PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Bats In The Stands

stretch
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
This thread is to note which bats from the 2009 MLB season ended up going into the stands.

April 6th:

Cleveland/Texas

Chris Davis of Texas didn't hang on to his bat and it went into the stands.

stretch
04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I didn't want to create a new topic, so I'm just posting there here. Be sure to post any bats that you see fly into the stands. You never know if they end up on the internet, which means that can possibly be photo matched, or just easily identified.

Adam Dunn switches from maple to ash bats:

"But I've switched from maple [bats] to ash. I don't have my ash 'feel' yet." Why switch? "Maple is too dangerous . . . I switched last June," Dunn said. "Those bats shatter. One of them is going to end up sticking out of somebody's neck. Maybe [a fan] in the stands. I'm not being that guy that did it."
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/hp/img/ad_label_leftjust.gif
if ( show_doubleclick_ad && ( adTemplate & INLINE_ARTICLE_AD ) == INLINE_ARTICLE_AD && inlineAdGraf ) { placeAd('ARTICLE',commercialNode,20,'inline=y;',tr ue) ; }
With those words, Dunn may be the first player in baseball who has rejected the lethal maple bats that are a tragedy waiting to happen. The whole sport knows it. It's being "studied."
"Using the ash probably does take away some homers, probably. If you don't quite get it, miss it a little, it doesn't go as far," said Dunn. "I'll take one, two, three less homers and not have my name on the barrel of the bat sticking in somebody. I saw a [shattered] bat go around an umpire's head last year.
"I'm not saying I'll never use maple. But you know which pitchers are known for [shattering bats]."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/06/AR2009040604004_2.html?sid=ST2009040604106

cordovacollector
04-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Broken bat flew into stands over Seattle duout last night for the Twins Opener. For the life of me now I can't think of whose it was. A Seattle player.

emann
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Intresting idea... I noticed one today.

Red Sox v. Rays

Matt Joyce broken bat at handle, barrel flew into stands.

cordovacollector
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Also catcher Mike Redmond took a nasty hit in the neck last night from a broken bat.

DrJ
04-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Lance Berkman - whole bat went flying over the 1st base dugout tonight vs the Cubs. I did not see if the fan got to keep it or not.

Fnazxc0114
04-07-2009, 09:51 PM
chris davis threw one in the stands opening day. went about 20 rows above the dugout. he let the guy keep it.

Jags Fan Dan
04-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Micah Owings of the Reds last night in Milawaukee in the 3rd inning let one fly. I believe the fan who ended up with it got to keep it.

Rob L
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
March 28th - Spring Training, Tempe Diablo Stadium (Mariners vs. Angels). Torii Hunter let one go that flew behind the home dugout and hit a lady in the head. She was taken out with the bat.

xpress34
04-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I believe it was Opening Day at AZ - for sure the Opening Series - Helton lost a bat way up into the stands down the 1st base line. I don't think he got it back.

In all my years watching the Rox and Helton, that was the 1st time I can ever remember him losing a bat - even the announcers were talking about how they couldn't remember Helton losing a bat before...

- Chris

Jags Fan Dan
04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Micah Owings put another one in the stands today in the third inning in Cincinnati. Intertestingly, the bat hit the edge of the wall and broke in two. I saw someone with the handle. Did not see if anyone got the barrel.

cjclong
04-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Josh Hamilton threw his bat in the stands in the game against Kansas City last Sunday a week ago. It went from around section 30 near home plate to section 36 way past the dugout and first base landing in the 3rd row. Its the farthest I've ever seen a bat thrown. The young man who caught it was allowed to keep it. It was a black old hickory. He is one person who without any question whatsoever can say he has a game used bat.