PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Auction - Jordan jersey opinions?

nickacs
04-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi guys.. I was wondering if some of the MJ game worn jersey experts on here can chime in with any opinions on the couple MJ jerseys in the current Heritage auction:

90-91 Jordan:
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=714&Lot_No=82110

96-97 Jordan (my fav):
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=714&Lot_No=82117

97-98 Jordan:
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=714&Lot_No=82119

I got into MJ game worn back in 92-94-ish while in college, but since have been out of the MJ jersey "world" :) I want to re-start my MJ collection and just don't want to spend thousands on a game issued or worse!!

I've scoured some Getty Images, and the 3 jerseys "look" ok, but not 100%. I often get too confused b/t game worn/game issued, etc ones!

Thank you...

nickacs
04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
96/97 images:

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/349902.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C9486543F8BABDBF7BF37

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/277831.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED4312DEEDBD9AA0CE

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/51587723.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=AE5E3E7DB8E31417ED1439F9DE83B833284831B75F48EF45

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/72443133.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB004EFD3F8BD53185 4E9C89C783688B46

mmonte4
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
92-93 - 97-98:
Pro Cut - NOB is higher
Game Issued - NOB is lower, issued to MJ but never worn
Game Used - NOB is lower, issued to MJ and game worn

It is very very difficult to distinguish game issued from game worn. Almost every time, a game issued will be authenticated as game worn.

I really like the rare MJ Jerseys:
All Star Jerseys
Dream Team Jerseys
and Pre 92-93 Bulls Jerseys

What jerseys do you have in your collection nickacs?

33bird
04-21-2009, 08:00 PM
You know, to me, they all look brand new. The tags don't look like they've even gone thru one washing. I got some Bulls jerseys with Bulls coas from this time period and they all show signs of SOME use. None of the tags look unwashed, etc. Also, I'm always real leary of the 1997-98 NIKE Bulls jerseys of Pippen and MJ. Nike sold those exact jerseys to the public. GF has one of Pippen too right now. Too many of them out there. Without the Bulls paperwork I just stay away from them. It's funny that you see more MJ game used jerseys than ALL OTHER BULLS players combined! Where are the BJ Armstrong, Bill Cartwright, Craig Hodges, Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, Jud Beuchler, Bill Wennington, Randy Brown, and Ron Harper (and many others) jerseys from their championship years? You hardly ever, or never, see them -but there's an MJ in every auction. It's like Bird on the Celtics. You see his jerseys-especially the 1991-92 jerseys-in every auction-(GF has a 91-92 on in their auction right now) but where are all the other guys? You see the other players here and there, but BIRD jerseys are everywhere. My advice is buyer beware on the majority of MJ and Bird jerseys that you see on the market. Just too many of them.
My 2 cents again.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

mmonte4
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
I definately agree....from what i understand, MJ wore no more than 3 jerseys all year during the mid 90s period, excluding playoffs - yet there are a ton of gu 95-98 jerseys floating around.

nickacs
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Wow, thanks guys! Appreciate your time and opinions :)
Yea, I thought that maybe the auction prices so far for the MJ jerseys were pretty low?? Dunno, usually these years I've seen go anywhere from 4-8k?? But I know the auction isn't over and 2 days to go!

Mmonte, I've only got a '92 MJ white Olympic authentic jersey that is signed by all 12 of the Dream Team.. and a '92 MJ blue Olympic "game worn" jersey, but I did get it from Northshore Sports way back in '93 or so :(
One of these days I'd like to get it authenticated by someone to know if its true or not. The "rumor" back then was good 'ol Steve Ryan was there were only 2 Blue game worn MJ used, the one I got and some guy from CA had one.

But seeing a couple people on here mention the Blue (and I forget someone actually has one!), that mine might be a dud.. Not sure, but knowing that Northshore and Steve Ryan were busted years ago doesn't look good for me!!

So, anyways, I don't have any other MJ game worn, but my "ultimate" collection someday is just like yours; an Olympic, a rookie, an All-Star, a Finals, a #45, a black alternate (96/97) and then start collecting the regular years... Someday!! lol..

That's why I've held off all these years in getting the regular years because I wanted to focus on the "rarer" ones. I actually had the 96 MJ All-Star (the questionable one from Phoenix), but sold it to some guy on Ebay years ago.. And here I see it pop up from time to time! lol..

Thanks again guys!! I really want to get back into the collecting, but there's just SOOO many things to look for and don't want to get burned..

both-teams-played-hard
04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
You know, to me, they all look brand new. The tags don't look like they've even gone thru one washing. I got some Bulls jerseys with Bulls coas from this time period and they all show signs of SOME use. None of the tags look unwashed, etc. Also, I'm always real leary of the 1997-98 NIKE Bulls jerseys of Pippen and MJ. Nike sold those exact jerseys to the public. GF has one of Pippen too right now. Too many of them out there. Without the Bulls paperwork I just stay away from them. It's funny that you see more MJ game used jerseys than ALL OTHER BULLS players combined! Where are the BJ Armstrong, Bill Cartwright, Craig Hodges, Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, Jud Beuchler, Bill Wennington, Randy Brown, and Ron Harper (and many others) jerseys from their championship years? You hardly ever, or never, see them -but there's an MJ in every auction. It's like Bird on the Celtics. You see his jerseys-especially the 1991-92 jerseys-in every auction-(GF has a 91-92 on in their auction right now) but where are all the other guys? You see the other players here and there, but BIRD jerseys are everywhere. My advice is buyer beware on the majority of MJ and Bird jerseys that you see on the market. Just too many of them.
My 2 cents again.
Greg

Yes, why are common players more rare than superstars? Nowdays, it's BronBron, Kobe and D-Wade. No jerseys from the dudes at the end of the bench. Don't make no sense!
As I have said before...I believe there are no Jordan game-worn jerseys on the market. None, zippo, zero zilch. They may be in private collections, but not on the marketplace. Very little supply, huge demand. Oprah and Spike Lee may have some real ones.

