PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds vs IRS vs Shut Yo Mouth

sammy
04-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Did Barry sell this uniform for 20k and not report the income to the IRS?

Did Barry and his agent just open a can of whoop ass on themselves?

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/site/bidplace.aspx?itemid=4646 (http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/site/bidplace.aspx?itemid=4646)

Subj: Lot #1071 Bonds Uniform Auction Description Ammendment
Date: 4/27/2006 1:52:08 AM Central Daylight Time
From: info@robertedwardauctions.com (info@robertedwardauctions.com)
Please Note The Following Important Auction Description Addendum Regarding Authenticity of Barry Bonds Uniform Ensemble Lot #1071:

Robert Edward Auctions has had the following email communications with Barry Bonds’ agent regarding Lot #1071 (see below). In light of these very recent communications (in addition to one phone call), and at the request of our consignor, rather than withdrawing the uniform from the auction we have decided that it would be reasonable to make all bidders aware of the claims of Barry Bonds and his agent, though at this time we are not certain whether these claims are accurate, or possibly in error. Robert Edward Auctions is selling this lot, which has been thoroughly reviewed by our authenticators, as is. If new information provided by Barry Bonds or his agent (or any other party) should make the winning bidder uncomfortable in purchasing the Barry Bonds uniform represented by Lot #1071, Robert Edward Auctions will grant the winning bidder the right to not purchase the lot if we are informed in writing within thirty days of the close of the auction. Robert Edward Auctions pays all consignors within thirty days, and so we will allow this option to remain open on this lot for thirty days following the closing date of the auction. We have requested any and all documentation in support of the claims of Barry Bonds and his agent for review. If this information is received before auction closing day, it will be posted online and communicated to all bidders. If this information is received after auction closing day, it will be posted online and forwarded to the winning bidder. Robert Edward Auctions cannot personally state with certainty whether Barry Bonds did or did not wear this uniform in games. We also wish to make clear that we are in no way are questioning Mr. Bonds’ sincerity or credibility, but at the same time we are certain that this is a Barry Bonds uniform which, at the very least, is identical to those that he did wear during the 2001 season. It is our opinion that whether Barry Bonds did or did not wear this uniform in games, many collectors will consider this uniform to be extremely significant, historic, and valuable. Some collectors might even consider this uniform to have greater symbolism and significance to the career of one of baseball’s greatest and most controversial players. We want all bidders to be able to weigh and take into consideration all available information, including any uncertainty presented by Barry Bonds’ assertions, in bidding on this uniform. We appreciate your understanding of this unusual situation and our desire to amend the catalog description for this lot.

Sincerely,
Robert Edward Auctions, LLC
www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com (http://www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com)

The following are the recent communications:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:47 AM
To: info@robertedwardauctions.com (info@robertedwardauctions.com)

Subject: Fake Bonds Uniform in your Auction

I am Barry Bonds agent, and this entire uniform is counterfeit (lot 1071).
I have this confirmation not only from Barry himself, but I have also seen the real items still in his possession in storage.
A fan brought this to our attention through IsItReal @BarryBonds.com, and we thought you’d like to know. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss the origins of these items with the consignor and yourself. We look forward to hearing from you

Jeff (JB) Bernstein
Pro Access, Inc.
Official Marketing Agency for Barry Bonds & KBI
www.BarryBonds.com (http://www.BarryBonds.com)
www.ProAccessInc.com (http://www.ProAccessInc.com)

From: Robert Lifson [mailto:info@robertedwardauctions.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:15 AM
To: 'jb@barrybonds.com'

Subject: FW: Fake Bonds Uniform in your Auction

Dear Mr. Bernstein,

This is certainly a very interesting communication.

It is my understanding that this uniform is 100% authentic, and that this was sold by Barry Bonds himself, and that Barry Bonds was paid for it in cash.

