PDA

View Full Version : LA Lakers game used

quiggle28
04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
does anyone know if there is a contact within the LA Lakers I could get in touch with regarding game used jerseys? I recently received one from this season that I'm trying to find some more background information about. thanks!

sportscentury
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
does anyone know if there is a contact within the LA Lakers I could get in touch with regarding game used jerseys? I recently received one from this season that I'm trying to find some more background information about. thanks!

Dan Ceniceros of DC Sports knows modern (and probably vintage) Lakers uniforms up and down. Here is a link to one of his threads:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7671

The earthlink email address he lists is now defunct. His current email address is dceniceros248@yahoo.com (dceniceros248@yahoo.com) and his phone number is 323.257.4898. His sources for real Lakers items are very good.

quiggle28
04-21-2009, 06:27 AM
thank you sportscentury, I'll touch base with Mr. Ceniceros.

I'm just trying to find out if this Pau Gasol jersey I recently received from MeiGray/NBA Auctions. It was worn during the 2009 Slam Dunk event competition and I expected it to show very light wear but was suprised to see the jersey exhibiting some solid use - lots of loose threads, a small rip in the back, and pilling in the inside collar. I'm curious to know if this jersey was possibly worn for Laker games earlier in the season.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6811/img0042tjz.jpg

this is a photo from the game they played against the Knicks this season at Madison Square Garden, could it be a possible photo-match?

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Los+Angeles+Lakers+v+New+York+Knicks+pQJ1ZHJnjnGl. jpg

sportscentury
04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Quiggle,

It is not unusual for players to wear their real, game worn jerseys from earlier in the season for this event. It would not surprise me me one bit to learn that you obtained one of Pau's road gamers from the first half of the season. As suggested by so many folks picking the Lakers to take it all this year, your jersey could be even more special/valuable soon. From the scan you provided, I will tell you that this does not look like a Laker jersey that has only been worn for only one non-game event.

As for your photo-match question, you will likely not be able to photomatch the jersey to the low-resolution Getty Images that common folks like us are able to access from Getty's public site. However, if you're serious about a photomatch, contact Barry at MeiGray (see the thread from last week) and have them photomatch it to their high resolution Getty Images (they have access to Getty's digital photos). For a jersey in this price range, I believe the cost to you will be $100, but you should ask Barry.

Very nice jersey.

quiggle28
04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Thank you for all this information sportscentury, it's much appreciated. I wasn't aware players wore their own game jerseys for these competitions, as I always thought the uniforms for these events were prepared in advance and designed to be used once for this occasion only.

I'll take a look at the earlier thread about obtaining full resolution images from MeiGray, this would be a great piece to have photomatched especially if the Lakers do in fact win the Finals this year. Thanks again!

sportscentury
04-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Quiggle -- I, too, was surprised by the information when I first became aware of it. I know it has happened, but I'm not sure how common it is (especially now since the NBA is overseeing these jerseys for marketing/sale). Like you, I had thought that the jerseys were made for the event and were held for the players to arrive at the All Star Game festivities. With this said, perhaps jerseys are prepared for the slam dunk event and the players simply have the option of bringing and wearing their own. In your Gasol case, the one thing that makes me question whether it was game worn is the MeiGray tag. Did Pau bring his own jersey, have the MeiGray tag sewn on at the event, and then wear it in the slam dunk competition? The evident wear on your jersey screams YES, but I'm just not sure. In addition to the photo-matching question, you may want to ask Barry at MeiGray about the slam dunk jerseys, how they were tagged, prepared, handled, etc. (his email is sales@meigray.com).

Worst case scenario is that you obtained Pau's slam dunk jersey at a terrific price (and it should be photo-matchable to the slam dunk event at the very least). He has really stepped up his game this year... and is finally starting lose his reputation of being too soft. If he had played in the '08 Finals the way he played for Spain during the summer Olympics, the Celts/Lakers series would have been a lot closer.

mbenga28
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
they were probably tagged after. here is Dwight Howard with his slam dunk jersey and it doesn't have the MeiGray security tagging.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/84800278.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19346E4C5E9CA073261DE276868131C1549 B1DC5372FFCBAEC3

mbenga28
04-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Worst case scenario is that you obtained Pau's slam dunk jersey at a terrific price (and it should be photo-matchable to the slam dunk event at the very least).

If I recall correctly, the players assisting the contestants were always in their warm-up attire so you wouldn't be able to photo-match the jersey.

So let me get this right, your jersey shows considerable use, if it was in fact worn in the first half of the NBA season but, I assume, the accompanying letter of authenticity says it was only worn for this event?

