PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez Dodgers Jersey in Historic Auctions

kylehess10
04-25-2009, 03:05 AM
The exterior tag shows good use with "PROPERTY OF LOS ANGELES DODGERS 2008" faded a little while the interior "0063" washing tag makes it look like a brand new jersey. Atleast one washing could make the tag curl, but as you can see, the picture of the "0063" tag was taken without anyone holding it out to un-curl it. Besides all of that, there's no Steiner letter or MLB hologram, which you would expect to see for a Manny Ramirez Dodgers jersey.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:5KcZNIjb-4wJ:www.historicauctions.com/search/list/auctionid/48158/+manny+ramirez+historic+auctions+2008+jersey&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

kingjammy24
04-25-2009, 09:32 AM
i guess my 2 cents differs. i don't believe the exterior tag shows good use. i can't see any fading. if there's a miniscule amount it might be as a result of the camera/lighting or a result of the printer that printed the tag. i also don't believe tag curling would start after 1 wash anymore than it currently is. try the experiment out yourself...many pants come with similar paper tags (my eddie bauer khakis do). get a pair..toss 'em in the wash once. see if the tag curls.

finally, sean mahoney of steiner has said that the reason steiner didn't receive any ramirez dodgers shirts was because ramirez took them all and didn't give steiner any.

rudy.

sportscentury
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
For comparison, Ron at Calif. Sports Investments has home and road Manny's for sale:

http://www.californiasportsinv.com/page.php?pid=42&sportid=1

kingjammy24
04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
there don't appear to be any steiner or mlb stickers on any of ron's 2008 dodgers shirts. looks like ramirez wasn't the only one to give his shirts to another marketing outfit.

rudy.

kingjammy24
04-25-2009, 05:04 PM
a couple months ago, GFC had a 2008 road ramirez for sale on their website. no MLB or steiner sticker.

rudy.

gameused
04-25-2009, 05:49 PM
[B]There seems to be a lot of Manny home Dodgers jersey floating around.
Manny played a few months for the Dodgers in 2008 and I bet you he used only one home and away jersey for the rest of 2008 season, those jerseys you see were most likely hanging in his locker and did not see any game use, that's why the tags are so crisp.

I was offered a signed Manny Dodgers home jersey last year with a 2" extra length tag, the tags were crisp and the autograph was his fast version located on the back above his number, I passed on the jersey as I don't think it was game worn.

Bobby

gameused
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
[B]There seems to be a lot of Manny home Dodgers jersey floating around.
Manny played a few months for the Dodgers in 2008 and I bet you he used only one home and away jersey for the rest of 2008 season, those jerseys you see were most likely hanging in his locker and did not see any game use, that's why the tags are so crisp.

I was offered a signed Manny Dodgers home jersey last year with a 2" extra length tag, the tags were crisp and the autograph was his fast version located on the back above his number, I passed on the jersey as I don't think it was game worn.

Bobby

I made a mistake the tag was a -2" body tag, which was attached above the 0063 wash tag.

Bobby

suicide_squeeze
04-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I am familiar with all of the jerseys being spoken of here.

Ron's are bad. Even if he thinks it's good and received it from a "reputable" Dodger source he thinks is a friend.

So are all the rest.

This Historic Auctions one is a laugher too.

Manny keeps his game used stuff. I think it goes to family, friends, and if he decides down the road, maybe a piece or two to auction....but that's not happened with his Dodger stuff.

Look at the jersey in the Historic Auctions. Here's all you need to know...

The spacing between the letters on the back are too close....at the bottom, and all the way up between them. This is THE classic "giveaway" when you see these jerseys. Also, the "R" and the "Z", the first and last letters, respectively, are not properly placed in respect to the number "99" on the back. They almost line up with the outside of the numbers, maybe extending past them just a minute amount.

For comparison's sake, check out any of the pictures on getty images of Manny, which shows his nob, and you'll see the difference. There is more "white jersey" space between the "I" on Manny gamers than the thickness of the "I" itself, between the "M" and the "R" on either side of it......that is not the case on ALL of these other jerseys. It is not happenstance people, it is a consistent phenomenon on all of these so-called "Manny gamers" being sold out in the public.