In light of your communication, I will do all that I can to get to the bottom of this. First I will forward this communication to MEARS, who did the authentication of this uniform for Robert Edward Auctions. Is there any possibility that Mr. Bonds is mistaken? Is it possible that he is in error? I am sure that Mr. Bonds has many items including uniforms from his career, but if he is claiming that he has them all and never sold one from this season, then clearly this is a criminal matter which I guarantee to you will be pursued. Please check with Barry on this, and in the meantime I will do some checking on my end. I would appreciate your getting back to me as soon as possible after checking with Barry, as our auction is scheduled to close on April 29, 2006, and therefore it is necessary for us to address this immediately. I assume that you personally are not a uniform expert, and I know that you personally have not examined this jersey, so I am curious as to exactly how you can determine that this uniform is a "fake" and a "counterfeit." It is possible that your feedback on this might be very helpful in helping us to determine how to address this situation. I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Robert Lifson
President

[Phone call by Mr. Bernstein to Robert Edward Auctions]

From: info@robertedwardauctions.com (info@robertedwardauctions.com)
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:51 AM
To: 'jb@barrybonds.com'

Subject: FW: Fake Bonds Uniform in your Auction

Dear Mr. Bernstein,

I appreciate that you have told us that you are going to try to provide more information regarding the Bonds uniform we have up for auction, but am naturally concerned that you have indicated it might not be possible to do so until after the close of the auction. We have traced the sale of the uniform in 2001 directly to Mr. Steve Hoskins, who as I understand was at that time working directly with Barry Bonds selling various baseball memorabilia. In our conversation on the telephone, you told me that Barry Bonds claims that he wore only six uniforms in 2001, that he still has these uniforms (actually five of them, one is in the possession of his father), and that you believe that Mr. Hoskins was somehow sent "two or three" uniforms directly from the manufacturer that Barry Bonds denies wearing, and that Mr. Bonds also denies that it is his signature on the uniform items in this lot. Could you please verify the above in writing so that we can have documented what I believe you have told me on the telephone, so that we may have the information in writing which can allow us to properly address this unusual situation. As you know, our consignor paid $20,000 for this uniform, so he is naturally concerned, as is Robert Edward Auctions. This is unchartered territory for us, and we want to proceed in the most intelligent and responsible manner possible.

Sincerely,
Robert Lifson

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:51 AM
To: 'Robert Lifson'
Subject: RE: Fake Bonds Uniform in your Auction

Everything you outlined in your email is indeed true, except that we believe the number to be higher than 2 or 3...
Let me talk to BB today after the game, and see how he wants to proceed.

Jeff (JB) Bernstein
Pro Access, Inc.
Official Marketing Agency for Barry Bonds & KBI
www.BarryBonds.com (http://www.BarryBonds.com)
www.ProAccessInc.com (http://www.ProAccessInc.com)

We have had no further communication, and with the close of the auction just three days away, we believe it is important that we communicate with bidders about the issues detailed above as soon as possible regarding this lot, so that interested bidders will have the opportunity to give this information proper consideration.
Also, please note that Lot 1190, The 1995 Augusta National Golf Club Masters Jacket, has been withdrawn from the auction due to concerns relating to legal title which have come to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

eGameUsed
04-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Has anyone ever noticed that the Bonds Authenticated tags are mispelled? Notice they are speclled "Authenicated." I guess there was no spell check at the printer? I have owned two Bonds jerseys with LOAs, one being a HR jersey and both were mispelled. I have also been offered one correctly spelled tag jersey from an individual in Japan for $1000. I refused that deal!

Thanks,

Eric
04-27-2006, 10:41 AM
FYI- For those tho don't know, Bonds has a company which polices the memorabilia industry, calling out fakes.

Here's the description from Barry's website

2. Clean Up The Market
IPAWS - A Company that Barry and his marketing agency co-founded to police the major memorabilia internet sites and to remove fraudulent and forged merchandise prior to its sale. All sites like E-Bay, Yahoo Auctions, Overstock.com, ect. are reviewed by a hand writing expert that specializes in Barry's signature. All the items that they believe to be fake are then forwarded to Barry for his review. To date, we have delisted 1000's of forged products that would have been sold to unknowing consumers. Many of these products claim to have COA's, holograms, which makes it very confusing to the average fan trying to but a signed photo.
IsItReal@BarryBonds.com (IsItReal@BarryBonds.com) - Barry Bonds is the only athlete who offers this service for free to any fans or collectors thinking about buying or selling an alleged Bonds' signed item.
Simply submit an email to IsItReal@BarryBonds.com (IsItReal@BarryBonds.com) with the following info attached and Mr. Bonds and his signature service will review for authenticity. Make sure to include a picture of the signature, COA, purchase info and date, and allow 5 business days for a response.

http://barrybonds.mlb.com/players/bonds_barry/store/sigandholo.html

stlbats
04-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Barry absolutely can not stand the thought of ANYONE making any money off of him. Who knows what to believe about this. I dont personally believe anything that Barry Bonds has to say about anything. Who is dumb enough to put out a show showing himself being rude to and making fun of his fans that want his autograph.

Jason