PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Muncie jersey on e-bay

jbcindc
04-17-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm interested in opinions, particularly those of Eric and Mvandor, on the e-bay auction for the Chuck Muncie game-used jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270375891124

As I often read from others who ask for opinions on game worn items, I've been trying to do my homework before asking the question. When I compare the Muncie jersey to 80's Chargers jerseys on Getty Images the numbering seems to be off on the e-bay Muncie. The 4 seems to be wider at the top than the examples on Getty, and the numbers also seem to be shorter. It may be the photos on e-bay don't do the jersey justice or that I'm just seeing things that aren't there. After reading Vandor's thread on his experiences with Grey Flannel, and this jersey having been authenticated by GF, I'm even more skeptical. For these reasons I'm interested in the opinions of experts in 80's era game worn jerseys.

Thanks,

Jason

Eric
04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
As you mentioned, this jersey had sold previously at a Grey Flannel auction. What strikes me are two things
1) The one on ebay appears to have tackle twill letters sewn on the nameplate. During that era the Chargers screened the letter on the nameplate
Ebay nameplate- sewn letters
Other nameplates from the era- screened nameplate
2) On the Chargers jerseys I have seen the exclusive tag is above the size tag. That doesn't mean it's not possible to find one that is reversed. I just haven't seen it.
Ebay tag
Other Chargers tags from that era that I have seen
3) If I were to spend the money on a game used Chuck Muncie jersey, I'd want it to be punished. They certainly did not supply new jerseys like to they do today. Many of the Chargers shirts from that era in my collection have been patched up dozens of times. This looks pretty clean for a guy who played the game like Chuck.
Personally, I passed when it was auctioned originally, and I am going to pass again. But it's up to everyone to decide what they are comfortable with...
Eric

mvandor
04-18-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm interested in opinions, particularly those of Eric and Mvandor, on the e-bay auction for the Chuck Muncie game-used jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270375891124

As I often read from others who ask for opinions on game worn items, I've been trying to do my homework before asking the question. When I compare the Muncie jersey to 80's Chargers jerseys on Getty Images the numbering seems to be off on the e-bay Muncie. The 4 seems to be wider at the top than the examples on Getty, and the numbers also seem to be shorter. It may be the photos on e-bay don't do the jersey justice or that I'm just seeing things that aren't there. After reading Vandor's thread on his experiences with Grey Flannel, and this jersey having been authenticated by GF, I'm even more skeptical. For these reasons I'm interested in the opinions of experts in 80's era game worn jerseys.

Thanks,

Jason

Eric is leaps and bounds more knowledgeable than I on the time period in question, I'd trust his advice.

jbcindc
04-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Thank you both. Eric, you've helped confirm my decision to pass on the jersey.

Jason

yankeevin
05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey Jason...any interest on selling your 2004 holt gamer?

jbcindc
05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm keeping the 2004 Holt jersey, but there is a 2002 Holt jersey for sale through California Sports Investments, from whom I purchased the 2004 jersey. Here's the link:

http://www.californiasportsinv.com/details.php?prod_id=1534&sportid=3

Jason