33bird
04-21-2009, 08:47 PM
BTPH-I mostly agree with ya. I think the Bulls organization has sold some good ones. They go for big money. Hunt auctions with Charitabulls just sold some great stuff. But, since it comes right from the team it's gonna be bank. A 1997-98 Black MJ gamer went for 14k+20% this weekend. I think that was the cheapest MJ that sold. But the ones popping up on AMI and GF (I already posted on the GF 95-96 they have on right now) and other auction houses I'd stay away from. Same with Larry Bird. Also, 4 out of the 5 Bulls jerseys I've received with Bulls coas I've photo matched-not style matched-photo matched. 3 of them are pinstripped and one was from the Finals. The one I couldn't photo match is from a lack of photos. I trust the Bulls coas but I'd STILL do my own homework even on those.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

mmonte4
04-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Great discussion we've got going here! I am waiting for others to chime in.

Nickacs...I know of 6 - yes, 6 MJ DT Road Complete Uniforms. These are complete uniforms shirts and shorts. I can name who owns each of them and can tell you where they got them. The only one I am confident of as game worn is the one from Sportico Auction 2001. It can be photo matched perfectly....the position of the Champion logo is the key.

The fact that I know of six, makes me think there are at least double or triple floating out there. As more and more become available for auction, the value is sure to go down. Just this year we have seen the DT Jersey offer by Vintage Authentics, Grey Flannel, and I know there is one coming up in another Grey Flannel auction.

I know of 2 home jerseys with Charity Letters - and about 4-5 others (including 3 complete uniforms). One is owned by a private collector in California and the other was sold at Robert Edward Auctions in 2007. To be honest with you, I am not sure about these as I have not photo matched. The letter doesn't mean too much IMO...even if it was "donated by Jordan" - it was of course given to them by a family member, manager, etc and not by Jordan himself.

Anyway, good discussion. I hope to hear more and learn more.

sox83cubs84
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I definately agree....from what i understand, MJ wore no more than 3 jerseys all year during the mid 90s period, excluding playoffs - yet there are a ton of gu 95-98 jerseys floating around.
Hard to say for sure...the SCD writer who used to write the articles claiming strict limits on MJ-worn Bulls jersey (not me) had a vested interest in publicizing that information. Several area dealers told me then that they'd get a call from this writer after his MJ jersey articles would appear, where he'd offer them one of his own MJ jerseys, obtained from Charitabulls, and use his articles and the Charitabulls connection to try and wring top dollar out of them. Hard to fully take those articles seriously when the guy writing them was trying to set the table for making a big buck on the ones he owned.

Dave M.
Chicago area

mmonte4
04-22-2009, 08:12 AM
The other side is that the Chicago area dealers had to have an explanation as to why they were able to come up with one MJ jersey after another. IDK...makes sense.

mmonte4
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Guys,

Would you agree that if an MJ jersey presumed to be game worn is more likely to be game worn if it comes signed - especially personalized? The logic behind this it that mj himself handed the jersey to someone......so it is less likely to be a game issued that MJ never had access to.

nickacs
04-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks everyone! 33bird, thanks too for the insight on the jerseys look so new. I'm so tempted on esp the 96-97 Jordan in the HA, but I'm going to pass on all of them. Grrr, I hate to, but I'd rather wait and hopefully find a real gamer someday than to chance it.

mmonte4
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Nickacs....what is your email address....got something for you.

kingjammy24
04-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone! 33bird, thanks too for the insight on the jerseys look so new. I'm so tempted on esp the 96-97 Jordan in the HA, but I'm going to pass on all of them. Grrr, I hate to, but I'd rather wait and hopefully find a real gamer someday than to chance it.

jordan gamers with bulls paperwork aren't overly common. hunt auctions just wrapped up a huge bulls auction where they sold off several jordan shirts with bulls paperwork. did you miss the whole thing?

rudy.

nickacs
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Nickacs....what is your email address....got something for you.

Mmonte, it's: sstevens12@aol.com

Thanks!

nickacs
04-23-2009, 10:00 PM
jordan gamers with bulls paperwork aren't overly common. hunt auctions just wrapped up a huge bulls auction where they sold off several jordan shirts with bulls paperwork. did you miss the whole thing?

rudy.

hey rudy! Actually I did see it with about 2 days to go last week before it ended, but unfortunately, the sold prices were a little too high for me at this time. But yea, it seems like about the only places you are about 99% sure the MJ jersey is real/game worn is from Charitabulls or if Meigray used to carry any..

Next time! :)

mmonte4
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Check your email!