PDA

View Full Version : All members, listen up...(MUST read)...

suicide_squeeze
04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
To all GUU members.....If there are still any of you who doesn't think this forum has significant importance in the memorabilia industry....think again.

Yesterday, by pure chance, I was home from work. First day off I've taken in over 6 months. So the mail comes, and I see a letter addressed to me, return address is that of a law firm locally.

I open it, and it's addressed to me. Not suicide_squeeze....my user name here.....MY real name.

It was a cease and desist letter. I called the attorney, had a brief and cordial conversation, and informed him I would not make any more "over-the-top" comments about Grey Flannel, their client, going forward.

Yesterday morning, while I'm home, I get a call on my cell phone from Victor Moreno of AMI. He says he wanted to talk to me about an interesting "Rose" item he just received. He left a number to return his call. I called him back this morning, but have not received a return call.

Today, some guy who introduced himself as "Bob Lacy" who works for AMI shows up at my house. My wife just called to tell me this. The guy wants to talk to me. I told her to call the police and get them there immediately, and make a full report. My wife saw this guy looking through our windows... and mailbox....

I called his cell number and left a message. He has not returned my phone call.

Needless to say, this is alarming. Scarey stuff. I am posting this here in case something happens to me.

Listen people, I just want to say that when times get tough, and disgruntled people are pressed, sometimes it all ends badly. I have some seriously profound feelings that something bad is going down. For obvious reasons, if I am wrong, and all ends up O.K., then we'll speak again here. If not, I suggest you listen to this tread....and live by the "caveat emptor" rule.....just be aware of what you are buying because YOU are the only one who can be responsible for it.

Steve Mears......remember the name

dodgersfan
04-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Wow!
This sounds very scary,I hope everything works out for you and yours.
Have you done anything else but speak your mind?

Rudy

justinlm24
04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I think there is more to this than you are telling. You must have done something to prompt the visit, and for you to be so worried about it, or to think that you may be in danger. Certainly all of this wouldn't be going on over some comments you made on this forum.....I may be wrong, but there seems to be more to tell.....

kylehess10
04-09-2009, 04:04 PM
...something tells me Lou Lampson might be showing up at my door one of these days. I'd ofcoarse invite him in, and show him my bat collection, then beat him over the head with one.

momen55
04-09-2009, 04:16 PM
what is this in reference to? i am just curious, not nosey?:confused:

TriplexXxSports
04-09-2009, 05:14 PM
.....Steve Mears......remember the name

Is this 'Mears' as in MEARS AUTHENTICATION?

allstarsplus
04-09-2009, 05:34 PM
To all GUU members.....If there are still any of you who doesn't think this forum has significant importance in the memorabilia industry....think again.

Yesterday, by pure chance, I was home from work. First day off I've taken in over 6 months. So the mail comes, and I see a letter addressed to me, return address is that of a law firm locally.

I open it, and it's addressed to me. Not suicide_squeeze....my user name here.....MY real name.

It was a cease and desist letter. I called the attorney, had a brief and cordial conversation, and informed him I would not make any more "over-the-top" comments about Grey Flannel, their client, going forward.

Steve - How do you think they got your real name and address? Are you registered with GFC or is someone playing a prank on you?

Hope all works out!!!

otismalibu
04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Note to self...

Add suicide squeeze to my Dead Pool on May 1st.:)

Only kidding, Steve.

Steve?

Steve?

kingjammy24
04-09-2009, 05:58 PM
you're lucky they didn't send col. rast!

anyway i think howard wolf once received a cease-n-desist from GFC's (real estate) attorney. maybe the implication was that if howard didn't clam up, they would delay his escrow or petition to have his property taxes reassessed.

i, on the other hand, have never been found by any of the houses. maybe it's because i never leave the house without my shrub costume?

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6549/sillykaz.jpg

rudy.

Lokee
04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
WOW

words cannot express this thread

Stay safe man desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.

BULBUS
04-09-2009, 07:51 PM
you're lucky they didn't send col. rast!

anyway i think howard wolf once received a cease-n-desist from GFC's (real estate) attorney. maybe the implication was that if howard didn't clam up, they would delay his escrow or petition to have his property taxes reassessed.

i, on the other hand, have never been found by any of the houses. maybe it's because i never leave the house without my shrub costume?

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6549/sillykaz.jpg

rudy.

rudy, that was you. we met almost two years ago in san fran. then you yelled at me saying it wasnt a free show! :D

dodgersfan
04-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Thats right!
Fishermans Wharf.

Rudy

Eric
04-09-2009, 08:38 PM
As long as we deal with facts then there's nothing wrong with asking questions about items these auction houses are selling. This site has been instrumental in making some of these companies accountable for the first time. I would hate to think they are using intimidation tactics to get people here to stop talking.

Oh, and hey auction house geniuses- the FBI reads this site!

Eric

suicide_squeeze
04-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I am home, and everything is O.K.

But I am shaken, and have a lot of questions.

I did receive a call back from this guy who came over to my house today. I did not get his name completely correct, as my wife may have misheard him when he pronounced it. But as it turns out, he is a local neighbor of mine, and had heard that I was in "trouble" with Grey Flannel. I will have another conversation tonight with him, as I still don't understand his "urgency" to contact me today, or especially the way he went about it.

My wife didn't open the door when he knocked, she asked "Who's there?" He asked for me, by name, and inquired if I was home. She asked "Who are you, do you know my husband?" He said "I'm Bob "XXXX", I know AMI, I'm in the business." She may have thought that meant he worked for them. In any case, in light of receiving the letter I received from Grey Flannel's attorney, this all seemed to be too coincidental.

I am very unsettled in regards to what has transpired in the last 24 hours. I am not naive. I know it's a big bad world out there. But I also thought there were privacy laws that were supposed to be followed. It is upsetting to know that anyone can find out basically anything they want to know about anyone.....with little effort these days.

That said, I have nothing to hide. But it is a sobering thought when reality rears it's ugly head, and the thought you may have pissed off somebody badly enough that they may be participating in some sort of retalitory activity.....seems to have come your way.

I am not here for the B.S. drama. And certainly I have no intentions or desires to have my children brought up in an orphanage, or to participate in any legal action because of my participation on a forum in a hobby I love. I am not making any accusations against anyone here. There has been a bunch of threads lately posting opinions and questions about a bunch of jerseys in Grey Flannels current auction. It is of the opinion of someone at Grey Flannel that lines have potentially been approached that lean on the "defamation of character" ground. I for one want to make it clear that what has been posted, albeit colorful in words and "opinions", are nothing but just that. Opinions and questions.

Apparently Mr. Russek is upset. I will be calling him tomorrow to attempt to clear this thing up. I hope I am successful in reaching him.

You can speak the words of GOD himself as his messenger....but rest assured, if you say something that pisses someone off, you're asking for it.

I also did have a very nice and lenghthy conversation with Victor. I do not believe that my personal info was given out by him. I am comfortable saying that. And lastly, I want everyone to know that, whatever is going on here, I want it to end.

I don't think that the events of the last 24 hours are all merely a "coincidence". I was shaken by what happened today. I had three relatives (who are in the LAPD) race to my house to protect my wife if need be. As it turns out, that may have been in haste, but GEEZUZ. After receiving a warning from an attorney, then out of the blue there is a guy knocking on my door asking for me? What would you guys have thought?

