PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose game used bat, who to authenticate?

justinwc80
04-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm new to the forums and have enjoyed the vast knowledge found here. I just purchased this Pete Rose bat on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170318955127 I also found on here a record that matches this bat and finish from 1979. What do you guys think. And who is the best to authenticate, I'm told MEARS and PSADNA. Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

joelsabi
04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
getting that sportcaster card would look cool in a display with that bat.

earlywynnfan
04-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Many will tell you "authenticating" is a load of hooey. You have the records. Post some Q's on here: what side should the hit marks be on? Should there be tape? Tar? Is the proper number on the knob? Do the ball marks look like MLB balls, are there any transfer marks, or does it look like someone hit some golf balls with it?

If all the answers answer in the affirmative, you've authenticated it youself. Or, you can pay Mears or PSA to do exactly the same thing.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

PS: Looks like a really nice bat!

redoctober
04-15-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm new to the forums and have enjoyed the vast knowledge found here. I just purchased this Pete Rose bat on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170318955127 I also found on here a record that matches this bat and finish from 1979. What do you guys think. And who is the best to authenticate, I'm told MEARS and PSADNA. Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The bat is good -- I did extensive research. You outbid me at the last second -- nice move! Curious how high you were willing to go, as I regret not bumping up a little earlier.

Enjoy the bat! My research puts it in a fairly rare category for Rose gamers in terms of numbers produced (79 Hornsby finish). All records match what I found exactly. My concern for not going a lot higher was around the amount of use and lack of photos in 79 of him using this model. I will say that I wish I had won though!

MSpecht
04-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Ebay description===" A very rare Pete Rose game used H&B R195 bat from the 1977-79 period. This is a rare Hornsby (brown) color. Rose didn't order many of these. Bat is 35 inches long and 33.5 ounces."

Rose actually only had 2 orders ( 18 total bats ) matching this bat and labeling period: 5/25/79 (6 bats) and 6/27/79 (12 bats.) Nice bat.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

justinwc80
04-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Actually I had stopped my bidding but my wife was sitting at the computer watching time go down and when you bid she threw in a last minute bid of $850. I guess I got lucky on that part, I hadn't planned on going higher but I'm very excited. I'm sorry we couldn't both win it. Other than Getty images does anyone know of any other photo sites to search for game used items?

justinwc80
04-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Any idea where I could find a picture, I've tried Getty, Icon, Presswire and flickr?

sox83cubs84
04-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Should you decide to go to a third party for authentication, the firms you were told about are easily the best of the bat bunch.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Nnunnari
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't waste your money on authenticating the bat, it's a nice legit bat.

tacprc
04-18-2009, 06:23 PM
FYI, There are glossy photos and magazine photos circa 1979 of Rose holding bats with a Hornsby finish. Chuck

jbsportstuff
04-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I also bid on the bat. The seller is a very reputabale guy who buys and sells several gamers. I bought a Concepcion and a Foster from him as well. The only reason I didn't go crazy on the bidding was the fact that it wasn't a bat used when he was a Red. :)

It's a beauty of a bat. Congrats!!!!!

camarokids
04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
There you go! The bat has been authenticated!

You don't need to waste your money for someone to tell you what you already know.

Educate yourself and you will never have to waste money on a 3rd party Letter Of Opinion......

You will be your own authenticator!

camarokids
04-18-2009, 07:27 PM
I forgot to mention, also continue to ask questions on this forum.

The forum is better than anything you can pay money for ...

stretch
04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Pete is always signing autographs at the Field of Dreams located at Caesar's in Las Vegas. If your ever out there and wanting it signed or wanting to see if you can get him to sign a letter for it. Just wanted to point that out.

justinwc80
04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
FYI, There are glossy photos and magazine photos circa 1979 of Rose holding bats with a Hornsby finish. Chuck
tacprc, can you tell me where these photos are? I've looked everywhere possible, any help greatly appreciated!!!

justinwc80
04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Pete is actually coming to my town for a speaking engagement, the VIP meet and greet tickets are $250. Debating going and asking him to sign a letter and pose with me and the bat. Wonder if thats asking too much. Any ideas what the letter would say and if he would be willing?

tacprc
04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I will send you some scans when I get a chance. I am travelling right now. What's your e-mail address.

sportscentury
04-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Pete is actually coming to my town for a speaking engagement, the VIP meet and greet tickets are $250. Debating going and asking him to sign a letter and pose with me and the bat. Wonder if thats asking too much. Any ideas what the letter would say and if he would be willing?

Charlie Hustle is willing to sign anything for a buck. This is the guy who signed multiple sets of "I'm sorry I bet on baseball" baseballs. Write up a detailed letter stating what the bat is, its characteristics, when it was ordered, the relevant factory records info., etc., and I can't imagine it will be a problem (again, as long as he knows he is being being paid). Good luck.

justinwc80
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I will send you some scans when I get a chance. I am travelling right now. What's your e-mail address.
tacprc you can reach me at justinwc80@yahoo.com, thanks