PDA

View Full Version : Major league game, minor league balls

tigerdale
04-30-2009, 06:00 AM
what do you think of this.......I picked up these two balls at the tiger game the other night, both authenticated from the april 15 game vs the white sox. I've never seen minor league balls used in a major league game....plus, they're from 2 different minor leagues!! Wasn't this Jackie Robinson day....did they do something special for that?? If not, I wonder how they got into play...weird....

coxfan
04-30-2009, 06:21 AM
If nobody knows the answer, I'd suggest e-mailing the team President or GM. It might work!

As an aside, I'll note two things: 1) A friend of mine says he has spoken to official authenticators at the Charlotte Knights, the AAA team of the White Sox. They have the authority to call for any item they think is significant from play, and authenticate it. 2) The International League balls in 2008 had a special "125th anniversary 1884-2008" logo.

sox83cubs84
04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
what do you think of this.......I picked up these two balls at the tiger game the other night, both authenticated from the april 15 game vs the white sox. I've never seen minor league balls used in a major league game....plus, they're from 2 different minor leagues!! Wasn't this Jackie Robinson day....did they do something special for that?? If not, I wonder how they got into play...weird....
I've never encountered that on game baseballs, but I have seen it on rare occasions with BP baseballs. When Dave Henderson was with the Royals, he hit a line drive foul ball in BP which I caught on the fly, and discovered it was an American Association ball. Also, I got a long toss from Ellis Burks (White Sox) at New Comiskey that turned out to be a Midwest League baseball. My only though is baseballs getting mixed at MLB.farm team exhibitions, but as far as gamers go, I'm stumped.:confused:

Dave M.
Chicago area