I still have questions. I still want to know who gave him my address. I still want to know why it was so urgent to contact me today.

Like I said before, I'm not in this hobby for the drama. I would suggest to any of you who want to post thoughts on items.....please make sure you follow the rules spelled out by Chris Cavalier. And don't for one minute think if you upset somebody in this business, there isn't going to be ramifications for it. I didn't sign up for this s#!t, and I certainly don't want to end up in a mess because I shared a bit of history, anguish, and thoughts in my years of collecting. I am here for the pleasure, and to learn.

And I learned from this. I don't want the drama. My posts will be carefully thought out, and far fewer, going forward.

suicide_squeeze
04-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Is this 'Mears' as in MEARS AUTHENTICATION?

Same name, but that, I assure you, is pure coincidence.

I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with MEARS authentication service (but I did think it was cool their initials spelled out my last name when I first heard of them.)

spartakid
04-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Just to let you know, it's VERY difficult to prove defamation, and it's not defamation if it's your opinion. I would say don't allow yourself to be intimidated. Then again, all the stuff you mentioned didn't happen to me, so it's easy for me to say. Just letting to know that this letter is just to scare you, and they couldn't really do anything. Ricardo

Mr.3000
04-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I would love for one of them to show up at my place of residence.

911 dispatch: Where's your emergency?

Me: Hello. I just shot an intruder.

Got to love the great Commonwealth of Virginia! Yee-Haw! LOL

kingjammy24
04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Then again, all the stuff you mentioned didn't happen to me, so it's easy for me to say. Ricardo

ricardo, did you not have a neighbor knock on your door? kidding :p

what exactly happened here? steve you received a C&D, one of dozens i'm sure richie has whipped off in the past few years, and then intimated that you were marked for death?

"After receiving a warning from an attorney, then out of the blue there is a guy knocking on my door asking for me? What would you guys have thought?"

i would've thought i received a C&D and then some guy knocked on my door. worst case scenario, maybe a process server. or jehovah's witness. "hitman" probably wouldn't have crossed my mind. if i had a nickel for everytime someone threatened to sue me..

anyway, common sense and an understanding of what constitutes libel (and how difficult it is to win a libel case) should keep most people out of trouble. if you're never going to make a negative statement against GFC again then richie probably wishes they were all so easy.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6444/sillyk.jpg

rudy.

spartakid
04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Mr. 3000, I was thinking of Texas, but apparantly in Virginia you can also shoot an intruder. I wish California would have that law as well:D

whatupyos
04-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Mr. 3000, I was thinking of Texas, but apparantly in Virginia you can also shoot an intruder. I wish California would have that law as well:D

So do I, Ricardo, so do I. Unfortunately we live in a state where criminals have more rights than us law abiding citizens. Funny little place we live in here.

Aaron

suicide_squeeze
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
ricardo, did you not have a neighbor knock on your door? kidding :p

what exactly happened here? steve you received a C&D, one of dozens i'm sure richie has whipped off in the past few years, and then intimated that you were marked for death?

"After receiving a warning from an attorney, then out of the blue there is a guy knocking on my door asking for me? What would you guys have thought?"

i would've thought i received a C&D and then some guy knocked on my door. worst case scenario, maybe a process server. or jehovah's witness. "hitman" probably wouldn't have crossed my mind. if i had a nickel for everytime someone threatened to sue me..

anyway, common sense and an understanding of what constitutes libel (and how difficult it is to win a libel case) should keep most people out of trouble. if you're never going to make a negative statement against GFC again then richie probably wishes they were all so easy.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6444/sillyk.jpg

rudy.

I guess you guys can find humor in it, I'm o.k. with that.

But Rudy, when you know you've made some comments about some places of biz that you've dealt with in the past, and some of them are colorful, spiked with a bit of humor, and short of....let's say, "complimentary", and the place is struggling right now.....basically it could be taken as a cheap shot by the poster as a personal attack, badly timed at that. Not my intent at all....but when you have a guy banging on your door on a workday in the middle of the afternoon......a guy you've never met, and he's looking for you??.....A guy who would/should probably assume you aren't home.....you've got to maybe second guess what you've put out there. Couple that with the timing of the other stuff (the call from Victor out of the blue....the letter C&D letter from GF's legal counsel)....I don't think I'm being overly paranoid.

This all made me stop and think....times are tough. People are stressed. They're pissed. The news is horrendous. Shootings every day. Bad times everywhere. I think that is something to be considered.

And we've all heard the old addage "Don't mess with a man's means of making a living"....

Well, I would say with no hesitation that that is a stretch, I don't believe any post I've ever read (or written) would fall under that category, but this rattled me because of the timing.

Look, I'm no pushover. I've been involved in sports my whole life, had a personal try-out with the California Angels years ago. I'm 6'4", 240 and athletic to this day.

But this rattled my cage. I felt like I was out of control of my whole situation. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder for something as silly as all this.

Trublubrucru
04-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Squeeze,

Anyone who has membership to GUU can access members names through Hobby network/browse profiles. We'd be naive not to think every auction house doesn't monitor or have a cousin keeping an eye on what goes down here. The net can find almost anything. By the way, everyone appreciates problems exposed to sunlight.

thrush29
04-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Squeeze,

1st of all sorry for all of the stress your going through.....As for the Grey Flannel letter, IMO its just a letter and it costs next to nothing to send one. I think King Jammy hit it on the head "anyway, common sense and an understanding of what constitutes libel (and how difficult it is to win a libel case) should keep most people out of trouble." if you're never going to make a negative statement against GFC again then richie probably wishes they were all so easy.
as for the ami call could it be just coincidence..call them back. As for the guy showing up at your door.....I've had so many solicitors approach my residence I've had to put a no soliciting sign on the door.....and that doesnt even work. I have found that cussing them out and telling them to get the hell off my property does.....

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Thrush29

kingjammy24
04-10-2009, 12:27 AM
"This all made me stop and think....times are tough. People are stressed. They're pissed. The news is horrendous. Shootings every day. Bad times everywhere. I think that is something to be considered."

yeah times are tough and people are stressed and it's going to make them even more stressed if they get ripped off by an auction house.

"And we've all heard the old addage "Don't mess with a man's means of making a living..."

and if that man's living entails ripping others off? sorry i have no sympathy. you know the great thing about a market economy? natural selection. if you offer a lousy product with lousy customer service then you're probably not going to last long and that's a good thing for consumers. am i not supposed to discuss bad items because johnny auctionhouseowner mismanaged his negligent auction house and is now suffering because of it? if you run your business a certain way, if you let your employees play stickball in the backroom with consignments, have horrendous customer service, hire the worst authenticator in the business, hire the girls from the local gentleman's club to model jerseys, then don't whine at the consequences. good riddance. i can think of a few auction houses the hobby would be better off without.

as for posting, learn what constitutes libel and don't do it. it's really very easy. ever since the forum was created in 2005, i don't recall anyone being killed over a post and i don't even recall any lawsuits.