So say if you or someone else who won these other jerseys wants to sell them in the secondary market in the future, wouldn't a potential buyer be wary of the fact that the letter of authenticity says it was worn for this one event, but the jersey looks like it was worn for a number of actual games? How will you explain this to them? People will think that you have worn it and given it this unexplained "extra" use.

sportscentury
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by mbenga28 http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=135888#post135888)
they were probably tagged after. here is Dwight Howard with his slam dunk jersey and it doesn't have the MeiGray security tagging.

If they were tagged after the event, then the possibility that this is one of Pau's regular season road jerseys from the first half of the season seems more likely. He brought the jersey, wore it at the event, then turned it over to the NBA, where it was tagged and put up for auction with the others.

Originally Posted by mbenga28 http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=135892#post135892)
If I recall correctly, the players assisting the contestants were always in their warm-up attire so you wouldn't be able to photo-match the jersey.

So let me get this right, your jersey shows considerable use, if it was in fact worn in the first half of the NBA season but, I assume, the accompanying letter of authenticity says it was only worn for this event?

So say if you or someone else who won these other jerseys wants to sell them in the secondary market in the future, wouldn't a potential buyer be wary of the fact that the letter of authenticity says it was worn for this one event, but the jersey looks like it was worn for a number of actual games? How will you explain this to them? People will think that you have worn it and given it this unexplained "extra" use.

This is why I suggested that Quiggle contact MeiGray to see if the jersey can be photomatched. If MeiGray can photomatch the jersey to Pau's in action shots in regular season road games from the first half of the season, no one in his right mind will question the seller's claim that it was game worn by Pau during the first half. Even if the NBA wrote a letter saying that it was NOT game worn, it would not mean anything in the face of a true photomatch.

BarryMeisel
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi everybody,

In the case of the Gasol, and this is true of most situations like this where a player from a non-program team is competing in an event where the team is supplying a team jersey, an NBA & MGG authenticator will take possession of the jersey after the event, and we will tag post-use.

We double-check the process by photo-matching the jersey to the event, but not to earlier games the player may or may not have played in the jersey. But it is common for a team to supply the player with a jersey that he has already worn earlier in the season.

Hope this helps,
Barry

sportscentury
04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi everybody,

In the case of the Gasol, and this is true of most situations like this where a player from a non-program team is competing in an event where the team is supplying a team jersey, an NBA & MGG authenticator will take possession of the jersey after the event, and we will tag post-use.

We double-check the process by photo-matching the jersey to the event, but not to earlier games the player may or may not have played in the jersey. But it is common for a team to supply the player with a jersey that he has already worn earlier in the season.

Hope this helps,
Barry

This matches everything I'd understood. Thanks, Barry.

So, Quiggle, it sounds like you have an excellent chance of having a Pau regular season game worn AND All Star weekend event-worn jersey. Nice pick-up.

quiggle28
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
good information and clarification, thanks Barry and sportscentury. I sent my jersey back to MeiGray so Stu Oxenhorn can have a look at it for a possible photomatch from first half of games. Apologies for the delays in responding back, been quite busy the last several weeks and am trying to get Lakers tickets for a couple of playoff games! Happy Mother's Day all :)

quiggle28
05-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I just received the Gasol jersey back from MeiGray and want to thank Stu Oxenhorn for his dedicated time, diligent analysis and most importantly his infinite patience during this process in dealing with someone as nitpicky and particular as myself.

Indeed, Stu was able to definitively photo-match the jersey to several games from the first half of the season, including the February 2, 2009 game against the Knicks where Kobe Bryant scored his historic 61 points at Madison Square Garden, as well as the February 5, 2009 contest between the Lakers and Celtics where Pau blocked Ray Allen's last second shot in Lakers' overtime win.

I received two photographic LOA's for these games one showing the front and the other the back, which look great
supplementing the NBA Entertainment LOA from the All-Star Weekend.

As with everything else from MeiGray, they always exceed my expectations and provide unparalleled service. It is definitely worth investing the time and resources to incorporate Stu's expertise and learning more about the history of our game used pieces.

sportscentury
05-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I just received the Gasol jersey back from MeiGray and want to thank Stu Oxenhorn for his dedicated time, diligent analysis and most importantly his infinite patience during this process in dealing with someone as nitpicky and particular as myself.

Indeed, Stu was able to definitively photo-match the jersey to several games from the first half of the season, including the February 2, 2009 game against the Knicks where Kobe Bryant scored his historic 61 points at Madison Square Garden, as well as the February 5, 2009 contest between the Lakers and Celtics where Pau blocked Ray Allen's last second shot in Lakers' overtime win.

