PDA

View Full Version : Clubhouse Attendant - NY Mets

allstarsplus
04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Funny story. So yesterday I am on my cellphone with a collector friend of mine (who is a Forum member) and he mentions the name Mead Chasky in a discussion about Longoria. I say something back in the phone, something about "Mead Chasky and Gary Sheffield".

My buddy sitting next to me pipes up and says, "I know Mead Chasky". I'm like "HUH"?

He says, "Yah, from my time with the Mets". I am blown away.

My friend Eric is from NYC and moved to Washington DC almost 20 years ago to take a job with the Secret Service and now works for the local Police Dept. Our kids have been playing High School baseball together for 2 years. We see each other a lot and I have taken him to Mets/Nats games. He doesn't brag and he doesn't Bullsh-t. I knew he worked for the NY Mets but always thought it was on the grounds crew.

Yesterday, I find out that he was the Asst. Clubhouse Attendant in the Visitors clubhouse at Shea Stadium through 1989 and started as a part-time ballboy when he was 17.

So, I am blown away and start peppering him with questions. He has a 1986 World Series ring with his name on it, and a lot of game used items and memorabilia. He says he has never sold anything and hopes to give his collection to his son.

Knowing he had the National League visitors clubhouse, I had to ask about Barry Bonds who he had as a Rookie when the Pirates visited and for a few more seasons before Eric "retired" from the Mets. Hilarious stories.

He knew what I did with Game Used items, and we never had this discussion until yesterday.

So it took the name "Mead Chasky" for this revelation. :D

metsbats
04-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Wow! Great story Andrew!

grenda12
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Cool story!