"I'm 6'4", 240 and athletic to this day."

you sound dreamy! no wonder your neighbor was peeking in your windows.

rudy.

trsent
04-10-2009, 01:07 AM
I would guess Grey Flannel would send a letter of such nature when they see people questioning items on this forum, but the forum rules were not followed. I believe there is a Sticky on a new post by Chris Cavalier about the forum policies that have not been followed.

I personally have been in contact with Grey Flannel with concern why there have been 10-15 items (of an 800 plus item auction) so openly questioned on this forum from the preview alone that has made people question Grey Flannel's authentication process for this auction.

This number of questioned items is much higher than I have seen in past Grey Flannel auctions (maybe a couple of items here or there, but not so many so quickly) and I was concerned what changes were made in the process that there are so many questions.

They appear to be attempting to correct the items of issue, but at the same time they appeared concerned that Game Used Universe has a policy of the auction house (or any seller) being questioned before accused of wrong-doing, often accused of intent, without first being contacted to address the issues brought up.

I asked in a few threads what Grey Flannel's response was when questioned as a few items the posts were made just hours (less than 24 per forum policy) after the preview went online. The posts never mentioned a reply about their concerns, and as it turns out the auction house was not contacted before the posts took place. Once the accuser admitted they were going to contact the auction house later that day after already stating an item is not genuine.

The forum rules are simple but people attack me time and time again when I question if they are following the forum rules so maybe an error can be explained or corrected before someone makes a post about it since maybe there is more to the item than the questioner knows. I am also concerned with the issues posted about items that have been questioned but I also am concerned when the seller is not first contacted time and time again and no one stands up for what is listed as a rule.

There is a way to post concerns without accusing an auction house of fraud and without stating an item is not genuine. It would make things so much similar.

Capital-Sports
04-10-2009, 01:10 AM
I thin GFC needs some good ol' Marine Corps lovin!!!! (which isn't a good thing)

cohibasmoker
04-10-2009, 07:59 AM
As long as we deal with facts then there's nothing wrong with asking questions about items these auction houses are selling. This site has been instrumental in making some of these companies accountable for the first time. I would hate to think they are using intimidation tactics to get people here to stop talking.

Oh, and hey auction house geniuses- the FBI reads this site!

Eric

Eric - that is why issues about item (s) should be brought up AFTER the fact. Why?

1) No-one could say that comments on this site affected their auction;
2) FBI agents ARE NOT collectors so if issues are pointed out, they can understand what the issue (s) are;
3) Agents could care less about a single item but rather follow a "pattern" of behavior;
4) After a pattern is established and a money threshold is reached, then it MAY warrant an investigation (RICO).
5) I keep hearing about Letters of Opinion. How about the term Fiduciary relationship?

Jim

metsbats
04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Meanwhile back at the auction house meeting place..

cohibasmoker
04-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Meanwhile back at the auction house meeting place..

Hey metsbats - Awesome

metsbats
04-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I would guess Grey Flannel would send a letter of such nature when they see people questioning items on this forum, but the forum rules were not followed. I believe there is a Sticky on a new post by Chris Cavalier about the forum policies that have not been followed.

I personally have been in contact with Grey Flannel with concern why there have been 10-15 items (of an 800 plus item auction) so openly questioned on this forum from the preview alone that has made people question Grey Flannel's authentication process for this auction.

This number of questioned items is much higher than I have seen in past Grey Flannel auctions (maybe a couple of items here or there, but not so many so quickly) and I was concerned what changes were made in the process that there are so many questions.

They appear to be attempting to correct the items of issue, but at the same time they appeared concerned that Game Used Universe has a policy of the auction house (or any seller) being questioned before accused of wrong-doing, often accused of intent, without first being contacted to address the issues brought up.

I asked in a few threads what Grey Flannel's response was when questioned as a few items the posts were made just hours (less than 24 per forum policy) after the preview went online. The posts never mentioned a reply about their concerns, and as it turns out the auction house was not contacted before the posts took place. Once the accuser admitted they were going to contact the auction house later that day after already stating an item is not genuine.

The forum rules are simple but people attack me time and time again when I question if they are following the forum rules so maybe an error can be explained or corrected before someone makes a post about it since maybe there is more to the item than the questioner knows. I am also concerned with the issues posted about items that have been questioned but I also am concerned when the seller is not first contacted time and time again and no one stands up for what is listed as a rule.

There is a way to post concerns without accusing an auction house of fraud and without stating an item is not genuine. It would make things so much similar.

I agree. Following the rules by contacting the auction house and following the forum rules will certainly help avoid issues. It adds alot of legitimacy to the questions and opens the dialogue to resolution verses confrontation. Additionally we get all emotional when we see things we believe are not correct and may add a little colour into our posts. That does not help either.

The same applies on the other side: GFA's response via the letter is appropriate (if the rule was not followed) however stalking someone at their home is not.

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree. Following the rules by contacting the auction house and following the forum rules will certainly help avoid issues. It adds alot of legitimacy to the questions and opens the dialogue to resolution verses confrontation. Additionally we get all emotional when we see things we believe are not correct and may add a little colour into our posts. That does not help either.

The same applies on the other side: GFA's response via the letter is appropriate (if the rule was not followed) however stalking someone at their home is not.

Metsbat,

That the point. If you want to bring light to something you question, for whatever reason, do it by the rules.

Okay, I got it.

Am I going to clam up like a little girl and go away? No. But I will use quite a bit of discretion before I place a post....no insults, no joking around in personal terms, etc. "Just the facts, maam".

It's funny, but the deeper you dig into this business, you find out the spider web spreads out a lot further than you would have ever thought. Everyone knows everyone. They hate eachother, and they scratch eachothers backs. It's all about getting what they want out of the moment.

Christ, what an unhealthy environment.

But it all ends up in the same place: The responsibility of letting your $$$'s out of your posession to buy an item begins and ends with YOU. It's nice to have a place to help us all become our own "authenticator's". Just be safe about it.

Nice picture and post metsbats.....brought a big smile to my face, this morning. We're all still alive, and my house isn't rubble and ash. But the funny thing is it may not be so far off from the truth.

What is said here matters. Be responsible and safe people.

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 09:34 AM

They do....If you state that "you feared for your life" and have reasonable evidence to support that.

To anyone possibly thinking of paying me an unannounced visit at my home......

........be on notice that I'm pretty fearful these days.;)

Eric
04-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Eric - that is why issues about item (s) should be brought up AFTER the fact. Why?

1) No-one could say that comments on this site affected their auction;
2) FBI agents ARE NOT collectors so if issues are pointed out, they can understand what the issue (s) are;
3) Agents could care less about a single item but rather follow a "pattern" of behavior;
4) After a pattern is established and a money threshold is reached, then it MAY warrant an investigation (RICO).
5) I keep hearing about Letters of Opinion. How about the term Fiduciary relationship?

Jim

Jim
Issues should be brought up when they come up. They should definitely not wait until after the fact. I am tired of seeing people get burned on items that have been pointed out to the auction houses as being questionable.

American Memorabilia banned me from their auctions because I was pointing out too many bad items certified by their mysterious 100% Authentic Team. It's a joke.

And if an auction house is dumb enough to ignore the proof that an item is bad AND is dumber enough to try to intimidate someone into not questioning their items, it at least makes me feel better that people in law enforcement are already reading these posts.

