PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Baseballs 2009

allstarsplus
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Rawlings makes those nice balls with the Opening Day logos and I noticed from a foul ball in the stands that the Nationals didn't use them for Opening Day or if they did they ran out of them.

I also got an email from the Tigers that they didn't have logo'd Opening Day balls.

Does anyone have any insight into this from their teams? :confused:

suave1477
04-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Andrew I can only imagine that they probably had regular season baseballs mixed in with opening day logo'd baseballs.

For example when I was at spring traininig Yankees vs. Team Canada game. One ball was fouled off and given to me and it was a WBC ball. The next ball fouled off was given to me and it was a regular major league ball.

They were suppsoed to be just using the WBC balls.

tigerdale
04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I Know The Tigers Didn't Use Them....the Last Time The Tigers Used One Was 2006.

allstarsplus
04-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Andrew I can only imagine that they probably had regular season baseballs mixed in with opening day logo'd baseballs.

For example when I was at spring traininig Yankees vs. Team Canada game. One ball was fouled off and given to me and it was a WBC ball. The next ball fouled off was given to me and it was a regular major league ball.

They were suppsoed to be just using the WBC balls.

Suave - I have seen the same as you just described.

This is what got me thinking was this email from Marc Himelstein of the Detroit Tigers:

Hi everyone. I just found out from MLB that the Opening Day Baseballs will not have a logo on them. Due to this, I am not going to charge $75 a ball. The new price for a game used Opening Day Baseball will be $50. For those of you that already placed your order, I have not charged your cc yet.

Marc Himelstein
Authentics Manager

Now I know Rawlings made them as here is a picture of them, and here is a picture with the 2009 logo as I got a pic direct from Rawlings.

suave1477
04-15-2009, 01:48 PM
That is very strange.

Others teams are using the Opening day logo'd ball.

Odd how he words it that MLB said Opening day baseballs will not have a logo on them. Is he just referrring to the Tigers not using them or all teams. If in fact he is referring to all teams that is not true as other teams have used them.

allstarsplus
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
That is very strange.

Others teams are using the Opening day logo'd ball.

Odd how he words it that MLB said Opening day baseballs will not have a logo on them. Is he just referrring to the Tigers not using them or all teams. If in fact he is referring to all teams that is not true as other teams have used them.

Yes, his verbiage is puzzling to me too which got me thinking that maybe no teams got balls w/ the Opening Day logo.

I just made a call to the Nats and they don't think they got any with the Opening Day logo either.

My guess is the Mets and Yankees have their Inaugural season balls to use.

I know the Nationals bases had the Opening Day logos on them so I am thinking that maybe Rawlings didn't get the delivery out for the baseballs.

suave1477
04-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Hello Andrew,

Teams did get the balls.

They already are auctioning off opening day game used baseballs from 2009.

allstarsplus
04-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Suave - Good job! The Twins used a ball with a logo. Can't tell if the others used them as the pictures don't show them.