PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Frank Robinson Jersey

hblakewolf
04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Current offering in the Grey Flannel Auction:

1976 Frank Robinson Indians jersey:
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=21194

I've had several 1976 Indians jerseys over the years, as well as other teams jerseys from 1976, and all have had the "standard" Wilson tag (photo from a 1976 Phillies home):

Current Robinson in the Grey Flannel auction features a pre 1974 style tag, that has odd screened information as opposed to the usual sewn informaiton:

I'm not aware of this tag ever being used on any 1976 MLB jerseys.

Any insight is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

hblakewolf
04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Photo 1:
Traditional 1976 Wilson tag

Photo 2:
Traditional pre-1974 Wilson tag-note how the information is sewn into the tag, as opposed to screened as found on the Grey Flannel tag:

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

hblakewolf
04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
As an update, thanks to hobby expert Dave Miedema for his insight on the year tag.

Examples of this tag are usually found to be made of WHITE materal with blue embroidery. The GF tag is BLUE material with white embroidery.

Likewise, the embrodiery style on the GF jersey is not the same as those I've previously seen on indians 1976 jerseys.

See the attached example from a previous AMI auction:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=33851

Also note the Wilson tag on this AMI jersey-it's the correct type for a Wilson 1976 jersey.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

jonincleve
04-23-2009, 07:58 AM
howard, just curious what do you think of the 'use' on this jersey. all my cleveland indains jersey are pretty much toasted from that era. the indians were pretty cheap back then and recycled jerseys all the time. just looking for your thoughts and opinions on 70's 80's indians equipment.

thank you for your time
john

hblakewolf
04-23-2009, 08:41 AM
howard, just curious what do you think of the 'use' on this jersey. all my cleveland indains jersey are pretty much toasted from that era. the indians were pretty cheap back then and recycled jerseys all the time. just looking for your thoughts and opinions on 70's 80's indians equipment.

thank you for your time
john

John-

Tough to tell the use from the photos.

I can confirm that the 1976 Indian jerseys and most of the late 1970's/early 1980's Indians jerseys I've had all showed tremedous use. Many had name and or name and number changes, with quite a bit of fraying around the names and numbers.

In regard to my previous post, I've been asked about my comment on the year tag sewn on the robinson jersey. As noted, the Indians jerseys for 1976 incorporated a WHITE square for the year tag. this small piece of white matrial was sewn in the tai, and 76 embroidered in blue. the robinson jersey features a BLUE square piece of material sewn in the tail with white embroidery. I've had several 1976 blue jerseys, and all had the white material, blue embroidery. This particular Robinson jersey in Grey Flannel's auction is the first time I've seen blue material with white embroidery. Likewise, the embroidered 76 appears to be embroidered differently than other known examples (see style on my previous post with the American Memorabila link). Can any other Forum reader post photos of their 1976 tagging or locate examples to post here?

Hoard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

jonincleve
04-23-2009, 02:07 PM
howard, you have probably seen it already but there is currently a 1976 eckersley jersey in legendary's auction lot number 864. there is no small 76 swatch on the jersey. says it is ex-halper. i love the indians red jerseys so i try to keep track of the ones that come up for sale.

take care
john

kingjammy24
04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
can anyone provide a single photo of any wilson gamer, from any year and any team, with a printed (not embroidered) wilson tag? all of the wilson tags i've seen on gamers going back to the early 70s were always embroidered.

the '76 eckersley at legendary auctions has an embroidered wilson tag.

rudy.

sox83cubs84
04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
howard, you have probably seen it already but there is currently a 1976 eckersley jersey in legendary's auction lot number 864. there is no small 76 swatch on the jersey. says it is ex-halper. i love the indians red jerseys so i try to keep track of the ones that come up for sale.

take care
john

John:

Another example of Tribe MLB recycling. The 1975 Indians gamers did not feature tail year tags...since Eck was a mid-season callup, the shirt was probably trotted out for 1976 as well, with the right sleeve patch added.

Dave M.
Chicago area

hblakewolf
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
can anyone provide a single photo of any wilson gamer, from any year and any team, with a printed (not embroidered) wilson tag? all of the wilson tags i've seen on gamers going back to the early 70s were always embroidered.

the '76 eckersley at legendary auctions has an embroidered wilson tag.

rudy.

Rudy-

I'm not familiar with any MLB team incorporating a SCREENED/PRINTED Wilson tag.

I was informed that the screened style was used by Wilson on the RETAIL baseball jerseys. Here's a grouping of screened/printed Wilson tags that were all removed from RETAIL Wilson jerseys (jerseys that were available to the general public at retail establishments). Note how all have SCREENED information as opposed to being EMBROIDERED.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

both-teams-played-hard
04-23-2009, 08:04 PM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4746/red5.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/707/red8f.jpg
Early 70s Reds bullpen jacket with printed Wilson tag. Uniform number is written in vintage marker(not sharpie) of a common player. I sold the jacket a few years ago. Could be minors, I always thought was MLB.

hblakewolf
05-06-2009, 10:17 AM
UPDATE:

Although no reply to my email was ever received from the folks at Grey Flannel, nor did any Forum reader or collector provide a single shred of evidence to prove this Wilson tag and year tag color was used on a 1976 Indians jersey or any MLB jersey in 1976, it appears the jersey in question was removed from the auction. Does anyone know if it was removed before the completion of the auction?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

trsent
05-07-2009, 04:41 AM
UPDATE:

Although no reply to my email was ever received from the folks at Grey Flannel, nor did any Forum reader or collector provide a single shred of evidence to prove this Wilson tag and year tag color was used on a 1976 Indians jersey or any MLB jersey in 1976, it appears the jersey in question was removed from the auction. Does anyone know if it was removed before the completion of the auction?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

They have a toll free number you can call Grey Flannel at: 800-242-8647

Danny899
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
They have a toll free number you can call Grey Flannel at: 800-242-8647

I would think he probably did try to phone them to ascertain information on the jersey. Why would he go through all the trouble with the multiple postings regarding his concerns and not want an answer back to share with the forum members? He mentioned that his email was met with no reply so common sense would dictate that he phone them directly for a response. Of course, I'm just speculating, maybe he didn't call. But if he did, their response would certainly be interesting and educational. Afterall, most of us are not, "experts." Any further update would be appreciated.

trsent
05-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I would think he probably did try to phone them to ascertain information on the jersey. Why would he go through all the trouble with the multiple postings regarding his concerns and not want an answer back to share with the forum members? He mentioned that his email was met with no reply so common sense would dictate that he phone them directly for a response. Of course, I'm just speculating, maybe he didn't call. But if he did, their response would certainly be interesting and educational. Afterall, most of us are not, "experts." Any further update would be appreciated.

I'll bet you he didn't call. If he did, he would have mentioned it, right?

I just was confused why the question was posted: "Does anyone know if it was removed before the completion of the auction?" I assume only Grey Flannel would know the answer to this question so I figured if anyone cared they could call, for no charge, to ask the question of the only people I bet who know the answer.

hblakewolf
05-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Both a phone call was placed (631-288-7800) and the email below was sent directly to the folks at Grey Flannel. As of this post, no reply has been received to either request.

Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:34 PM
To: 'gfcsports@aol.com'
Subject: Frank Robinson jersey

Hi Richie-

Can you tell me if the Frank Robinson Indians knit jersey in your last auction was sold, or if it was pulled/removed before the completion?

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net