Jim, I think you and I agree on these things. Perhaps I didn't word my previous post properly.
Eric

camarokids
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM
You should STILL continue to identify items that are not legit.

If what you are posting is the truth, you have nothing to fear.

No one can sue you for posting the truth.

As far as the intimidation factor, don't sweat it. I doubt anyone will try anything stupid that will land them in jail.

If someone is trying to scare you, don't let them.

Mind control!

trsent
04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Nuff said!! lol lol:D

I don't get it - If there is a joke here, please elaborate.

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Nuff said!! lol lol:D

You know what really pisses me off?

I come on this site, and I read and see some really enlightening stuff. Great for all to read as it helps us all and teaches us a lot about our hobby.

And then there's the posts that make you laugh. Always a pleasure, because who doesn't need a laugh.

But sometimes, you get to the ignorant stuff that makes you shake your head. Like sylbry and suave1477's cute little comments here.

I come here to try to help educate you f'ing people, and you have the balls to come up with your little chickens#!t stabs at calling me a drama queen.

suave1477.....I've read a lot of what you posted, so keep laughing, dude. My only suggestion to you is to review your collection. Your "confidence" in the places you buy your stuff from shows your level of intellect. I hope you aren't collecting with the goal of reselling for your retirement, because by that time you just may find you're stuck with a lot of garbage. Good luck to you in your collecting endeavors, and as far as I'm concerned, don't bother reading anything I have to post. It doesn't do guys like you any good anyways.

You pissants who sit behind your computers and throw out darts at people who are seriously interested in cleaning up this hobby are a dissappointment to the rest.

Call me what you want, I could care less. But when the day comes someone's knocking on your door of your residence when you're at work, you may just feel a little different.

But I guess you hero's don't have to worry about that. Hell, what threat are you to ANYONE?

"lol lol"

trsent
04-10-2009, 12:32 PM
You should STILL continue to identify items that are not legit.

If what you are posting is the truth, you have nothing to fear.

No one can sue you for posting the truth.

As far as the intimidation factor, don't sweat it. I doubt anyone will try anything stupid that will land them in jail.

If someone is trying to scare you, don't let them.

Mind control!

Sure all questionable items should be posted after the seller replies to your questions or a 24 hour period of time has elapsed since you questioned the seller about your concerns. This gives the seller a chance to reply before being questioned when they may or may not be in the wrong.

Too many people post: "FAKE" before asking the seller about their item because they can't match the item up with a picture from Getty Images (or whatever image site) and they may miss something the seller could use to help them before scaring away people. Many times the questioner is correct, but why have rules if some people follow them and other's don't?

Eric is right - We should not ignore the items or be intimidated by any items that appear questionable for whatever reason.

What many wish to ignore is a policy of Game Used Universe that has been ignored and abused time and time again.

trsent
04-10-2009, 12:36 PM

I come on this site, and I read and see some really enlightening stuff. Great for all to read as it helps us all and teaches us a lot about our hobby.

And then there's the posts that make you laugh. Always a pleasure, because who doesn't need a laugh.

But sometimes, you get to the ignorant stuff that makes you shake your head. Like sylbry and suave1477's cute little comments here.

I come here to try to help educate you f'ing people, and you have the balls to come up with your little chickens#!t stabs at calling me a drama queen.

suave1477.....I've read a lot of what you posted, so keep laughing, dude. My only suggestion to you is to review your collection. Your "confidence" in the places you buy your stuff from shows your level of intellect. I hope you aren't collecting with the goal of reselling for your retirement, because by that time you just may find you're stuck with a lot of garbage. Good luck to you in your collecting endeavors, and as far as I'm concerned, don't bother reading anything I have to post. It doesn't do guys like you any good anyways.

You pissants who sit behind your computers and throw out darts at people who are seriously interested in cleaning up this hobby are a dissappointment to the rest.

Call me what you want, I could care less. But when the day comes someone's knocking on your door of your residence when you're at work, you may just feel a little different.

But I guess you hero's don't have to worry about that. Hell, what threat are you to ANYONE?

"lol lol"

What is really sad is that the knock on your door came right around the time of the letter you received, and your concerns are genuine as I know if my wife had a visitor while I was out of my home I too would be concerned - Even if we were mistaken and it was a concerned neighbor.

I wish for your family all the best.

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 12:53 PM
First off, thanks for the kind words Joel. I can speak for my wife that they are very much appreciated from us both.

So I just called Grey Flannel, spoke to a gentlemen by the name of "T.J.".

I asked to please speak to Richard Russek. He asked what this was regarding, and I explained that it was a matter that I really wanted to clear up with him.

I was told Richard was out in California at the moment.

That would be the state I live in. I hope he is here for a business matter and nothing related to my special "visitor" yesterday.

Another coincidence? I hope so.....but hey, you know ME.....I'm a f'ing "drama queen"......

I asked T.J. to please try to contact Mr. Russek and have him call me so I can clear up this whole matter with him. I am waiting for him to call.

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks to whomever removed that silly post.

Lokee
04-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I see NOTHING funny about this post.

Shit like this is serious.

Please keep us updated on the situation if possible and to let us know your ok.

kingjammy24
04-10-2009, 01:58 PM

steve for the love of all things great and small what are you still doing home? get in your car and drive!! drive and don't stop until you reach china! don't you realize what's going on? they've sent richie himself to do the job!

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5569/silly.jpg

rudy.

sylbry
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM

"lol lol"

"You pissants who sit behind your computers and throw darts at people..." Pot calling the kettle black here with this statement. No one throws more darts from the comfort of their own home like you. A couple fine threads for example.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24574

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23765

And you wonder why people are angry at you. You ticked some people off and now you have to deal with it. Tough. Do I condone their actions. Nope. Do I condone the garbage that some put up in their auctions. Nope. But be a man and step up when confront them instead of running to your computer. You brought this upon your self.

"I come hear to help educate you f'ing people..." Gee thanks. I don't want, need, or care for your f'ing education.

"... and you have the balls to come up with your little chicken sh*t stabs at calling me a drama queen." It doesn't take balls to make message board comments as you have recently shown so well. I am still laughing at this comment. "I am home, and everything is O.K. But I am shaken, and have a lot of questions." All because you got a letter, a call, and a stranger came to your doorstep.

(CONTENT REMOVED)

sportscentury
04-10-2009, 02:42 PM

"lol lol"

Beautiful!

I wish you the best, Steve.

sylbry
04-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Guess I should have called you Elliot Ness instead.

I am sorry but this is so comical. You have bashed basically every auction house. It is hasn't been something simple like "this is bad because", rather it is a full on "this stupid auction house can't get anything right. Look at this P.O.S." So they MAIL you a LETTER, make a PHONE CALL, and some guy shows up on your door who you MISTAKE for someone from an auction house. And you call that a threat. I call that an overactive imagination.

allstarsplus
04-10-2009, 03:07 PM

"lol lol"

I wanted to come on here and vouch for Steve as I have been fortunate enough to get to know him, talk to him, and we have also helped each other with our own collections.

When Steve first came on the Forum he contacted me on a couple of items I had. I didn't know him (at the time) and was somewhat cautious as he wanted to buy a significant piece and quickly stroked off a check for several thousand $$$$ and it turned out to be one of the best experiences I have had on the Forum as that has led to other things.

