PDA

View Full Version : MeiGray

sportscentury
04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
It has been a while since I have sung MeiGray's praises. The time has come to do so once again. In the past two weeks, I've purchased three NBA gamers from MeiGray (two Jason Kidds and one Gary Payton). They are three of the nicest gamers I've ever seen (I've owned hundreds of NBA gamers over the years). As always, the customer service was nothing short of superb. The quality of product and customer service at MeiGray has been second to none since they opened their doors. All I can hope is that they continue to get more contracts with NBA/MLB/etc. teams

On a related note, there was a recent GUU thread that touched upon the topic of what percentage of bad/fake stuff a dealer or auction house can offer before collectors should raise their eyebrows. One member suggested that if 10-20% of what a dealer/auction house offers is bad, this should not be all that alarming and that this is what should generally be expected of dealers/auction houses. I will keep my thoughts as to the legitimacy of this notion to myself, and only ask the following question: Has there ever been a single MeiGray item that has even been questioned, never mind proven bad? If there is such a case, I have not heard of it. The integrity and ironclad authentication system with which MeiGray is run should be viewed as a model for the hobby/industry. Rather than accept a low standard because it represents an average behavior or condition, collectors should demand the high standard that MeiGray has set.

Please know that I have absolutely no financial interest in MeiGray whatsoever. I just think Barry and his colleagues are tops, and there is nothing more to it.

mbenga28
04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
yes they are, Barry and his staff especially Barbara Dand who deals with the NBA section of MeiGray. good post.

suave1477
04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
On a related note, there was a recent GUU thread that touched upon the topic of what percentage of bad/fake stuff a dealer or auction house can offer before collectors should raise their eyebrows. One member suggested that if 10-20% of what a dealer/auction house offers is bad, this should not be all that alarming and that this is what should generally be expected of dealers/auction houses. I will keep my thoughts as to the legitimacy of this notion to myself,

Sportscentury as I have nothing against you but I will be honest it does bother me whether if you or someone else refers to a comment I made and changes it or takes it out of context to make there own statements. I ask you and anyone else please do not do it.

Here was my statement which actually does not state what you said it does.
"Actually no I said technically as a guess 10% to 20% - I am going by what I have seen pointed out on this forum and items I personally felt questionable. But as I said that is just a guess percentage.
As far as comparing it to other businesses being done at only 80% - I am not sure that would require anyone to be fired. Most companies expect failure somewhere. That is why they have profit and loss statements to be off set by budgets."

As highlighted from your comment never did I say either one of those.

1) All I mentioned was a guess percentage wise that was pointed out to me through this forum or researchings of my own.
Where did I say this should not be alarming???

2) Then I stated that businesses do have fault problems and businesses expect to take a loss somewhere that is why they have profit and loss statements (purely financial related based on any general business) and that doesn't nessecarily mean people are getting fired. Or the customers/bidders should accept it.
Where did I say it should generally be expected by the bidder??? How you expect a business to be run is up to you. But I expect a business to give me there best performance possible all around.

I have no problem anyone here referring to my comments but please if your going to do so don't change what I say!!

gingi79
04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Barry and MeiGray are unrivaled. I am thrilled to say my collection has an overwhelmingly large number of items which have been through MeiGray's office. Between the jerseys tagged by them as part of their NHL game worn program and the shirt I have registered with them via Mei-Grade, it's comforting to concentrate on photomatching research rather than constantly questioning if it's really game worn (and if so, by which player)

Hopefully the Canucks will remain with them forever and Sami Salo remains with the Canucks for the rest of his career so I will have the rare piece of mind knowing my collection is above reproach.

Of course I always research items purchased via paying or bidding for them but MeiGray gives the rare guarantee that if you ever find out one of their shirts isn't what they said, you get a refund. This promise has no time limit. NO ONE else offers that.

Barry, Stu, Jason and Carrie have all be easily accessable and incredibly patient. They also exhibit excellent customer service and great knowledge. I try not to hold Barry's love of the Rangers against him even though it does get hard some times. =)

Let us also not forget that Barry Meisel is readily accessable. How many people can you name that run a company like MeiGray and yet still answer emails and phone calls? Sure the economy sucks and people are forced to do more to be profiable but he was doing this before that or the boom of game worn jerseys. He is also responsible for making game worns so easily accessable to the general public.

I may be biased but I don't think anyone in this hobby is as far above reproach as MeiGray. When people ask me about my collection and where I get them, I always take the opportunity to talk about MeiGray. If anyone on this board has questions, I encourage you to email or call them.

