PDA

View Full Version : Any Way To Get Packing Peanuts Off of Pinetar?

nomarmauerfan
04-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey Guys,
I won a bat off of ebay. When it arrived today, the box was filled with packing peanuts. Needless to say, they are stuck all over the pinetar. Is there any way to get them off without ruining the bat? I've contacted the seller and am waiting on a response. Thanks.

Mike

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/mikandrea/IMG_8074.jpg

Mike

xpress34
04-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Mike -

Not sure if you're married or have a girlfriend, but if you do, they probably have nail polish remover. Not as strong as pure acetate, but it will 'melt' styrofoam.

My suggestion would be to use a LINT free towel (Not Paper Towels or Cotton Balls as they will just add to your issue!) - make sure your not planning on using the towel again! Pour the Nail Polish Remover onto the towel and DAB the spots... it you rub it, you may remove some of the pine tar. It should melt the styrofoam and remove it.

That's my best suggestion. I'm not sure that 'Goo Be Gone' or another cleaner like that would be strong enough to remove the styrofoam with hard rubbing which might just make the situation worse...

If anyone has any better suggestions I'm all ears as well,

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
04-25-2009, 04:06 PM
P.S. -

MMMMMM Chocolate Eggs!!! :p

- Chris

gameused
04-25-2009, 04:29 PM
This has happened to me twice, don't put anything on the bat, just take a tweezer and remove it piece by piece, it's a pain in the ass and takes time but it's only safe way to remove it without removing the pine tar and getting the bat back to it's orginal condition.

Vintagedeputy
04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I would drive to the seller's house and beat him with the bat until all of the styrofoam peanuts fell off.

But that's just what I would do......

xpress34
04-25-2009, 05:04 PM
I would drive to the seller's house and beat him with the bat until all of the styrofoam peanuts fell off.

But that's just what I would do......

:D Yer killin' me Deputy... I was going to say that in my original post, but I didn't want to be accused of a violent act... but hey, you are a Deputy, right? :p

nomarmauerfan
04-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. Yeah, I am incredibly disappointed. I collect Morneau bats and finally got my 2008, only to have it arrive as you see. I do not want the pinetar off as that is one of his big trademarks. I will try the tweezer thing. I also went to the store and will try the lint-free cloth and dab of nail polish remover if needed. The seller offered a full refund, but, I'd love to save it. Chris, my kids are still working on their Easter candy. I was so anxious to get help that I didn't crop the pic:) . Anyway, thanks again. If the tweezers don't work, then I may just follow Deputy's advice. Does anyone know if blood takes it off:eek: .

Mike

Vintagedeputy
04-25-2009, 09:21 PM
:D Yer killin' me Deputy... I was going to say that in my original post, but I didn't want to be accused of a violent act... but hey, you are a Deputy, right? :p

Used to be. I own my own firearms training company now.

In retrospect, maybe the idea of beating the seller with the bat was too harsh...

People do fall down stairs though....sometimes they trip over baseball bats laying at the top of the stairs.

joelsabi
04-25-2009, 09:50 PM
just curious how it was packaged and how this could have been prevented. should the bat have been in a plastic or would that stick also to the pinetar. just wandering what advice or packing directions to an item that is stickey.

suicide_squeeze
04-25-2009, 10:39 PM
What a shame.

That's what I would expect from the typical "moron seller" on ebay. But a guy who's selling a game used bat?

What, is $2-$3.00 too much to spend to ship the bat in a bat tube, or even wrap it in bubblewrap? This fine individual had to place it in a box with the styrofoam peanuts right up against it?

Tool. MAN, I'd be pissed.

Hey, if you're going to try the nail polish remover suggestion, try a real small area first and make sure it doesn't dissolve the pine tar too. Nail polish remover is known to also remove unwanted ink on jerseys, but the stuff can do damage, so be careful.

suicide_squeeze
04-25-2009, 10:47 PM
just curious how it was packaged and how this could have been prevented. should the bat have been in a plastic or would that stick also to the pinetar. just wandering what advice or packing directions to an item that is stickey.

Tha best way to ship a game used bat in in a clear plastic bat tube with a small square piece of small-bubbled bubble wrap, cut to about a 3" x 6 1/2" piece, folded over (doubled up) and slid all the way to the bottom of the bat tube where the end of the barrel will settle.

Then take another piece of the same bubble wrap, cut it to a 3" wide by 12-14" long piece, and wrap it around the handle of the bat until it fills the void in the tube. Then, place another piece of bubble wrap at the top (end of the handle) before placing the black rubber end cap on.

This will keep the bat in a suspended state, not rubbing any signature that may be on it, and not allow any "rubbing" on any surface of the bat while it's in transit. Any other way is risking damage to it.

nomarmauerfan
04-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Well, I took Gameused's advice and sat there picking with tweezers for nearly 2 hours. I'm much more pleased now. Not perfect by any means. But, it displays much nicer now. What do you guys think?

Mike

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/mikandrea/IMG_8079.jpg

xpress34
04-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Mike -

Looks much better...

BUT, where are my Chocolate Eggs?!?! :rolleyes:

All the best -

Chris

suicide_squeeze
04-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I'd take the earlier advice.....I'd still seek out the seller and beat him with the bat...