Steve is a no BS type of guy that the high-end auction houses need.

I think Steve put this thread out here as a lesson into the nature of some of the people you deal with in the industry so it doesn't happen to others.

This isn't drama as this is real-life stuff.

Eric
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Couple of questions

Has anyone else received a cease and desist letter from Grey Flannel?

Has anyone else had someone from an auction house show up at their house unannounced?

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Guess I should have called you Elliot Ness instead.

I am sorry but this is so comical. You have bashed basically every auction house. It is hasn't been something simple like "this is bad because", rather it is a full on "this stupid auction house can't get anything right. Look at this P.O.S." So they MAIL you a LETTER, make a PHONE CALL, and some guy shows up on your door who you MISTAKE for someone from an auction house. And you call that a threat. I call that an overactive imagination.

That's a very cute little convenient summary.

Inacuarate as all hell, ignorant, self-serving.....but cute.

Feel better?

Don't EVER put words in my mouth, sylbry.

It you're going to post quotes...copy and paste them or click on the "quote" tab. That would at least make it accurate.....er....at least in your attempt for anything resembling accuracy, not illiterate (ex. spelling "here" as you did, "hear"...wrong, and out of context) like you have displayed, and self-serving while going along with other posters who are laughing with you. You think I give one crap about YOU laughing at this?

I found out who came over to my house. He is someone who has been around....who has DEEP roots in MLB. He is affiliated with an Auction house, or auction houses....to what degree is not important for me to disclose. He is in this business, that's all I can say. The police have the full report, and all of the info which I have chosen to keep quiet on. I'm consciously not sharing the info here as I feel it serves no purpose....other than to further sink myself into this dismal sandpit I got myself into.

I'm working to correct that. I don't need some a-hole like you, or your opinions, to clue ME into what's right or wrong, dangerous or silly paranoia ("overreactive imagination"???).

These people don't have someone knocking on YOUR door, they're knocking on MINE. It's a bit tough to know what to do when you don't have a complete understanding of what you're dealing with.

But I'll tell you this. I know what I'm dealing with in regards to you. You want to question my manhood....I'd be more than happy to meet you face to face and answer.

The fact still remains....his "visit" and timing of such bring about a LOT of questions....questions the police are interested in knowing answers to. Until I get them, I'm going to be careful....in what I say, and to whom. And I don't give one S#!T what you think about me. I am a major collector and am known to all these places. Instead of throwing out your stupid little bird droppings in my direction, you should pay attention.

sylbry
04-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Do I ever wish the forum had an edit function. First I want to apologize to Steve. The fact he felt threatened is not a laughing matter. However, the insinuation that an auction company is out to threaten people either mentally or physically is. They are a business and are just looking out for their best interest. And Steve has shown himself as someone who is bad for their business.

I would like to ask Steve why he felt threatened by a letter, a phone call, and a knock on the door. So much so that he told his wife to involve the police. To me that says you were expecting some sort of response due to your level of accusations against the auction houses. I would think most people would not feel threatened by those events (individually or collectively.)

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I wanted to come on here and vouch for Steve as I have been fortunate enough to get to know him, talk to him, and we have also helped each other with our own collections.

When Steve first came on the Forum he contacted me on a couple of items I had. I didn't know him (at the time) and was somewhat cautious as he wanted to buy a significant piece and quickly stroked off a check for several thousand $$$$ and it turned out to be one of the best experiences I have had on the Forum as that has led to other things.

Steve is a no BS type of guy that the high-end auction houses need.

I think Steve put this thread out here as a lesson into the nature of some of the people you deal with in the industry so it doesn't happen to others.

This isn't drama as this is real-life stuff.

Andrew,

As always, you are a class act and should serve as a role model to the people who want to conduct themselves with honor and dignity in business and in their personal lives.

Thanks for the kind words. I really hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter weekend.

My best always,

Steve

Eric
04-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Everyone, please stop the namecalling and fighting.

We can have an intelligent discussion about this

trsent
04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Steve, maybe comments such as the quote below had more to do with your letter than breaking of forum rules as I previously speculated:

Richard Russek is to the sports memorabilia auction hobby what Bernanrd Madoff was to the investment arena.....nothing but out for raking in bucks for himself as he lies his way to a huge fortune.

Shameful.

One was caught. Wonder if the other one will ever have his feet held to the fire?

The Basketball Hall of Fame obviously has no clue who they have a relationship with. My prediction is, some day......it will end badly.

I believe a lot of members of this forum make comments about people they do not really know or know what is going on with the situation of issues in an auction such as the current Grey Flannel Auction.

It is one thing for Grey Flannel Auctions to make a mistake and correct the situation. It is another to make public comments that they are intentionally making these "errors".

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Do I ever wish the forum had an edit function. First I want to apologize to Steve. The fact he felt threatened is not a laughing matter. However, the insinuation that an auction company is out to threaten people either mentally or physically is. They are a business and are just looking out for their best interest. And Steve has shown himself as someone who is bad for their business.

I would like to ask Steve why he felt threatened by a letter, a phone call, and a knock on the door. So much so that he told his wife to involve the police. To me that says you were expecting some sort of response due to your level of accusations against the auction houses. I would think most people would not feel threatened by those events (individually or collectively.)

Most people that feel "threatened" to the point they would act on it (do something, like send a letter, or maybe place some kind of non-tangible pressure on someone) would probably do that because the person is smart and knows a bit too much about certain things. Maybe has a way with "reasoning"...can identify something that maybe most overlook? And if the guy discussing things get a little bit too flambouyant or mouthy in what he is opining on, they feel obligated to shut those types up. MAYBE....once he falls into the trap of exposing stuff he knows, and he's already expressed a LOT of what he knows over the years to the auction houses themselves, that someone somewhere starts to worry "I wonder if he's going to go back and say something about THAT?"

You have nothing to worry about. You apparently aren't smart, and know nothing.

Look, before I ever even knew about this site, I'd call these major auction houses and question stuff. The next thing I knew, the "experts" on the other end of the phone were asking me "What makes you so skeptical about this item?" after they just ran the gamit of it's provenance and history. So I point out the one little fly in the ointment that contradicts the whole issue....suddenly I'm on a silent phone call, and I'm the one realizing I better shut the hell up!

So I'm done attacking. I've learned my lesson. If I feel the need to "express an opinion" on anything going forward, I'll clearly address it as such.

(CONTENT REMOVED)

What id I were to tell you I watched an item go for $85,000 and I could prove to you, WITHOUT QUESTION, that it was either of two things:

A) Completely fake
B) Modified to appear to be something it wasn't and NOT described as such.

You think an auction house wants me here spouting this stuff off?

I'll be taking that little secret to my grave, because like I've said....I'm done with this. It's not fun....and on top of it all, I have to deal with guys like YOU....questioning my manhood, and calling me a tool.

trsent
04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Most people that feel "threatened" to the point they would act on it (do something, like send a letter, or maybe place some kind of non-tangible pressure on someone) would probably do that because the person is smart and knows a bit too much about certain things. Maybe has a way with "reasoning"...can identify something that maybe most overlook? And if the guy discussing things get a little bit too flambouyant or mouthy in what he is opining on, they feel obligated to shut those types up. MAYBE....once he falls into the trap of exposing stuff he knows, and he's already expressed a LOT of what he knows over the years to the auction houses themselves, that someone somewhere starts to worry "I wonder if he's going to go back and say something about THAT?"