I received two photographic LOA's for these games one showing the front and the other the back, which look great
supplementing the NBA Entertainment LOA from the All-Star Weekend.

As with everything else from MeiGray, they always exceed my expectations and provide unparalleled service. It is definitely worth investing the time and resources to incorporate Stu's expertise and learning more about the history of our game used pieces.

Glad it was a great experience and congrats on the terrific pick-up. I concur with everything you said about MeiGray.

quiggle28
05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi sportscentury, I also want to thank you again for your help and suggestions on going about finding out more on this jersey - it was your advice and input that guided me towards finding all these solid resources to consult with.

sportscentury
05-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi sportscentury, I also want to thank you again for your help and suggestions on going about finding out more on this jersey - it was your advice and input that guided me towards finding all these solid resources to consult with.

You're very welcome. I'm glad things went so well for you. Please keep us posted of your acquisitions (especially NBA gamers).

Mac670
05-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Can we see the photomatch of the jersey from Meigrey? Also how much did it cost and how long did it take to get back?

quiggle28
05-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Can we see the photomatch of the jersey from Meigrey? Also how much did it cost and how long did it take to get back?

I'm at work now and don't have jersey and MeiGray photographic LOA's in front of me at this moment, but these were the two photos from GettyImages that were used for the photo-matches.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8159/84597430.jpg

though the resolution is small, you'll notice on the left side of the jersey where the yellow and white trim is that there is a thread below the underarm. Stu and MeiGray were able to magnify this image and it shows the thread is unraveling and loose, exactly as it is on the jersey. Also, the alignment of the numerals and NBA logo in relationship to the "Lakers" from this photo matches the same positioning as on the jersey.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1462/84910287k.jpg

Again, the sample images on Getty's website does no justice to detail but the enlarged 8x10 sent by Stu and MeiGray shows loose threads around the lettering that aligns well with the jersey.

There were several other solid photos Stu was able to locate but in the end I decided on these twp because of the Lakers-Celtics recent rivalry and I also attended the Knicks game and makes it much more sentimental to document having a game used item associated with Kobe's historic night at the Garden.

There's also details included on the photographic LOA, off the top of my head I recall also printed are the date/location the photos were taken and the MeiGray jocktag security number that's corresponding on the jersey. I would contact MeiGray/Stu to discuss further the pricing and turnaround time it would take if you're interested in having an item evaluated, as each piece is unique in its value and depth of research needed to be conducted to see if a true photo-match can be established.

sportscentury
05-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Victor/Quiggle28,

Is this your Gasol on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lakers-Authentic-Pau-Gasol-Game-Used-Jersey-MeiGray_W0QQitemZ300315584345

Reid

tkweinstein
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Was this Derek Fisher jersey used for the Shooting Stars Competition also used for regular season competition? Nice Gasol jersey.

http://auction.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=&prmenbr=51136034&aunbr=103776727

sportscentury
05-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Was this Derek Fisher jersey used for the Shooting Stars Competition also used for regular season competition? Nice Gasol jersey.

http://auction.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=&prmenbr=51136034&aunbr=103776727

I'm not sure that Victor/Quiggle28 looked into the histories of the other jerseys. I had other questions about the Gasol and its photomatching, but unfortunately Victor did not respond to my questions on GUU or through the eBay messaging system. I blew up the scans of the Fisher and it certainly looks well worn, so it would not surprise me to learn that this was one of Fisher's regular game jerseys from the first half of the season. It may be that the shoulder patch was been applied before the event and the MeiGray tag at the event's completion.

tkweinstein
05-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I looked at the Gasol jersey on Ebay and the seller seems to have put in alot of effort describing the jersey which strikes me odd that the auction was removed a day after it was listed. Anyone know what the reserve price was?

Pretty neat to win an event jersey and find out it was used for more than just that. Any other members have a similar experience?

sportscentury
05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I looked at the Gasol jersey on Ebay and the seller seems to have put in alot of effort describing the jersey which strikes me odd that the auction was removed a day after it was listed. Anyone know what the reserve price was?

Pretty neat to win an event jersey and find out it was used for more than just that. Any other members have a similar experience?

Victor/quiggle28 must have pulled the jersey to sell it off of eBay. If you look at the auction, he posted all of the questions from potential bidders and his answers to them. All except for mine, that is. He did not respond to my questions, which was disappointing, particurlary since I trieid to help him here with his jersey. Not sure what that is about. It's a shame as I am sure I could have topped whatever price he received.

If you hang in there, I'm sure you'll see some of these other All Star special events MeiGray jerseys and warm-ups appear on eBay. I've already seen several listed, though this is the only Lakers one so far.