These offered albatrosses are NOT made for game use. They are NOT of the same quality in placement of the name on the back, instead intentionally set a bit closer, maybe for identification of this fact.

So the real question is.....who is supplying these dupes to the public? Are they maybe being ordered by the Dodger organization as "giveaways" to special baseball people, or their families? Are they some kind of a marketing tool, placed on display at certain events, which happen to end up in the public's hands misrepresented at that point as Manny gamers?

It's a mystery....I hope one day gets solved, because people are getting duped here.

gameused
04-25-2009, 11:45 PM
I am familiar with all of the jerseys being spoken of here.

Ron's are bad. Even if he thinks it's good and received it from a "reputable" Dodger source he thinks is a friend.

So are all the rest.

This Historic Auctions one is a laugher too.

Manny keeps his game used stuff. I think it goes to family, friends, and if he decides down the road, maybe a piece or two to auction....but that's not happened with his Dodger stuff.

Look at the jersey in the Historic Auctions. Here's all you need to know...

The spacing between the letters on the back are too close....at the bottom, and all the way up between them. This is THE classic "giveaway" when you see these jerseys. Also, the "R" and the "Z", the first and last letters, respectively, are not properly placed in respect to the number "99" on the back. They almost line up with the outside of the numbers, maybe extending past them just a minute amount.

For comparison's sake, check out any of the pictures on getty images of Manny, which shows his nob, and you'll see the difference. There is more "white jersey" space between the "I" on Manny gamers than the thickness of the "I" itself, between the "M" and the "R" on either side of it......that is not the case on ALL of these other jerseys. It is not happenstance people, it is a consistent phenomenon on all of these so-called "Manny gamers" being sold out in the public.

These offered albatrosses are NOT made for game use. They are NOT of the same quality in placement of the name on the back, instead intentionally set a bit closer, maybe for identification of this fact.

So the real question is.....who is supplying these dupes to the public? Are they maybe being ordered by the Dodger organization as "giveaways" to special baseball people, or their families? Are they some kind of a marketing tool, placed on display at certain events, which happen to end up in the public's hands misrepresented at that point as Manny gamers?

It's a mystery....I hope one day gets solved, because people are getting duped here.

Suicide,

Good eye, I completely agree with you on the nameplate and numbers.

Also, think about it, if your a MLB player wouldn't you want to wear the same broken in jersey for games?

Also, I have seen pics of Manny's Red Sox pants were you can see multiple sew repair stitching on the backside, he uses the same pants until they cant be worn any longer, I would think it would be the same for his jerseys.

These jerseys are a joke!

Bobby

suicide_squeeze
04-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Here are a few pictures for your comparison.....you be the judge.

It becomes fairly easy to see the spacing difference between the letters...

The first picture is the Historic Auctions jersey Kyle brought in question....The rest are Manny gamers

suicide_squeeze
04-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I asked a guy who was selling one of these to send me a picture proving it was "photo matched" as he claimed.....here's what he sent me....

AthleticsFan
04-26-2009, 12:03 AM
there don't appear to be any steiner or mlb stickers on any of ron's 2008 dodgers shirts. looks like ramirez wasn't the only one to give his shirts to another marketing outfit.

rudy.

Actually, the Ethier and LaRoche jerseys both have Steiner stickers and letters.

cohibasmoker
04-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Are all of Manny's Dodgers jersey coming from Manny himself? For what it worth, it seems to me that Manny, whenever he can and without being fined by MLB, pulls one side of his jersey out and that side happens to be the side of the jersey where the tags are located for all to see. Is this his way of saying, hey here's what the tags look like if you want one of my jerseys, I have them and you can photo-match them if you want. Didn't Barry Bonds walk around in similar fashion showcasing the Bonds label?

Just my opinion,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

suicide_squeeze
04-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Taking a closer look at the front, more problems.

The first picture below is the Histroic Auctions Manny "gamer", front side.