Look, before I ever even knew about this site, I'd call these major auction houses and question stuff. The next thing I knew, the "experts" on the other end of the phone were asking me "What makes you so skeptical about this item?" after they just ran the gamit of it's provenance and history. So I point out the one little fly in the ointment that contradicts the whole issue....suddenly I'm on a silent phone call, and I'm the one realizing I better shut the hell up!

So I'm done attacking. I've learned my lesson. If I feel the need to "express an opinion" on anything going forward, I'll clearly address it as such.

What id I were to tell you I watched an item go for $85,000 and I could prove to you, WITHOUT QUESTION, that it was either of two things:

A) Completely fake

I'll be taking that little secret to my grave, because like I've said....I'm done with this. It's not fun....and on top of it all, I have to deal with guys like YOU....questioning my manhood, and calling me a tool.

Don't ever stop asking questions and don't let people bully you as they have done to me for years and years. Ask questions when you are concerned about an item. Post on here after your concerns have been addresses and you will sleep better at night knowing you helped a very small part of the world.

sarahsdad
04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I would bet that right now Grey Flannel is laughing their ass off as is most every other auction house. I know I am. Thanks for giving them the satisfaction. Sometimes standing up to someone is all that it takes to get them to back down. Last I heard you could not be sued for an opinion. Obviously they felt threatened or they would not have sent the letter. And their letter accomplished a lot more then they intended which was to scare Suicide Squeeze into silence and maybe having to put on a Depends for a few days. This whole thread is ridiculous. Maybe the Feds can put Suicide Squeeze in the witness protection program. Would that make you feel any better?
sarahsdad

Eric
04-10-2009, 04:15 PM
If you know about an $85,000 mistake, and have the factual proof then you should present it to the auction house and see their response, then post it here.

Facts are facts. Certain authenticators can write whatever they like to hype up an item and make it something that it's not. If proof exists to show otherwise, there's nothing wrong with letting others know. And it's not defamation. The defense of the charge of defamation is showing that what you are saying is the truth.

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Steve, maybe comments such as the quote below had more to do with your letter than breaking of forum rules as I previously speculated:

I believe a lot of members of this forum make comments about people they do not really know or know what is going on with the situation of issues in an auction such as the current Grey Flannel Auction.

It is one thing for Grey Flannel Auctions to make a mistake and correct the situation. It is another to make public comments that they are intentionally making these "errors".

I couldn't agree with you more.

That is why I am trying to contact Mr. Russek personally.

I want to apologize to him, and for the things that I have stated here. I no doubt made some harsh statements which really were nothing more than "colorful opinions"....right or wrong as they may be. I do not know this man personally. Therefore my comments have no substance. I fully understand why he took the action he did.

I want him to know they won't happen again.

Eric
04-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I would bet that right now Grey Flannel is laughing their ass off as is most every other auction house. I know I am. Thanks for giving them the satisfaction. Sometimes standing up to someone is all that it takes to get them to back down. Last I heard you could not be sued for an opinion. Obviously they felt threatened or they would not have sent the letter. And their letter accomplished a lot more then they intended which was to scare Suicide Squeeze into silence and maybe having to put on a Depends for a few days. This whole thread is ridiculous. Maybe the Feds can put Suicide Squeeze in the witness protection program. Would that make you feel any better?
sarahsdad

This thread is not ridiculous.
A) It's important hobby news that an auction house is sending a cease and desist letter to a person posting on a forum

B) There is the suggestion that another auction house sent someone to that same person's house unannounced. Was the intent to intimidate?
Either way we are seeing an interesting trend. Auction houses fighting back.

It was news when Historic Auctions blocked access from this forum after users proved item after item was fake/doctored/however you want to describe it.

It was news when American Memorabilia banned members of this forum who raised serious questions about their items.

All of these details paint the picture about the state of the hobby. You can't fault the guy for getting upset that someone showed up at his house unannounced and was looking for him when he wasn't supposed to be there.

I can't believe that you or anyone else wouldn't have a problem with that. We live in a world of cell phones and emails. There were plenty of other ways of approaching him without showing up...

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 04:28 PM
If you know about an $85,000 mistake, and have the factual proof then you should present it to the auction house and see their response, then post it here.

Facts are facts. Certain authenticators can write whatever they like to hype up an item and make it something that it's not. If proof exists to show otherwise, there's nothing wrong with letting others know. And it's not defamation. The defense of the charge of defamation is showing that what you are saying is the truth.

I'm just going to be honest....

At this point, and with what I'm going through now, I have no interest in bringing this to light.

At the time the item was in auction, I did notify the auction house of what I discovered/noticed. It was brushed off, and they let it go through. I know the person who bought the jersey would be sick if they were pointed out the oversight, because it unarguably spells diaster for the item.

That said, if I were the winning bidder of the item, I would appreciate the knowledge. I did my best to find out who won it (at that time)....and was told the identity could not be given out for any bidders. I understand that, and respect it. There is only so much I can do.

For now, I just need to put that on ice. If I choose to discuss it in the future, it will be expressed as an opinion, and nothing more. Others would be able to comment on it as they see fit.

I just can't do that right now, Eric. I hope you understand.

suave1477
04-10-2009, 04:48 PM
"You pissants who sit behind your computers and throw darts at people..." Pot calling the kettle black here with this statement. No one throws more darts from the comfort of their own home like you. A couple fine threads for example.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24574

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23765

And you wonder why people are angry at you. You ticked some people off and now you have to deal with it. Tough. Do I condone their actions. Nope. Do I condone the garbage that some put up in their auctions. Nope. But be a man and step up when confront them instead of running to your computer. You brought this upon your self.

"I come hear to help educate you f'ing people..." Gee thanks. I don't want, need, or care for your f'ing education.

"... and you have the balls to come up with your little chicken sh*t stabs at calling me a drama queen." It doesn't take balls to make message board comments as you have recently shown so well. I am still laughing at this comment. "I am home, and everything is O.K. But I am shaken, and have a lot of questions." All because you got a letter, a call, and a stranger came to your doorstep.

Try not being so high maintenance and quit being a drama queen.

Once again Sylbry hit the nail right on the head!!!

My favorite is how you think Russek is on his way out there just for you lol lol

lets forget about the mass emailing they sent out a week ago saying GreyFlannel is on it's way to California for consignments. I guess he is not good at hiding things if he is looking for you!!

I am not name calling!! All I did was agree with another members comment.

My whole point to this is you have been throwing darts, expect it to go over well and this time it may have came back to bite you (which I doubt) and now your acting scared.

This was your actual words
" But I will use quite a bit of discretion before I place a post....no insults, no joking around in personal terms, etc. "Just the facts, maam".

Don't you think you should have been doing that from the begining????

Now you want to use discretion after you think someone might actually threaten you???

I am sorry I do feel this is a valid thread Eric if it came from someone who dosen't bring it on themselves.

