PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Tour of Japan Jim Rice Game Used Bat

jdduck
04-16-2009, 03:40 PM
I obtained a Jim Rice 36" H&B label bat with the stamping 1979 Tour of Japan (or close to that) many years ago. Does anyone have any information about these bats? I have not seen much if anything about these. Thanks, Jim

sportscentury
04-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I obtained a Jim Rice 36" H&B label bat with the stamping 1979 Tour of Japan (or close to that) many years ago. Does anyone have any information about these bats? I have not seen much if anything about these. Thanks, Jim

Please post photos.

joelsabi
04-16-2009, 08:27 PM

sounds like an interesting piece. i have a hard time finding stuff of tours to japan. looking for japan tours stuff from 1996 and 2004.

please post photos.

cordovacollector
04-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Not for sale but for reference. I have two Cordova Japan jerseys. Offhand without checking them, I think they are around 1992 when he was with Visalia Oaks.

jdduck
05-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Sorry to take so long to get these photos posted. It is a 36 inch bat, no markings on the knob. I have not seen any of these before, any information would be appreciated.

Jim

05-05-2009, 03:32 AM
I know that soon after the 1979 Japan Tour, a few of these uncracked bats came into the collecting marketplace through an auction or sale in a sports collectors magazine. The bats were made available through Tony Migliaccio, who worked in equipment with the Brewers at that time as some kind of assistant, or his sister. I was told that Sully, the Brewers equipment manager, was the equipment manager from that tour. After the tour ended, Sully took some of the bats back to the USA with the intention of them getting back to the players. Of course, at least for a few of the bats, this did not happen. I have a Rod Carew bat with the same labeling still in my collection that came from that original ad, and at one time also had Willie Wilson. I cannot recall any of the other bats that were available.

Tom Duino

MJB14
05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
jdduck,

If you're ever interested in selling that Rice bat please let me know