PDA

View Full Version : How much to ship to Italy?

suave1477
04-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey Guys,

Someone has asked me if I could ship them an item to Italy and what would I charge them.

I have never shipped to Italy before, just wanted to see if anyone else has or if someone can tell me what the cost should translate too?
Also what the process is?

I did ship once a long time ago to Canada, so I am not sure if it is the same. But since it was so long ago I barely remember what I even did then.

The item is fairly light. I am in New York and to pretty much ship it anywhere here in the U.S. would cost me roughly about $4.00.

Should I charge double to ship to Italy? Should I charge for Insurance? Isn't there something where I have to mark value for an item when sending International?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you.

stretch
04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
At the most $20, but I doubt it's even that high, and you probably won't be able to insure it. Make sure the buyers understands that your willing to scan and email them the receipt that you mailed it, but that your not responsible if it doesn't make it to him/her. Unless, your willing to refund them.

I've only good experiences shipping outside the United States.

gnishiyama
04-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Suave,
I ship no less than 30 packages a week to Japan. USPS is by the far
the most economical when it comes to international shipping. For any item
over $150 I use Express Mail service which has a tracking number and
quite costly however, much less than UPS or FedEx.

Here is a pricing chart for Italy.
http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/il_008.htm#ep1391182
This should help.
Also please note that if the buyer pays via paypal more than likely
he/she has an unconfirmed address so Paypal will only protect you
if you use Express Mail with tracking or Registered Mail.

Hope this helps.
Goh Nishiyama

BULBUS
04-06-2009, 02:13 PM
You just have to fill out a customs form at the Post Office. You can calculate postage online:

http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mode=Intl_Single&CID=10212

trsent
04-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Here is a simple page to calculate shipping to any country via US Mail. It is too expensive to use any service other than US Mail. Under four pounds can be shipping at the Post Office via First Class Mail International, but there is no tracking or insurance available for this service.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

New rules are that over four pounds must be shipped via US Priority or Express Mail international. This service usually includes some insurance, around $75 - $80 based on the country. If you need more insurance, it is cheaper for Express Mail then Priority Mail to add insurance.

I also recommend printing your postage at home as it is cheaper than doing so at The Post Office. You will need a plastic clear see-through post office documents envelope to ship the box.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13356&productId=11683&langId=-1&WT.ac=11683

suave1477
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone

Goh also thank you for the chart. I was looking it over and I am a bit confused as there is quite a few charts to go through.

To my understanding and please let me know if I am understanding this correctly?
The cheapest I could send would be for a 1 lb at $1.40

If that is correct? Is that a $1.40 on top of regular shipping cost or is it a $1.40 all together?

trsent
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
You just have to fill out a customs form at the Post Office. You can calculate postage online:

http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mode=Intl_Single&CID=10212

Just to reiterate: It is much cheaper to print your postage at home and print your customs online. It is neat, clean, and it is so simple there is no reason to pay them more at the post office.

It also prints your customs online which is easier than writing all that junk.

suave1477
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Ok according to the usps calculator it comes out to be $10.30

Am I understanding that correctly? If that is the correct amount should I be expecting other charges once I get to the Post Office? Or does that include everything?

Thank you all for your help

trsent
04-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Ok according to the usps calculator it comes out to be $10.30

Am I understanding that correctly? If that is the correct amount should I be expecting other charges once I get to the Post Office? Or does that include everything?

Thank you all for your help

Yes, it should be $10.30 for a one pound box for First Class Mail International. You will have to fill out the small customer forum which takes just a minute. If it is small you can use these new Small Flat-Rate Boxes which includes tracking (I am not sure about insurance) for $12.30 online and they print the whole label for you.

These boxes are about the size of a VHS video tape.

David
04-06-2009, 02:45 PM
It isn't that much more to ship to Europe than to the US, unless it's a big package. In my experience, European buyers are as reliable buyers and sellers as American.

quiggle28
04-06-2009, 06:53 PM
did the buyer ask you to label the package only as "gift" or they will get taxed and nag you to reimburse them.

trsent
04-06-2009, 07:53 PM
did the buyer ask you to label the package only as "gift" or they will get taxed and nag you to reimburse them.

