because i changed my mind 1 time to purchase something from them. the item wasn't part of a auction, but in the for sale section no less. i bought multiple item's at auction from them in the past, but did that mean a crap to them? no. sorry didn't mean to vent so long, but got only 1 1/2 hrs sleep last night and now i have to go to work. you watch an item for 30 day's bid 1st, was high bidder at bidder's deadline,stayed up all night without a counter bid go to bed and lose. what a waste of peoples time and consigner's money!

Well said.

dcgreg25
04-30-2009, 08:02 AM
I won the Indians Victor Martinez jersey which I have had missed out on previously when it was sold on a GUU auction a year or two ago. :D I also picked up a lot of two Redskins jerseys (Davis & Arrington) at a pretty good price.

NEfootballguy
04-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Just wondering if anyone here on the forum won the nine (9) game used helmet lot#254 in the Grey Flannel auction?? Please let me know if so. Thank you! bakersj@insightbb.com

Ozric
04-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Anyone here planning on picking up their winnings that are close to their office... I ended up winning the McNamee Stanton jersey for next to nothing, but it appears they might charge me $175.00 to ship it due to it's size. If any kind soul on the board would pick it up for me, please let me know. I know of several ways to ship it framed for less than $50.00. I might even consider ripping the jersey out of the frame and giving the frame away for free to the "picker upper".

Thanks,

Tim

Rob L
04-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Picked up another grail item - 1999 Troy Percival All-Star Game jersey.

mvandor
04-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Just amazed they haven't suspended all of YOUR accounts!

Kid4hof03
04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Rob,
Congratulations on the Percival! Just from reading the forums I was hoping that you would win it.

Abe

Rob L
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Rob,
Congratulations on the Percival! Just from reading the forums I was hoping that you would win it.

Abe

Thanks Abe. I wasn't sure I would win it. First time I had bid in a Grey Flannel auction and the extended bidding drove me crazy, but it worked out.

cjclong
04-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Anybody surprised the Clemens game used glove went that cheaply? Is the value of his stuff that low now or was this a questionable item?

DoctorLoomis
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I won the Arian Foster University of Tennessee gamer. I am a huge Vol fan and this jersey is really nice............

commando
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I picked up the Pete Catan Houston Gamblers jersey. I was the only bidder, and it does seem like most of the "common" type lots ended at very reasonable prices.

RKGIBSON
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Did anyone win the Ronnie Brown Auburn Jersey? if so I would be interested.
irestorecars@sbcglobal.net

Roger

nick1980
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
I picked up the Bo Jackson white sox jersey with team letter and the Arod steiner jersey.

karamaxjoe
04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I bid on the same jersey I bid on in the last GF auction. I also expect to bid on that same jersey in the next GF auction. What does that tell you?

Dewey2007
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
I picked up the following items last night:

Marshawn Lynch game used Bills jersey (photomatched to game on 10/19/08)
2- Dontrelle Willis game used jerseys. (2006 home jersey MLB Authenticated to game on 7/13/06).

Paid more then I had hoped for the Lynch but it looks like a great jersey. I now wish I had bid on it through Hunt Auctions a couple of months back but was looking at some other stuff at the time. Whoever flipped it made themselves a little bit of profit. Oh well, I plan on keeping it in my Cal Bears collection so I hope he stays out of trouble and just concentrates on being a Pro Bowl running back.

I had also been looking for a Willis Marlins home jersey and to get one that's MLB Authenticated and shows nice wear makes it that much better.

nickacs
04-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Anyone pick up any of the '92 Olympic Dream Team jerseys last night? I had bids on a few of them all during the night, but yea, got outbid at 3:30am when I had the winning bid from 9pm till 12:30am.. oh wells :)

I was surprised the Barkley took off as it did. After auction closed, it was jumping up a lot by the hour. Almost as much as the Jordan and Bird DT jerseys were going for by auction end..

Congrats to all!

