PDA

View Full Version : Vintage game used signed vs. new signed baseball

JCC1968
05-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi group

Just wanted to weigh in on this subject. I hear alot of talk of graded new baseballs and new signatures vs. signatures on game used baseballs and historical with older signatures (and new signatures). Which ones do you collect and why? I always try to buy older game used baseball before new baseballs for two main reasons

1) Baseball with history is more interesting to me.

2) I enjoy doing research on baseballs

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Jason

mjkm90
05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
I have many newer (less than 15 yrs. old) autographed balls of the Mick, Dimaggio, Koufax, etc. But I also collect older team, single signed, and unsigned balls. I much prefer vintage, because of the time they represent. The way the game was, the way the players acted, the mystique of an earlier era. From a value perspective, vintage has significantly greater value. A Dimaggio autograph from his playing days is 10x more valuable than one from the 90s. I'll take newer autographs, but I just love anything old. I'm 40 but I feel a great deal of nostalgia about things that happened before I was born. I havn't looked up nostalgia in the dictionary, so maybe what I feel is something different since I didn't experience listening to those old games, seeing the old players (live), or reading the paper the day after those games.