The script is all wrong, being too skinny in quite a few locations. This is best illustrated, given the front shot of the jersey supplied by Historic, by looking at the bottom of the "e" as the lines cross over. Compare it to the last picture I posted...

The second button from the top of the jersey is also improperly positioned in relation to the top of the second blue "d" in Dodgers. Look at the pictures I posted up close of the Manny jerseys.

Lastly, I noticed the underlining of the script "Dodgers" appears to carry a bit too far under the first "D" of Dodgers. The one offered by Histori appears to end almost totally under the "D", as on the real games it doesn't make it to the spot where the "D" starts.

All very easy observations....just pointing to all of the problems with these "gamers" of Manny's that appear. I haven't even bothered to look at the home and away jerseys on California Sports Investments site, because the name on the back has the same problems as this Historic one offered, so it would be just an exercise I don't need to do. But I'm sure if I did, the front would have these same issues too.

suicide_squeeze
04-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I could keep going...

Look where the first "D" in Dodgers crosses and attaches to the "o", the second letter of the Dodgers.....they don't match up. On the real Dodgers gamers, they run into the "o" in a lower position, and also, when the "o" takes off to cross over and move onto the next letter, it looks too squared off as it goes through the "o".

I could go on, but suffice it to say the script is all wrong. Not going to find this Historic Auctions jersey on Dodger Stadium grass.....unless a fan is wearing it and runs onto the field.

Then it would get some real game use as he would be dragged off by security....

gamer35
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Firstly, before I post anything, there are alot of generalizations being thrown around in this thread. Do I think the jerseys from Historic or CSI are good? I wouldnt personally go for them, but some of the reasoning thrown around in this thread is offbase.

1. Based on viewing video footage, Manny wore at least 4 different home shirts during his tenure with the Dodgers during 2008. His first jersey was worn for only one game, followed by a shirt that seemed to make it through August. He then had a new jersey for the SD and Arizona series, followed by a different shirt for the Dodger's shirts off our backs promotions. I'm assuming a new one was used in the SF series, but I am not sure.

In regard to the placement of the numbers, I think its a bold generalization to state that any lettering that matches up with the end of the second 9 is a bad shirt. If you watch the August 1st game or any game from the SD or Arizona series, you will see that the Z in "Ramirez" lines up perfectly with the second 9.

Granted, I think the script is a problem on these jerseys in question, but I am not sure that the placement of the name on the reverse necessarily indicates whether or not the jersey is bad. You just need to do your homework on these shirts as there is only a two month period to review.

Would anyone happen to know what size Manny actually wore with the Dodgers? Ive seen size 56 with no size flag as well as size 56 with -2 length.

suicide_squeeze
04-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Firstly, before I post anything, there are alot of generalizations being thrown around in this thread. Do I think the jerseys from Historic or CSI are good? I wouldnt personally go for them, but some of the reasoning thrown around in this thread is offbase.

1. Based on viewing video footage, Manny wore at least 4 different home shirts during his tenure with the Dodgers during 2008. His first jersey was worn for only one game, followed by a shirt that seemed to make it through August. He then had a new jersey for the SD and Arizona series, followed by a different shirt for the Dodger's shirts off our backs promotions. I'm assuming a new one was used in the SF series, but I am not sure.

In regard to the placement of the numbers, I think its a bold generalization to state that any lettering that matches up with the end of the second 9 is a bad shirt. If you watch the August 1st game or any game from the SD or Arizona series, you will see that the Z in "Ramirez" lines up perfectly with the second 9.

Granted, I think the script is a problem on these jerseys in question, but I am not sure that the placement of the name on the reverse necessarily indicates whether or not the jersey is bad. You just need to do your homework on these shirts as there is only a two month period to review.

Would anyone happen to know what size Manny actually wore with the Dodgers? Ive seen size 56 with no size flag as well as size 56 with -2 length.

gamer35,

Who's generalizing?

Speaking for myself, I am stating opinions based on visual proof, and I have given it via pictures to back up my opinions. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could determine how many jerseys a player wore during their tenure with a team by viewing "video footage".....to me, that's a real stab in dark. If you are accurate in your assesment of the jerseys Manny wore as a Dodger in 2008, I would guess that it would be because you wer given the informatiuon from someone who knows.....not "video footage".