33bird
04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I had my eye on the Ron Harper Bulls 97-98 Finals warmup set with Bulls letter. It went for 3K+! I wouldn't pay that much for a warmup set, but was glad it went that high. If this went for 3k, what would my Steve Kerr Bulls 97-98 Road Finals jersey and shorts with Bulls letter, go for? I would think more than a warm up set. Good news!
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

33bird
04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Actually, I just looked, and it ended and 3.6K+ w/out the 20%. That's 4k! Wow!

reed1216
04-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I was really trying to get the Nuggets Walter Davis uniform and possibly the home Suns Davis jersey. The prices went up at the end and I just couldn't justify bidding any higher than I did. Thankfully, I still have a road Davis from earlier in his career that I like better than what GF had to offer.

I was also surprised at how long the extended bidding went on and I'm in Arizona, so I enjoy the west coast bidding advantage. If I wasn't pulling an all nighter, studying for a final exam, I never would have lasted until the end.

Grey Flannel had a really nice selection of older basketball jerseys, but does anyone believe the recent ones are legit? I wouldn't touch a newer hoops jersey without MeiGray papers and/or a conclusive photomatch- period.

reed1216
04-30-2009, 06:27 PM
I should clarify that I wouldn't touch a recent NBA jersey without either MeiGray or team paperwork and/or a conclusive photomatch.

suicide_squeeze
04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
(Reaching into a brown paper sack)................I got a rock............

mvandor
04-30-2009, 08:16 PM
(Reaching into a brown paper sack)................I got a rock............

Really? I got a lump of coal.

Bah humbug!!! :eek:

suicide_squeeze
04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Anybody surprised the Clemens game used glove went that cheaply? Is the value of his stuff that low now or was this a questionable item?

Yes.........and yes!

Oh......IMO!!!

suicide_squeeze
04-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Really? I got a lump of coal.

Bah humbug!!! :eek:

Your account suspended too? :o :p

suicide_squeeze
04-30-2009, 08:47 PM
I bid on the same jersey I bid on in the last GF auction. I also expect to bid on that same jersey in the next GF auction. What does that tell you?

IMO......Let's see, TOP TEN THINGS it tells me........

10) It tells me that someone was trying to bid against you and get what they want for it.....cover they "cost".....maybe someone who may even be employed in a capacity at, or have the relationship with someone in the company, thereby avoiding any consignment fee....so "what the heck...hit it one more time!"

9) It tells me that they just will NOT give up until they succeed....

8) It tells me they may have won it in the last auction, found out it wasn't "what they wanted":rolleyes: , told Grey Flannel to keep it and just relist it in their next auction so they could save on the shipping of something they didn't want afterall.....and you lost out due to #10)......?

7) It tells me shill bidding may very well be alive and well in the industry?:eek:

6) But then there is always next auction to try again, right?

5) It tells me your C & D Letter is being prepared for making such a spiteful post on this thread.....

4) It tells me I may very well be one of the lucky ones, having my ability to bid in their auctions suspended indefinately.....

3) It tells me that....no matter how hard I dig, search, and inquire.....Pee Wee Reese STILL doesn't turn up in any of my google searches as a coach for the Dodgers in 1962......

2) It tells me that T.J. and Richard might eventually be visited by "uninvited guests" at the next "National"?

AND THE NUMBER ONE THING IT TELLS ME......IMO..........(drumroll).....

1) It tells me you had better make you you have a friend with an active account for their next auction in your attempt to win the same item again.....because yours is most likely inactive upon this reading!! (loud laughter and elongated applause):D

mvandor
04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Your account suspended too? :o :p

Of course. I'm SO jealous that all these other GUU guys can bid.

NOT.

Makes it clear they monitor this forum and manually blackball all critics. Sure their consignors appreciate that.

scottanservitz
04-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Greg,
I too was bidding on the Arrington and Davis jerseys. You did get a good deal as I only wanted the Davis and was going to sell the Arrington. As for the extended bidding is concerned, I go as high as I want on my max and then let it go........and it did!

Scott

G1X
05-01-2009, 12:34 AM
I still have a burgundy Arrington from 2004 on my price list for $400.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL and Atlanta Falcons jerseys

both-teams-played-hard
05-01-2009, 01:04 AM
This D.C. Truckers AAU jersey and warm-up set sold for $13,800.
http://greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=20605

It was a buy-it-now on eBay for $600 about 2 months ago. I wanted it for my collection, not for re-sale purposes. $600 was a grip then, and even more now.
It sold in about an hour. Thought it was worth about $1,500.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3858/truckers1.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5567/truckers2.jpg

BTW, that's Denver-Chicago, not the District of Columbia.

aeneas01
05-01-2009, 02:33 AM
IMO......Let's see, TOP TEN THINGS it tells me........