I always felt it is the buyers responsibility to know about their own country's export and import policies - How could the shipper be responsible?

They want you to lie and say the item is a gift and then declare the value less than the item is worth so if it gets lost you cannot declare proper value for insurance?

Sounds risky for the shipper to me.

suave1477
04-06-2009, 10:37 PM

Actually he did not ask, that was one of my concerns when it comes to shipping the item.

uhgrad2002
04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
You might want to research how much trouble people have had with shipments going through the Italian postal system. I had a purchase from there get to the Rome post office and disappear. Sender provided a tracking number but no further assistance. PayPal would not follow through with its buyer's protection because the sender had proof of shipment (though they took weeks to come to that conclusion). Only after the purchase did I research problems reported with the Italian postal system and there were a lot of them. Stuff disappears.

Best of luck on it -- Mark

quiggle28
04-07-2009, 10:37 AM
I sent mine with a tracking number using USPS and the furthest update they gave was that the item was being processed in their postal facilities. The purchaser e-mailed me to let me know he received it, which I was happy about, but also that he wanted me to reimburse him 100$ USD in tax fees that incurred because I did not write "gift" but instead "jersey".

LEGEND33
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Hello from Italy,
i received tons of items from USA (jersey - shoes - basketball......)
I usually ask for USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL (25-35 USD).
Item with amount declared over 35-40 usd are submitted to italian customer fees (very high - about 40% of tot amount).
This fees are obviously to pay by the buyer (never asked for a remboursement).
I ask the seller to declare only 20 usd (always at my own risk)
Only if item is very expansive i ask for DHL - UPS - FEDEX.
Usually itens arrives safe from USA to Italy.
The problem is the Italian Mail Service !!!! very bad !

Alberto
excuse me for my poor english...

suave1477
04-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Alberto was that you who emailed me about shipping an item to Italy?

joelsabi
04-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Hello from Italy,
Item with amount declared over 35-40 usd are submitted to italian customer fees (very high - about 40% of tot amount).

Alberto

thanks for the post alberto. it is much appreciate by the forum. how is the recovery for the quake for you? hope all is well.

LEGEND33
04-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Suave 1477 which is the item ? Usually i send about 15 msg a week asking about shipp. to Italy.

Joelsabi, i live in the northern-east part of Italy (2 hour from Venice).
I was 18 years old when a bigger quake destroyed my area....
thanks for your kindly words !!!

p.s.
If a member planned to visit Italy for holidays (Venice area) let me know, i am happy to give assistance

suave1477
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Suave 1477 which is the item ? Usually i send about 15 msg a week asking about shipp. to Italy.

Regarding the New Era Yankees cap.

Also my condolances to you about the quake

LEGEND33
04-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Not me Suave 1477.
About the quake, thanks very very much !!!

suave1477
04-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok no problem, just thought it was a coincidence that the gentleman who contacted me said he was from Italy and his name is Alberto.:p

I7coder
11-06-2009, 02:36 AM
if you want cheaper shipping to any country outside US, then viaddress is preferable. their service is really good. i have been using then since many years. its below $10 to any country.

Parisian Yankee
11-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Hi, I have been visiting this website for quite a while to get some facts and information.. extremely useful information, and thought I would chip in here.

I live in France, and sometimes purchase bats. I regularly pay just under 40 bucks or so for priority mail shipping, registered. Actual postage costs around $33-36. I have ordered a few items and have had them shipped by regular mail, unregistered, only to have them "disappear" in the system. I guess I didn't know that Parisian postmen loved baseball that much...

Parisian Yankee
11-06-2009, 05:25 AM
Hello from Italy,

Alberto

Hi Alberto,

I also sometimes use a service called myus. It provides you with an address in the US you can have items shipped to and then they consolidate and fedex it to you. I am not affiliated with them, it's just that it is really helpful for sellers who are reluctant to ship overseas.

LEGEND33
11-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info !

Alberto