PDA

View Full Version : Packer Helmet Question

mattmueller
04-13-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a question on the Packer helmet listed on ebay (link below), never really looked at helmets before so forgive the questions.

The seller has indicated the Bob Noel (former Packer equipment mgr) gave his brother (former Packer player) this helmet and describes it as "team issued". Although not photographed on for ebay, the back right includes two decals one a large Riddell R logo, the other a size. From digging through old posts, is it correct that this logo has only appeared on "retail authentic" helmets? Other info gathered from the seller is that there are warning stickers on the inside by each ear hole, but also engraved in the helmet are "inspected by 2346" and the number "93179314". While the logo points to a retail helmet, why the inspection and number engraved on the inside? Also, I have only seen photos of red Riddell front and back bumpers, whereas the offered is a green.

So, just curious if this is a "retail authentic" helmet, or anything that could have been sourced (although not used) from the Packers.

Thanks,
Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250405440015

mvandor
04-15-2009, 10:27 AM
The green Riddell logos all over the lid and chinstrap are the only non-retail factors I can see, everything else looks retail to me. And RealStuff Sports can get the front bumper green decals and green lettered chinstraps.

HOWEVER I've never seen any retail with the rear Riddell bumper in green.

What year is this supposedly from?

mattmueller
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I spoke to the seller briefly, he didn't provide detail on the year. The story was his brother played for the Packers in the early 80s and at some point the brother got the helmet from Bob Noel and passed it along to the seller. I ended up winning the helmet for something like $55, so I will be able to provide more details on it in a few days. Worst case, I have a cheap retail helmet.

mattmueller
04-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Mvandor: If you shoot me an email, I can send you pics of the helmet, and thanks in advance for taking a look.

Matt

mvandor
04-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Mvandor: If you shoot me an email, I can send you pics of the helmet, and thanks in advance for taking a look.

Matt

I'm really no expert, helmets and aeneas are. I just note that it looks like a standard retail Proline EXCEPT for the green Riddell on the bumpers and chinstrap. For what you paid you can't go wrong, a retail Proline costs more.

mattmueller
04-18-2009, 05:25 AM
Turns out the bumpers were actually black, not green. But like you said, can't beat the price.

mvandor
04-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Turns out the bumpers were actually black, not green. But like you said, can't beat the price.

Was the Riddell on the chinstrap red or green? Odd, I don't recall seeing black bumpers, but perhaps hellmetts or aeneas can comment on that.

mattmueller
04-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Chinstrap is black as well.

mvandor
04-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Chinstrap is black as well.

Sure screams retail to me, other than the fact Riddell's Prolines have used red lettering for years, everything else looks retail. Perhaps they used black at a past point in time.

helmets
04-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes, in the early 90's some of the retail helmets had black bumpers and printing on the chinstraps.