There is nothing wrong with questioning items but if you questions items and throw darts while questioning it may tend to piss some people off.

So as far as the thread I think it's great for education as far as sympathy for the OP I am with a lot of other members on this one.

Suicide by the way I am highly comfortable with the items I own as I do my own home work on them and do not just rely on others opinions, because they are just that, opinions. As I do respect many members opinions on this board, in the long run I am the one who is taking cash out of my pocket and spending it!!

sarahsdad
04-10-2009, 04:59 PM
The fact that this thread has gone on for this long with this much drama is truly ridiculous. I can hear the auction houses laughing at the forum from here.
sarahsdad

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 05:00 PM
suave1477....

You, simply put, are an idiot.

When did I ever say "Richard Russek is on his way out here just for me?

I simply stated that it was a coincidence that some guy well grounded in the field of our hobby, who's been throwing out there that he knows I'm in trouble with Grey Flannel, all of a sudden turns up knocking on my front door.

How do you know that he isn't friends with Mr. Russek? I don't know that he is, or he isn't. All I know is....I'm trying to reach Mr. Russek to clear this mess up, and he's spewing off I'm in trouble with him, and as it turns out, Mr. Russek is in California.

I have no idea whether any of those facts are related. Nor am I making any judgements to that fact.

So please, stop expressing your ignorance to everyone who knows better.

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 05:04 PM
The fact that this thread has gone on for this long with this much drama is truly ridiculous. I can hear the auction houses laughing at the forum from here.
sarahsdad

Thanks for your opinion.

(CONTENT REMOVED)

If you don't have anything constructive to say, please show a bit of respect by just moving on to the thread of your choice. I don't hink anyone's laughing at Grey Flannel. They don't remove your bidding privilages because they're "laughing" followed up by a C & D letter from their attorney.

34swtns
04-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I would love for one of them to show up at my place of residence.

911 dispatch: Where's your emergency?

Me: Hello. I just shot an intruder.

Got to love the great Commonwealth of Virginia! Yee-Haw! LOL

That's a BIG affirmative.

I welcome any sort of white collar intimidation at my front door.
By all means, bring it........I've got something for ya'.
Furthermore, the best way to understand the truest meaning of the words 'cease and desist' would begin with darkening my doorstep with a bad attitude.

mariner_gamers
04-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I am shocked that a few on this site think someone's opinions about an auction item translates into justification for personal confrontation at their front door. WOW!! I have lost all respect for those that feel this is some how deserved. Even if you think this situation has been portrayed as overly dramatic condoning someone showing up at SOMEONES PRIVATE RESIDENCE as something that should be expected because of him voicing his opinions is ridiculous!!! I have zero respect for those on here "settling" scores and choosing this topic to do so. You picked the wrong topic, the wrong tone, and the wrong verbiage to get back at past disagreements.

Please keep all of us updated on this and keep your opinions coming!!!!!

Davis

suave1477
04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
1) suave1477....

You, simply put, are an idiot.

I am glad you follow the rules of the forum about no name calling.

2) When did I ever say "Richard Russek is on his way out here just for me?
Your words
"That would be the state I live in. I hope he is here for a business matter and nothing related to my special "visitor" yesterday."

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that be you implicatiing that Russek is out there for involvment with you???

3)So please, stop expressing your ignorance to everyone who knows better.

My ignorance??? I am so glad your not into name calling. I think your show your character here over and over and everyone can decide for themselves how they feel about this thread or any other thread.

metsbats
04-10-2009, 05:34 PM
First off, thanks for the kind words Joel. I can speak for my wife that they are very much appreciated from us both.

So I just called Grey Flannel, spoke to a gentlemen by the name of "T.J.".

I asked to please speak to Richard Russek. He asked what this was regarding, and I explained that it was a matter that I really wanted to clear up with him.

That would be the state I live in. I hope he is here for a business matter and nothing related to my special "visitor" yesterday.

Another coincidence? I hope so.....but hey, you know ME.....I'm a f'ing "drama queen"......

I asked T.J. to please try to contact Mr. Russek and have him call me so I can clear up this whole matter with him. I am waiting for him to call.

I"m on GFA mailing list and Richard is in CA on business not related to your post.

sylbry
04-10-2009, 05:37 PM

You punk.....you come after me and tell me to be a man and deal with it....well I AM you SOB. And I'm dealing with reality. I strongly suggest you don't make any more skirt-like comments about anyone sitting behind their computers........you GOT ME, pal?

A) Completely fake

He was not threatened so please stop making him out to be a victim. The guy loves drama. From his I know everything attitude to him bragging about him being a major collector to threatening others to demeaning anyone who calls him on his pretend confrontation. Who are you trying to impress anyways? What a joke.

I would imagine the auction companies are having a good laugh at the wreck that is suicide squeeze. I know I would. Heck I would send another letter just to really make him flip out.

If you are really done, then leave. Goodbye. Good riddance. Your obnoxious attitude won't be missed.

sylbry
04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I really don't see why this joker isn't banned. He should have been on notice after that absolutely absurd rant about the Mantle jersey (just the latest of many). If he had actually abided by forum rules Grey Flannel would have told him YOU ARE WRONG. TRY READING THE DESCRIPTION FIRST. Grey Flannel would have done him the favor of saving him from public embarrasment anyways.

Now this thread, come on already.

aeneas01
04-10-2009, 06:05 PM
absolutely one of the most bizarre threads i've ever come across...

1. a cease and desist letter is just that - a request to cease and desist. how such a request could have possibly been construed as a life threatening event, regardless of one's state of mind, is beyond me.

2. to pretend that certain comments recently aimed at gfc were nothing more than typical forum banter and "colorful" opining is absurd because they weren't - and i think that's pretty clear given that every person that weighed in on gfc's current auction didn't receive a c&d. hey, i'm all for upping the ante at times when it comes to calling out an auction house - but if you're going to roll up your sleeves and invite these guys outside you can't go running to mommy when they take you up on your offer and follow you out the door. when pushed too far businesses, like anyone else, will push back. what's so surprising about that?

3. there's nothing mysterious or coincidental about russek's trip to the west coast - he makes the trip often. he told me about this particular trip over a month ago given that he wanted to meet while he was in the area to discuss my collection and chat about the hobby. he's extended an invitation several times in past when he planned to be out here but i haven't been able to make it work.

4. i don't think many forum members are intimidated by auction houses, dealers or sellers and will continue to post valuable information regarding suspect items whenever possible - i know i will. but i also know that if i publicly claim that a business is engaged in fraud, criminal activities, etc. i run the risk of hearing from that business - in the form of a c&d, not leg-breakers.

suicide_squeeze
04-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I am shocked that a few on this site think someone's opinions about an auction item translates into justification for personal confrontation at their front door. WOW!! I have lost all respect for those that feel this is some how deserved. Even if you think this situation has been portrayed as overly dramatic condoning someone showing up at SOMEONES PRIVATE RESIDENCE as something that should be expected because of him voicing his opinions is ridiculous!!! I have zero respect for those on here "settling" scores and choosing this topic to do so. You picked the wrong topic, the wrong tone, and the wrong verbiage to get back at past disagreements.

Please keep all of us updated on this and keep your opinions coming!!!!!

Davis

It's guys like you that deserve the effort, the sharing of what a limited few have been exposed to.

