PDA

View Full Version : 70s Joe Morgan Jersey in Legendary Auction

diamondicons1
04-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Any thoughts on this 1970s Morgan Jersey. Are there any characteristics that can better define the year in which it was used. Also, any concerns on the label. Appears as though there was additional stitching and if you look at the closeup image it appears as though there may have been tagging at one time. Thanks for all the help out there!

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=97006

sox83cubs84
04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
The location and style of the Wilson tag would indicate 1974 or 1975. The NL Centennial patch (or an imprint of one) would be on the sleeve on a 1976 jersey, and 1977s had year/set tail tags. Tag just looks doublestitched on top and sloppily affixed on the bottom, to me.

Dave M.
Chicago area

suicide_squeeze
04-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Any thoughts on this 1970s Morgan Jersey. Are there any characteristics that can better define the year in which it was used. Also, any concerns on the label. Appears as though there was additional stitching and if you look at the closeup image it appears as though there may have been tagging at one time. Thanks for all the help out there!

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=97006

There definately was tagging underneath the manufacturers tag. It has been cut off, you can see the cut edge.

The significance of this? Who knows. I have seen a few pro gamers with the tagging cut off like this, for different reasons.

The only significant comment I can make here is this: Barry Halper was given most of the items he obtained by the players themselves. This item was an ex-halper item. Was this one given by Morgan to Halper? Who knows, since it apparently isn't offered with a letter from Mr. Halper himself. And since he has passed away, there is no chance to ask him.

Assuming you are a Morgan fan...you bid on and win this auction....to dive deep into the provenance, I would suggest the best way to authenticate it would be to try to meet up with Morgan one day, perhaps at a signing. Upon meeting him, present him the jersey, and ask him if he remembers ever giving Barry Halper one of his jerseys. If he says he did, tell him you believe this is the one as it came from his collection (documentation of the jersey should be in the well-publicized two-volumn catalog of his collection which went to auction in 1999). He may give you feedback that will corroberate this info. He may tell you why he cut off the tagging?

Or, he may tell you he's never worn a size 40 since pony league.:eek: It's all about the thrill of the chase.....good luck!

33bird
04-25-2009, 12:15 AM
I had a Morgan jersey and it was size 40-with the Giants. He was a little dude.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com