I was simply stating that there are SEVERAL problems with ALL of the Manny Ramirez jerseys that have hit the market as "gamers".

Take a look at the Jeff Kent Dodger home "gamer" in Historic Auctions. The script on the front is more closely resembling the true Dodger gamers, and is definately different from the Manny jersey in the same auction. How do you explain that? But then you turn it over, and you have the cramped placement of the last name again. NOWHERE can you find a picture of KENT spaced like it is on that jersey. Are you going to start checking the "video footage" to contradict visual proof and state that is a "generalization"? Please, by all means, if you can post a picture from the footage, I would love to see anything you want to present to us all.

I have yet to see ONE (Manny jersey) that I would say passes the simplest of all tests....visual inspection.

I am a very big Manny fan, and nothing would make me happier than finding an authentic home Dodger gamer of his to add to my collection.

That said.....there aren't any out there. I have posted in the "Items wanted" thread for one a while back.....nothing authentic came of it.

DoctorLoomis
04-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Suicide....all of your evidence is compelling and the Historic jersey is without a doubt impeached. Further, the simple thickness of the "e" that you mentioned was a slam dunk. It isn't even in the ball park...........

gamer35
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
gamer35,

Who's generalizing?

Speaking for myself, I am stating opinions based on visual proof, and I have given it via pictures to back up my opinions. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could determine how many jerseys a player wore during their tenure with a team by viewing "video footage".....to me, that's a real stab in dark. If you are accurate in your assesment of the jerseys Manny wore as a Dodger in 2008, I would guess that it would be because you wer given the informatiuon from someone who knows.....not "video footage".

I was simply stating that there are SEVERAL problems with ALL of the Manny Ramirez jerseys that have hit the market as "gamers".

Take a look at the Jeff Kent Dodger home "gamer" in Historic Auctions. The script on the front is more closely resembling the true Dodger gamers, and is definately different from the Manny jersey in the same auction. How do you explain that? But then you turn it over, and you have the cramped placement of the last name again. NOWHERE can you find a picture of KENT spaced like it is on that jersey. Are you going to start checking the "video footage" to contradict visual proof and state that is a "generalization"? Please, by all means, if you can post a picture from the footage, I would love to see anything you want to present to us all.

I have yet to see ONE (Manny jersey) that I would say passes the simplest of all tests....visual inspection.

I am a very big Manny fan, and nothing would make me happier than finding an authentic home Dodger gamer of his to add to my collection.

That said.....there aren't any out there. I have posted in the "Items wanted" thread for one a while back.....nothing authentic came of it.

Since you are the resident expert on all things Manny Ramirez, I will not comment any further. However, it really isnt that hard to watch video from every Dodger game, take screen shots of the jersey in question, and then line up the numerals on the reverse with the name using photoshop programs.

Your insight on these shirts is a big plus; however, your cavalier attitude when someone shares additional information is disconcerting. Like I said, I agree with you on the script on the front. However, all I was stating was that Manny did indeed wear jerseys in which the name on the reverse matches up with the numbers.

suicide_squeeze
04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Since you are the resident expert on all things Manny Ramirez, I will not comment any further. However, it really isnt that hard to watch video from every Dodger game, take screen shots of the jersey in question, and then line up the numerals on the reverse with the name using photoshop programs.

Your insight on these shirts is a big plus; however, your cavalier attitude when someone shares additional information is disconcerting. Like I said, I agree with you on the script on the front. However, all I was stating was that Manny did indeed wear jerseys in which the name on the reverse matches up with the numbers.

gamer35,

(handing you my piece pipe.....)

Partner, I do not attempt in any way to be condesending to ANY of the members here. If I came off that way, I sincerely apologize.

All I am saying is if you have something that shows what you are stating, please.....sincerely.....please try to post it. I would love for anyone to share anything they have to help in determining the truth behind all of these mystery jerseys.

nationals2k9
03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi guys -- same with this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320504687946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks!