PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about Game Issued vs Game/Pro Cut

skinsfan0521
04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
So, I'm new to the whole game used/issued thing... I'm really a sports card guy, now I'm getting into the memorabilia a bit more.

That being said, I know the obvious difference between the Game Used vs Game Issued, but I've never heard of this "Game/Pro Cut" before. What is it exactly? Is it the same as "Game Issued"? And what exactly makes something a "Game Issued" or "Game/Pro Cut" instead of just being an authentic jersey that I could get from a retail store?

Thank you VERY much for your answers!

-Brian

skinsfan0521
04-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh... and with either Game Issued or Game/Pro Cut is there anything that makes them more limited than just buying one from a retail store? What makes them more desirable than just buying an "authentic" jersey from a retail store?

Thanks again!

-Brian

kingjammy24
04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
"Game/Pro Cut" before. What is it exactly?"

there are 2 different opinions on the term. one opinion comes from collectors. the other opinion comes from dealers with skin in the game who profit from selling procuts as "game issued". ignore the latter for obvious reasons. if they weren't making money from bastardizing the term, they wouldn't feel the way they do.

a "pro cut" is a jersey that's almost identical to a game-issued shirt, except that it hasn't been legitimately issued to a team or player. it's difficult to provide a general definition that covers all of the bases because there exceptions and anomalies to the rule. they're a step above retail shirts. due to the similarity, you'll have dealers calling them "game issued" even though they aren't simply because it means some extra cash in their pocket.

"Is it the same as "Game Issued"?

no because they aren't game issued. a game issued shirt is one that was
issued but simply not actually worn. procuts were never intended to be issued and never went near a team locker room. how can you tell the difference between the two? many times you can't.

"And what exactly makes something a "Game Issued" or "Game/Pro Cut" instead of just being an authentic jersey that I could get from a retail store?"

the specific differences depend on the manufacturer, team, year, player, etc.

retail jerseys don't have year, set, or player tagging the way a game-issued shirt might. the wash tag might have a different code on a game-issued shirt than a retail shirt. the buttons might be different. the stitching on the nameplate might be different. the material might even be different. when russell sold authentic retail jerseys back in the early 90s, most of them were nylon. most russell pro shirts during the same time were polyester. the tagging might be sewn differently. when rawlings offered retail shirts in the 80s, they sewed the manufacturer tag only on the left and right sides, leaving the top and bottom unsewn. on their pro shirts, all 4 sides were sewn. again, the differences between game-issued/pro-cut and retail entirely depend on the manufacturer, year, team you're talking about. there aren't any set differences that hold true across all years and all teams and all manufacturers.

"..with either Game Issued or Game/Pro Cut is there anything that makes them more limited than just buying one from a retail store?"

other than the fact that fewer game-issued shirts are made than retail jerseys?

"What makes them more desirable than just buying an "authentic" jersey from a retail store?"

they're two different kinds of jerseys. a game-issued shirt was ordered by the team and issued for the sake of wearing on the field of play. a game-issued shirt will have been made for a specific player and will have his customizations and proper size. everything on the jersey will be manufactured according to "pro" standards, from any patches to the numbering and lettering. an authentic retail jersey was made solely for retail sale to the public. the patches may differ as they're retail patches, the lettering and numbering may differ. it won't have any player customizations.

rudy.

skinsfan0521
04-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Thank you very much for the very detailed answers to all of my questions. I think after those answers, I may be interested in a Game Issued, but certainly not a game/pro cut jersey.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

-Brian

kingjammy24
04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Thank you very much for the very detailed answers to all of my questions. I think after those answers, I may be interested in a Game Issued, but certainly not a game/pro cut jersey.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

-Brian

ebay is littered with procuts being sold as "game issued". usually takes a pretty honest seller to use the term procut. modern/current game-issued shirts are easier to suss out given the current mass availability of team provenance. the blue jays sell jerseys directly and label which ones are game-used and which are "game ready" (their term for game-issued). many other teams and team-exclusive dealers like steiner and meigray do the same. aside from that sort of provenance, it would seem to be very difficult to suss out a truly game-issued jersey vs a procut.

rudy.