PDA

View Full Version : OT: A Shoutout To My 11-7 (.611) Buccos...

aeneas01
04-26-2009, 08:13 PM
only 5 teams have a better winning percentage and in their last 9 games they've taken 2 of 3 from atlanta, swept the marlins and taken 2 of 3 from the padres. of course the bad news is it's a 162 game season and the bucs haven't finished above .500 in a whopping 16 years - they will bypass the phillies and set the mlb record for futility, 17 consecutive losing seasons, if they finish below .500 again this year... mama mia.

helmets
04-27-2009, 07:58 AM
What's this got to do with football helmets? Get back to work!

TAFKADixie
04-27-2009, 08:13 PM
only 5 teams have a better winning percentage and in their last 9 games they've taken 2 of 3 from atlanta, swept the marlins and taken 2 of 3 from the padres. of course the bad news is it's a 162 game season and the bucs haven't finished above .500 in a whopping 16 years - they will bypass the phillies and set the mlb record for futility, 17 consecutive losing seasons, if they finish below .500 again this year... mama mia.

All true. Yet we still love our Pirates! Must say something about us (though I'm not exactly sure what that is).

aeneas01
04-28-2009, 05:50 PM
What's this got to do with football helmets? Get back to work!

following the bucs allows for much work to get done!

All true. Yet we still love our Pirates! Must say something about us (though I'm not exactly sure what that is).

all the more sweet when they return to glory....

aeneas01
05-07-2009, 02:03 AM
like clockwork - give a shout out to the boys and they promptly go 1-8, lose 8 of their next 9. good grief...

hrvatwill
05-07-2009, 07:49 AM
aeneas01,

Not only that, but this streak has contained some particularly painful torture -- even for the Buccos' standards -- in the form of their 17th straight loss to Milwaukee and three shutouts against in four games. Somebody please release me from the baseball purgatory in which I have been stuck for 17 years -- I have tried but I can't give them up. Oh well, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health.........

helmets
05-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I put the whammy hex on them so that you will have more time for meaningful educational posts. Post some photos of your own helmets, and I will remove the hex.

princip
05-07-2009, 08:23 AM
I put the whammy hex on them so that you will have more time for meaningful educational posts. Post some photos of your own helmets, and I will remove the hex.

I second that. Well, I don't know about the hex, yet, I would love to see some helmets from your collection Robert.

aeneas01
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
ask and you shall receive... the first collection i obtained from a well known tavern in the boston area, hooligan's, where both the boston patriots and visiting teams frequented after games in the '50s, '60s and '70s. every helmet, except for the falcons, belonged to a hall of famer - if the falcons ever put a guy in the hall (that started with their franchise), then this collection would be complete, i would find that player's name somewhere on the lid. i was very lucky to land this collection, it was in the owner of the tavern's family for five decades, but i happened to be one helluva bagpiper in my youth and worked out a trade, had quite a following. long since closed, sadly, no survivors of the family either - heck, can't even find anyone that remembers the place, or any google hits, it was on....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/gu02-1.jpg

now this collection carries a lot of sentimental value given that pop, rest his soul, and i would travel the countryside when i was just a kid, during my summer breaks, and drop in on our favorite players. pop would shave my head and fit me with a gauze eye patch during these trips, still not sure why, but we never seemed to leave a house without a helmet. those were the days...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/gu01-1.jpg

Jake51
05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Robert,

I hate to say this but I'm afraid you may have been duped on the BRONCS lids in your stellar collection.

Mask placement is way off on the lid in the upper picture and it is pretty clear to me that the center stripe on the helmet in the lower picture is from an 1987 7-11 gumball machine, but the shell color dates itself as a 1984 Shop-N-Go version.

Sorry to break the bad news to you! :(

Thanks,

Tom

helmets
05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Looks like the Buccos are in for some rough times ahead...

corsairs22
05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
It does look grim again. At least they had a couple of good weeks. If they ever get their act together, I may start to collect something besides vintage material.

helmets
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
It does look grim again. At least they had a couple of good weeks. If they ever get their act together, I may start to collect something besides vintage material.
I meant due to Robert's failure to comply with the terms of the extortion...

helmets
05-08-2009, 05:15 AM
Another loss and only 4 hits.

Robert, do you need to borrow a camera?

cordovacollector
05-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Robert ~

Your GI Joes called, they have a big game tomorrow and want their helmets back. Their jocks are missing too ... can you send an email to KyleHess? :eek:

Mom

helmets
05-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Psst...
Anyone hear how Delgado did tonight?

It may be time to take just one photo...

helmets
05-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Anyone know how the Mets did this weekend?

I think that is 12 losses in a row Robert...

aeneas01
09-25-2009, 03:58 AM
well five months have bolted by since my buccos started the season with a glorious 11-7 (.611) mark... since then they've gone a typical 44-88 (.338) and have secured the record for the losingest team in mlb history, 17 consecutive years of sub .500 ball. mama mia. here's to hoping the nationals can overtake the pirates in final 10 games, leaving the pirates with the worst record in the league this year - might as well put an exclamation mark on the 17-year streak. at least i have my rams.... wait a minute...

TriplexXxSports
09-25-2009, 06:35 AM
at least i have my rams.... wait a minute...

Robert,

Aren't the Rams ranked last in total offense with only 7 points accumulated? Tough game with the Pack this weekend?

It looks like you are in for another loooooooong season. I would post some pics of your stash and just be done with it already. :D