Thank you for the support and understanding of the situation. I want you to know that I have had other well wishes sent, and I am taking special note to all of them. Thanks from the heart.

I have to say....when I first joined this forum, I was warned by a few members that it has a way of breeding confrontation. I took it all with a grain of salt. Obviously I view the magnitude of those sentiments differently now.

I really enjoy the sharing of knowledge, and enlightenment of the hobby, but some of you people ought to be ashamed of yourselves and the comments you ignorantly lash out.

I am human, and I make mistakes. I have absolutely NO problem admitting that, or apologizing for mine when I do.

Even when the situation is serious to some of us, and turned into a circus by others, I actually still get a laugh out of the humor.

Rudy (kingjammy), I have to tell you that's some kind of computer graphics system you've got going. The terminator spoof had me laughing for quite awhile. I don't have a problem with stuff like that. In fact I welcome it. Laughs are good, sometimes very timly, and always healing to the soul. And the bottom line is, I know your efforts here, albeit a bit rough to some at times, are well intended, so I have a tendancy to laugh with you even when you are indirectly making fun of me.

But man, the other side of this forum is downright ugly. And I have had my eyes opened to that fact, and to a few specific characters. Be careful people, karma is real. I would take a moment and reflect on your projections of venom and anger, just as I will reflect on my over-zealous posts which got me here in the first place.

But I won't back down to insults when you have absolutely NO idea who I am, or what I stand for. Do as you will.

spartakid
04-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I must agree, words are one thing, but the reaction that was thought to have stemmed from those words or comments, whether or not they were actually real, would have been completely unjustified. My two cents, maybe we can all take away something from this situation, be more careful about how we approach things, but not necessarily allow ourselves to be silenced either. Ricardo

spartakid
04-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Be careful people, karma is real.

With a last name like Mears, I wouldn't have pegged you for being Hindu;)

intheminors
04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I like to request and cease and desist on this topic. There are far too many factors involved in this. I can't read nine pages of anything... much less form an opinion on it based on everyone's viewpoint.

I'd like to suggest locking it before things really get out of hand.

GoTigers
04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
The most amazing thing to me about this situation, is the one thing that is getting overlooked... An auction house sent a C&D letter to a member here for expressing his opinion, an opinion that sounds like it is based on facts.

First of all, I highly doubt any auction house will ever take a forum member to court over these issues. Any lawyer can tell you, if a business/person takes someone to court for Defamation of Character, or anything along those lines, its the business/ person who instigated the suite that is really put on trial.

What I mean by that is, the auction house would be taking a well informed collector into court.. which gives the collector an opportunity to show/ prove in a court of law that the auction house runs a fraudulent business. These businesses should be running from this sort of thing. I would call and tell GF you're looking forward to your day in court. You would be the nail in their coffin.

Eric
04-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Maybe you could get them back onto the People's Court...

Eric
04-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Everyone
Stop the name calling. Stop the threats. On both sides. I don't care who said what. Break the forum rules and you get suspended.
Respect each other and move on...
Eric

R. C. Walker
04-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Is it possible to see a scan of the letter?

gingi79
04-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Suicide has an opinion on everything and frankly he showed real character admitting he was wrong about a certain item. Some collectors may feel he is brash or caustic but I believe he is coming from a place where he is protecting collectors. Maybe he isn't the most tactful person but I'll take his strong willed comments from the right place over dancing around the facts. I don't always agree with him but I do think he is speaking from an overly protective of collectors viewpoint.

No one ever knocked on my door or sent a C&D letter. I'd be rattled too. Perhaps we should be concentrating more on the fact GF became angry and got their lawyers involved in a GUU member's life after posting here. Am I the only one who lost interest in GF auctions because of their strong arm tactics against a collector who called them on their crap?

Never forget our hobby is a close knit group. Just ask other boards about certain people and see the fur fly. Love him or hate him, Suicide got shafted by an auction house and that's messed up.

I hope you and your family can get passed this Suicide. NOT cool that your wife was rattled by someone because of a post here. Peace Brother.

bigtruck260
04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Everyone
Stop the name calling. Stop the threats. On both sides. I don't care who said what. Break the forum rules and you get suspended.
Respect each other and move on...
Eric

Wow - my eyes are blurry...finally had some time to read this whole thread.

Suicide - I agree about a few things. A letter with an attorney letterhead would upset me (not scare me)...as it would anyone. Who likes to be told to "quiet down" or else...but what can you really do but quiet down and move on with life...re-arrange your priorities. There are plenty of other folks at GUU who have no problem giving the auction houses greif. Take a break for a while.

Second, if someone (other than the mailperson) was wandering on my property, I would leave work and come home. I have a wife and 2 little kids. After that - I'd ask the cops to drive by a few times a day...which should not be hard for you since you said your connections at the police department were at your door relatively quickly. Again, a little scary - but are you going to let it stop you from working?

The first post of this thread read like you were on the brink of being whacked over some comments made here. If that was the case, a few major posters at this forum would be wiped out...maybe it was a little storybook - but hey, 4000 people were drawn to it. I wish I had some advertising space within it.

Bottom line is, before you post something like that, realize that there are some folks who will make fun of it...no matter how serious the TONE might be to you, it comes off a little dramatic. I honestly thought you playing some sort of joke. I realize you were not - but at the same time...I don't know you personally.

The two guys who have been arguing with you (Suave and Sylbry) are both good guys. So are you - the arguments could have probably been contained mostly to emails or PM's...all they do is bring out the worst in everyone.

Finally - the auction houses have already read this thread...and it's probably been circulated around the offices. As Sarahsdad mentioned earlier, they are likely laughing. With all of the good stuff that is posted here - we give them a thread like this that makes the whole forum seem like a bunch of undereducated sheep posting just to post.

Suicide - you are a good guy, but this thread was over the top from the beginning.

mariner_gamers
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I guess I don't understand why folks feel auction houses would think this is funny. Thousands of hardcore, big spending collectors read this daily. I doubt seriously any auction house wants anything to do with this type of issue. If anything concrete comes out of this the said auction house would be done. I wish we focused more on getting to the bottom of this instead of focusing on someone who made a statement and has been baited by a few folks. If in fact there is any truth to someone affiliated with an auction house showing up at a forum members house than that is where we need to start. If this was me and it had happened to me as stated in the original post and I had been taunted by forum members I would have been much less civil. If you don't believe it than work towards proving it false. I live in The Heart of the Hood South Phoenix so I think it is sad and tired to hear all the talk about chest puffing and being a "man". Clearly many forum members have never had a real confrontation occur on their front porch. I assure you it is one of the last things you want and after it happens it is the last thing you ask for going forward. So instead of banging on this guy anymore does anyone else have other experience with being intimitated by auction houses???

trsent
04-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I just don't understand why this discussion keeps going on and on as it can be summed up with a brief synopsis:

A member of the forum used poor taste in describing an executive of an auction house and that executive sent them a letter from their attorney asking them to stop slander. Then that person's neighbor knocked on their door and the member and his wife were rattled over the fact that a neighbor stopped by concerned it was more to do with the letter and finally the member has been attempting to personally contact the executive to clear the air.

Where does this discussion have to go from here?