My last comment is to tell you a story about their integrity. Barry likes to setup a couple of hockey game worn grab bags. The last one gave collectors a 1 in 50 chance to get a game worn Sidney Crosby jersey (est. value $25,000) Buy in was $595. He sold almost all of them out and when the boxes arrived, several collectors were upset with what they received. While all shirts retailed on MeiGray's site at or above $595, many collectors felt that they received a shirt worth much less. Now I think I'm not alone in thinking that's too damn bad for you. If you buy a lottery ticket and don't get $1 million dollars, you lose and that's that. You don't get a second shot. But instead of Barry (rightfully in my opinion) telling them even if you don't get the big prize, you still got a shirt and that they paid $600 for a chance to get a $25,000 jersey, he took the collectors suggestions and made the following comprimise (taken verbatim from gwj.com)

"As I hope you all know, we encourage constructive criticism. We believe listening to our customers makes us a better company.

So while we at MGG believe that a stupdendous top prize of a photo-matched 2008-09 Crosby did justify the value in this Grab Bag, we do agree that some valid points have been made.

So here is what we are going to do:

Once the Crosby winner identifies herself or himself, we are going to mail the remaining 47 Grab Bag participants a $100 discount coupon that can be used on any MeiGray-owned (non-consignment) jersey in stock valued at $395 or more until December 31, 2009.

And then we will put these 47 names in a hat. And on Thursday, we will have a Forum member who is planning on visiting us Thursday pick three names out of a hat. So three Grab Bag participants will get a $1,250 or $1,495 jersey. These three jerseys will be:

NJ Devils Zajac, $1,250
Nashville Vokoun, $1,250
Florida Belfour, $1,495

Thanks for all your feedback. We spent a lot of time in the office today discussing ways to improve the Grab Bags.

Please continue to offer your ideas and feedback."

Do you know any other company who would do that? Case closed, they are the pinnacle in our hobby.

NEFAN
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I recently had a great experience with them also. I ordered 2 NFL Jersies from them on a monday at 11:00 am and had them at my door at 2:00 pm on the next day!

Kudos to Barry an the team.

paradoxx80
04-08-2009, 09:23 AM
For me, Meigray is the best of the best...There Customer service is beyond the best and will answer any questions or concerns you may have.

I hope they continue to expand what they do...

sportscentury
04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Good to read all of the positive posts. Not surprising. Rudy/KingJammy recently posted as to their photomatching ability, as well, and I must concur that it is top notch. The conduct their work quite thoroughly. My Kidd and Payton jerseys were all photomatched to several games, adding significantly to my initial interest.

otismalibu
04-09-2009, 02:34 PM
My Kidd and Payton jerseys were all photomatched to several games, adding significantly to my initial interest.

Photo matched or style matched? I've not seen many photo matched hoops jerseys. Post some pics!

sportscentury
04-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Photo matched or style matched? I've not seen many photo matched hoops jerseys. Post some pics!

Hey there, Greg -

No, not style-matched. Photo-matched. MeiGray has access to the Getty Images, so they can blow up the high-resolution photos and match jerseys by imperfections/oddities in the threads, patchwork, trim, and other jersey components to the Getty in-action photos. For more information, see Rudy's posts (#s 17 and 20) in the thread about Brett's Ripken helmet:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24580

When I get a chance, I'll post some pics in the "Post your Photo-Matched Items Here" thread that I started a few moons ago.

Hope all is well.
Best,
Reid

otismalibu
04-09-2009, 05:50 PM
MeiGray has access to the Getty Images, so they can blow up the high-resolution photos and match jerseys by imperfections/oddities in the threads, patchwork, trim, and other jersey components to the Getty in-action photos.

That's what I was wondering. Pretty tough to photo match hoops jerseys w/o access to high res photos. I just saw an Erving pic at Getty last night where he's got a scuff in the same spot on the same shoe, as one of my pairs. Sure would like to get a closer look at that photo. Not likely.

sportscentury
04-10-2009, 08:19 PM
That's what I was wondering. Pretty tough to photo match hoops jerseys w/o access to high res photos. I just saw an Erving pic at Getty last night where he's got a scuff in the same spot on the same shoe, as one of my pairs. Sure would like to get a closer look at that photo. Not likely.

Greg,

Check out Rudy's posts to which I provided the link in my last post. MeiGray may be able to help you photomatch your Dr. J shoes for a relatively small fee (especially if you've already located the photo for them). I imagine a photomatch would add serious value to a highly desirable vintage hoops item such as a pair of Doc's kicks. It may add to your enjoyment of the pair, as well. It's probably worth an email to Barry (sales@mail.meigray.com).

Best,
Reid