PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to red sox / yanks on sat.

GoTigers
04-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Just got in to Boston last night, and going to the game on sat. Anyone know where to eat, or some can't miss sights?

eisenreich8
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
You like beer? There's the Boston Beer Works right across Brookline Ave from the Pahk. Or the Cask & Flagon at Brookline and Lansdowne Sts. Get your sausages outside the Green Monster, where the street vendors were coralled some time ago, on Lansdowne St. before the game. Look for a vendor named Harry, greet him by name, and you may get a free bottled water or something.

You like Italian food? Take a taxi to the North End and anyone there can direct you to some wonderful, authentic Italian cuisine.

You like history? While you're in the North End, ask how to get to the Paul Revere statue, then walk a straight line past and beyond it and visit the Old North Church, and even beyond that, Copp's Hill Burial Ground. Nice OLD stuff.

Go to the Mass. State House (bright gold dome) and walk BEHIND it, all throught the back streets of Beacon Hill. That's where the old blueblood money lived and the neighborhood is very peaceful and mostly unchanged. Gorgeous. Then, go back out front of the State House and continue down Beacon Street and you will have the ancient Boston Common on your left and the Public Gardens next to that. The Cheers bar, touristy as it is, is on your right.

If you can, get on Commonwealth Ave and walk the length of it till you hit Fenway (use the Citgo sign as your beacon). The brownstones and other beautiful buildings all along the way, divided by a tree lined median with park benches, etc., is way cool.

There are many, many other things to do right in the vicinity of Fenway that you can entertain yourself with. Just avoid the panhandlers you may encounter anywhere around Boston Common and Fenway areas.

Post again for specific areas of interest you may have. I lived in suburban Boston for 45 years and miss it a lot, especially this time of year.

Have fun at the Pahk! And get your souvenirs at Twins Enterprises across Yawkey Way. No unlicensed, cheap knockoffs there. No matter where your seats are, make your way up to the roof, and down the right field line, to the huge Budweiser sign. There is an awesome bar there made from the old bowling alley lanes that used to be across from the Cask & Flagon.

GoTigers
04-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the great info. We made it to beacon hill/ Boston common/ trinity church/ and the cheers bar today, also went by paul reveer/john hancock/ and sam Adam's graves. Do the twins enterprise sell game used items? Do they sell stuff at Fenway too? Really aprieciate the help.

emann
04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the great info. We made it to beacon hill/ Boston common/ trinity church/ and the cheers bar today, also went by paul reveer/john hancock/ and sam Adam's graves. Do the twins enterprise sell game used items? Do they sell stuff at Fenway too? Really aprieciate the help.

I was just at Fenway last night for a game... The Red Sox store on Lansdowne sells some game used items but they are pricey. They only had a few bats: Ortiz from $400-$1000, couple cracked Jason Bay bats for $400 and an Ellsbury (Pedroia model) for $250. They blew out most of their GU stuff at a big "yard sale" a few months back.

Couple other places to go that are cool: Harvard Square and Newbury street. Harvard Square has well, Harvard and a number of cool shops... Newbury is mostly upscale shops and some good spots to eat.

PlatinumMarketing
04-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Having lived in Boston for the last 3 years and being a big sports fan, I think I might be able to recommend a few things for you to check out. There is a bar at 911 Boylston Street called McGreevys which is an old bar that they made into a re-creation of the original "Nuf Ced McGreevys 3rd Base Saloon" which was named the "America's 1st Sports Bar". Inside you will find the walls from floor to ceiling displaying quite possibly the largest collection of artifacts and original pieces of Boston Sports Memorabilia that you will ever see. Most of the items are from the original bar and a few of the owners are from the home based Boston band "Dropkick Murphys". A real treat for any Sports Fan with a great atmosphere. A good place to watch any sporting event as well.

The website is www.mcgreevysboston.com

The second recommendation that I can make is to get over to the Fenway area before the game on Saturday, or even on Friday even though you don't have tickets to that game. The whole atmosphere for the 1st Red Sox/Yankees series will be a great scene.

You couldn't have picked a better time to visit. The Celts are in the Playoffs, the Bruins are on their way to a Stanley Cup, and the Yanks are in town to play the Sox. Enjoy!!

Jason Oberle
Platinum Marketing
jasonoberle@gmail.com

eisenreich8
04-24-2009, 09:50 AM
See, Jason added more great input than I could conceive of as I moved to NC in 2005 and haven't been back. Sadly.

Sox/Yanks on a weekend! Nirvana. Once you get through the turnstiles on Yawkey Way there should still be Louis Tiant's Cuban sandwich kiosk set up along the Pahk wall. Bring something for him to sign, as he is very, very nice to fans and will chat if you're inclined. I also go to, I believe, gate C and once just inside the Pahk there is a Harp/Guinness/Smithwick's stand where I love to get the "real" beer. Don't settle for a Bud Light out of a cooler unless you're so inclined. The best part about the outdoor turnstiles is you can enter and leave as much as you want, check out some BP, explore the Pahk, then go outside for food, whatever. Also, 90 minutes or so before the game, hang out on the street behind home plate where the Sox player parking lot is (enclosed in a chain link fenced lot, attached to the Pahk) to get close to the players.

Big Tip:

Right across from Twins Enterprises, on the stretch of Yawkey Way between where the outdoor turnstiles are, wait about 45 minutes to an hour after the game, and most or all of the Yankees players will exit the park from a non-descript door/gate right onto the sidewalk. I first learned of this trick in 1974 and got a ton of visiting Brewers auto's there. They will either walk left to their cars or right to the nightlife/hotel.

As stated, I haven't seen a game there since '05 so I might be out of date with info. But, please post on here after your dream trip and let us know how it all went down! Have a great trip!

Joe

GoTigers
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. We had a great time. Here are some pictues from the game. I would have had them up sooner, but we just got a new computer and had to get it up and running. The wife was making fun of me because I took about 150 pictuers at the game, so here are just a few. Thanks again for all the tips.

GoTigers
05-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Few more