PDA

View Full Version : roger maris autograph

lowell25
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I hoping someone can help me out with an autograhed question. Does any one know if it was rare for Roger Maris to sign an autograped? I would love to obtain one but prices are extremely high. Also, I noticed there are alot of chit signatures of his or 3 x 5 cards. Please help.
Thanks

ndevlin
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
If you plan on buying a Maris auto, it can be quite expensive, especially depending on what you want it on.

A BB card could run you a couple hundred. Im looking at a b&w postcard thats signed and psa/dna at $100 right now.

suave1477
04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
I am a ig follower of Maris autographs. He did not sign a lot but he did sign, so they are out there but no where near the amount of Mantle.

Cards
Single signed Baseballs

Are the 2 rarest.

His value has increased with the passed few years (5 to 10)
Due to the attention brought back to him through the single season home run race and of course the movie *61

So his prices have sky rocketed.

But be careful due to this, there have been a lot of fakes out there.

sox83cubs84
04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Until he was too ill to do so, Maris routinely signed cards, 3x5s, and other small items sent with a SASE to his Gainesville FL address.
I agree that single-signed baseballs are scarce and fraught with forgery problems. The current single-signed baseball pereference was just getting its sea legs in the mid-1980s, and genuine such items are tough. While Maris DID have a time frame to sign Bobby Brown "Haiti" AL baseballs, that time frame was short...well under 2 years...and numerous forgeries on the Bobby Brown AL baseballs with the Haiti notation by the Rawlings logo, are in circulation.:mad: Plus, very few collectors sent out baseballs in that era.

Dave M.
Chicago area

B1SON
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Lowell,

Send me an email and maybe I can help you out. I live in Fargo (Roger's hometown) and my uncle is the chairman of the Roger Maris Golf Tourney (which is in it's 26th year). Roger always signed when he was alive and actually golfed in the tourney, so a lot of Fargo people especially those connectedc to the tourney have several old programs from the tourney. I'll ask around and see what I can do for you. We used to get all the big names...Moose, Yogi, Micky...but they are old or passed away now. So, we've moved on to the cast of 61. This year, director Billy Crystal is coming, announcer Bob Costas, Barry Pepper (Roger) and most of the other actors. True sports celebrities have been cut down to basically local celebrities.

suicide_squeeze
04-27-2009, 11:36 PM
I hoping someone can help me out with an autograhed question. Does any one know if it was rare for Roger Maris to sign an autograped? I would love to obtain one but prices are extremely high. Also, I noticed there are alot of chit signatures of his or 3 x 5 cards. Please help.
Thanks

A couple of authentic examples for you.....

ndevlin
04-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Here is mine on a 1968 Cardinals program, along with several other players.

http://image71.webshots.com/71/0/17/85/2822017850087102894CyBBsD_ph.jpg