PDA

View Full Version : Paul O'Neill Yankees jersey on ebay

Number9
05-01-2006, 03:11 AM
Regarding this ebay jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YORK-YANKEES-GAME-USED-PAUL-ONEILL-BASEBALL-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ8804049585QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

I mean no offense to the seller, nor am I asking anyone here to do any research work for me, but due to the espense of this jersey and my time away from the hobby it seems smart for me to ask the knowledgeable members here if anyone has any opinions on it? Obviously the seller has a stellar feedback score and I share the respect for the Stigall brothers that the rest of this forum seems to have but does anyone see any issues I am overlooking?
I know the size and specs are correct for O'Neill and I have compared it to other 1997 Yankees jerseys and all matches (though some 1997 Yankees jerseys have the 100 percent poly tag in the middle of the Russell tag while others have it far left like this O'Neill jersey for some reason; different sets perhaps?).
The only thing that concerns me is it seems all the 1997 Yankees GU jerseys (mostly from Steiner) i can find in old auction catalogs like Grey Flannel have the Jackie Robinson patch removed and a stitch outline remains. This one has the Jackie patch, which is good news of course as long as it is not restored. I have cordially e-mailed the seller and asked him to double check that.
Any other thoughts/worries from anyone, please? Your opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Number9

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YORK-YANKEES-GAME-USED-PAUL-ONEILL-BASEBALL-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ8804049585QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

suave1477
05-01-2006, 11:44 AM
It looks good from what I can see. I personally think the price is a little high but if your a Paul Oneil fan then it might be worth it.

suave1477
05-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Actually I just looked at Steiner sports and Paul Oneils jersey is going for $7,500 so I guesws this one is not high priced after all. It definitely seems to be worth it.

Here is a word of advice a lot of the 1996 jerseys were carried over into 97 so there is a good possiblity this might also be his 1996 World Series jersey too.

Kid4hof03
05-01-2006, 01:14 PM
While I don't doubt that there were some 1996 jerseys carried over to 1997 many of the 1996 World Series jerseys were auctioned off at the Yankee Fan fest in Jan/Feb of 1997.

suave1477
05-01-2006, 01:42 PM
kidhof as i am sure your right there probably were. But I do know i have strawberry's lol lol:D

Kid4hof03
05-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Jason, do you have the home or the road? Is the patch still present or just an outline, I'd love to see scans of it for reference in the future.

suave1477
05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately there is nothing left of the patches on it except for possible outline marks. The Jersey was carried over into spring training of 1997 so everything was removed.
The one I have is a AWAY jersey not a Home.

I will send you some pics later.

Number9
05-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to Suave1477 for taking the time to give me his opinion. I really appreciate it, thanks.

I do think the price is a bit high but I will think about it. I used to own a 1994 O'Neill (came from Mr. Wolf) and always regretted selling it (it sold for $2,000 right after O'Neill retired, when the interest in him was highest). I will add that in my humble opinion, Stener's prices have no bearing on the market as they have no bearing on reality. Collectors like me aren't gonna drop 7 grand on a jersey so I pretty much just ignore their prices. That's just my opinion though and I know they have a right to seek any price they want. But if it comes down to prices of $7,000 for O'Neill, or $3,000, I just won't buy one.

Thanks again Suave1477.

Number9

BULBUS
05-02-2006, 07:54 AM
number 9, i think i bought that o'neill jersey from you. you had it on ebay but we did the transaction on the side? i paid $2100 for it. it was a sweet jersey. paulie won the batting title that strike shortened season. i had to sell it too :( i needed the money to pay for a wedding and a house. i wont tell ya what i sold it for though. i dont want to make you feel bad :D as far as the jersey on ebay, i think that is nice and a decent price. jerseys from 96-01 seem to be worth more than 93-95.
bulbus

suave1477
05-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Number9 as far as Steiner prices having no bearing on the reality of the market value I agree to disagree with you, Are Steiner prices a bit high YES, but they have the market cornered on Yankees game used items so you really dont have a choice. Unless you get it from a player directly or a players dealer. Such as ESM on ebay, they get a lot of stuff cuz they wprk closely with Sheffield, Stottlmyre, Sierra and a few others, but the stuff you get from them the players personally own so it will be rare to find a Yankees jersey.

Bulbus as far as the value being higher during the time period of 96 - 01 is bcuz thats there championship seasons which with any team will always sell for a high premium.