7) It tells me shill bidding may very well be alive and well in the industry?:eek:

and you wonder they come a knockin'... some folks just don't learn. mama mia.

aeneas01
05-01-2009, 02:35 AM
great to see that so many forum members landed so many nice pieces - guess the auction wasn't jam-packed with fakes after all...

i took a stab at lot #254 which "nefootballguy" asked about, the 9 game used football helmets, but fell well short and never followed up. frankly, i don't think there were too many big "steals" as far as the helmets were concerned - given what they were, i think they fetched pretty sold prices. however $1,300 for 16 game used usfl/wlaf hemets may have been a killer buy given there are some very ardent usfl collectors out there not shy about dropping $$. i was pretty surprise that lot#254, the 9 helmets, fetched $3,200 given that imo three of the helmets were nothing spectacular. but the other six were very nice so it's really not too much of a shocker - all told, it worked out to about $525+ per nice helmet (assuming one ignores the other three), a good deal for those lids but not a huge steal (imo). i also thought that $2,300 for the vintage redskins hamlin helmet signed redskins great hauss was a sold price..

anyway, some nice items to be sure....

TNTtoys
05-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Anyone here planning on picking up their winnings that are close to their office... I ended up winning the McNamee Stanton jersey for next to nothing, but it appears they might charge me $175.00 to ship it due to it's size. If any kind soul on the board would pick it up for me, please let me know. I know of several ways to ship it framed for less than $50.00. I might even consider ripping the jersey out of the frame and giving the frame away for free to the "picker upper".

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

The caveat to picking an item up in person is that you need to pay sales tax, as it is considered a "storefront transaction."

A few of us went in on a lot of 20 bats last year. The shipping was about $150 or so, but the auction house was only in the next state over (about a 30 mile drive). I don't know about the next guy, but I would gladly drive 60 miles round trip to save $150.00. But upon offering to pick up the bats, I found that if I did so, I would need to pay sales tax in excess of $200.00. Hardly worth the trip now!!!

I don't know what your jersey sold for, but you need to decide whether or not it is worth your while to pick it up first.

Nick

harleighb
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I picked up the 2008 GU and Signed Prince Fielder "Cerveceros Day" jersey. The jersey originally sold on MLB auctions for $740. I picked it up for $370 (before gavel fees). Give it a few months and I can look to get $185 for it. Who says sports memorabilia isn't a great investment?

It is a size 60 jersey, so I feel like I got a great deal on a $/per square foot of fabric basis.

Harleigh

suicide_squeeze
05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
and you wonder they come a knockin'... some folks just don't learn. mama mia.

Robert,

Hense the "IMO" to start it all off....

And it was all done in a humorous tone.

On a serious note, my high-tech security system is now intact, and my dad's WWII service revolver, fresh out of the shooting range, is in perfect freshly cleaned and fully loaded condition. It's a beaut.

Anybody is welcome to come knocking now. The wife even owns her own Glock, and was trained by her two brother-in laws (cops, LAPD). She's almost as good of a marksmen as me.

I'm going back after it here. I'm not going to be pushed around by anybody. But as stated before, I'll be more careful in the direct name-calling, and how I address my concerns. It will all be in the "IMO" form.

That will keep the letters away.

xpress34
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM

It will all be in the "IMO" form.

That will keep the letters away.

SS -

Hey the 'In my Opinion' thing seems to have worked for years for 'Uncle Lou'!!! :)

- Chris

aeneas01
05-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Robert,

And it was all done in a humorous tone.

suggesting that a business engages in criminal activities (shill bidding for example) without proof is begging for trouble regardless if you preface your comments with "imo" or offer them in a "humorous tone". you do understand this, right?

buckeyegamers
05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
If anyone picked up the Rob Moore and Jeff Graham Jets jerseys and would like to part with the Graham let me know.