PDA

View Full Version : Historic Auctions has launched.......

Bernie J. Gernay
11-19-2005, 02:25 PM
www.HistoricAuctions.com (http://www.HistoricAuctions.com)

Regards, Bernie

Bernie J. Gernay
877-580-6673
Football Authenticator - Global Authenticated Inc.

"Whoever denies Me before men, I will deny him before my Father in Heaven" -Matthew 10:33

sandman87
11-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Is ASI and Historic Auctions the same company. It just seems as if every item they are auctioning comes with a ASI COA. There are 2 items in their auction that caught my eye. First the Jon Papelbon Game Used Glove. It states in their auction that this is the only game used glove Jonathan used the entire 2004 season. This is a false statement because I have a different Jon Papelbon game used glove that he used while playing with Sarasota during the 2004 season. I also have pictures of him using the glove and also pics of him signing the glove "game used 2004".
The second item that caught my eye was the David Wright game used Norfolk Tides Jersey. I acquired this jersey myself from the Tides and it came with a Letter from the Norfolk Tides stating it's authenticity. I sold it on Ebay back in August to the Gulf Bay Trading Company in Seminole Florida. I can't figure out how ASI ended up with the Jersey or why they don't advertise that the Jersey comes with a letter from the Tides. The closing price when I sold it is only $30 less than the opening bid in Historic Auctions. Is ASI the same as Historic Auctions and Gulf Bay Trading Company? I have been contacted before by ASI offering me prices on ebay auctions for game used items I have sold. This also seems strange for a company that states they "obtain 99% of their items directly from the players themselves." Just seems odd.
Thanks
Scott

Frank
11-20-2005, 12:03 AM
If I buy an item from Steiner and then resell it to someone else, does that make me the same as Steiner? :rolleyes: Obviously not. Just because items get sold around doesn't mean anything.

As long as the items are authentic, and they seem to be, I'm going to be bidding on them. Most of the items are authenticated by Spence anyway....

obeyone10
11-20-2005, 12:10 AM
All of the items seem to be from ASI. The Papelbon glove was not the only glove he used last (2004) season Scott. I don't know where they come up with half of this stuff. The Granderson bat is actually a Chip Ambres bat. Nixon bat I sold them brand new. They obtain many of their items from alternate sources such as card companies and dealers. Email me for follow up.
Bryan O
obeyone10@aol.com

nate
11-20-2005, 12:37 AM
I posted the same curious question the other day.

Is there a connection between Historic Auctions ASI, and ebay id gulftobaytrading ?

The email I received was from gulftobaytrading.com which connects Historic Auctions and gulftobaytrading (ebay id). The location (St. Pete) might be the reason for so many ASI items. Anybody know?

Nate

Eric
11-20-2005, 01:03 PM
From the old board

Anyone know about "Historic Auctions?"
October 31 2005 at 2:30 PM Eric (Premier Login ecky3)
Forum Owner
I noticed in the SCD auction calendar something called "Historic Auctions"

They had an ad in SCD but it was attributed in the advertiser index as "Authentic Sports Inc."

Does anyone know, is ASI entering the auction house game?

On their web site http://www.historicauctions.com it mentions every item is authenticated by ASI and/or mears.

Thanks
Eric

allstarsplus
11-20-2005, 06:06 PM
They have a lot of nice items on there that we will be bidding on.

timmybaseball05
11-23-2005, 02:45 PM
i live in illinois and have been buying ASI products for over 2 years now. i mostly focus on chicago baseball, but have occasionally puchased other items when deals were too good to pass up. anyways, i have personally never had a problem with authenticity and plan to bid on several of these items from historicauctions. i think it would be best to contact ASI directly if questioning that these items do in fact have an ASI COA. if they do, they should be to the same high standard as past items. it has always been nice to know that these guys not only get things straight from the players, but often have photos and letters proving that! in 2 years i have only been questioned about ASI authenticity a couple times and both times i was immediately sent several photos of the signing and letters from the players themselves. amazing!

as for being the same company, i inquired about that with ASI. they are not. ASI has consigned many items for the auction to help get the overall inventory up and has also authenticated some baseball items already in the auction. personally, i am happy to see an auction house using a reputable authenticating service. probably a great decision for them to increase their initial acceptance in the game.

Tim in Chi-town

searsious
11-23-2005, 02:54 PM
what up,

i don't know if these are the same companies or not, but regardless, this auction will be awesome.

obeyone, please continue to talk so i can get these jerseys without competition. maybe you'll scare away other bidders and we can keep these deals to ourselves!!!

PS - did you guys see that walter peyton jersey!!! sick!!!!!

hof89
11-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Received the SCD with the Historic Auction catalouge and noitced a Ben Roethlisberger gamer...went to check on-line the other day and no Roethlisberger jersey???? Anyone know why? I emailed Historic and no response...typical auction house...poor professionalism! Moreover, the jersey was autogrpahed on the back #7 and I thought it bore a striking resemblance to a PSA/DNA NFL Auction jersey, but that's just my opinion....

ChrisCavalier
11-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Just a reminder, please do not use any profanities on this website. Foul language will not be tolerated.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe

BarryMeisel
11-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Hi everybody,

I want to preface this by saying I have not seen the Felix Potvin Toronto Maple Leafs jersey up close, nor has Heritage Auctions asked MeiGray to authenticate it.

But I would hesitate to bid on this blue Potvin jersey based on two obvious problems I see that need to be researched more exhaustively:

1) In 1991-92, every NHL game-worn jersey was supposed to be worn with an NHL shield next to a larger CCM logo on the right back hip. The small CCM logo and absence of shield dates this jersey to the late 1980s, perhaps 1989-90 ... but no later.

2) In 1991-92, every NHL game-worn jersey was supposed to be worn on ice with an NHL 75th anniversary patch on the front of the jersey.

This jersey up for auction has neither.

Now this jersey is described in the auction has being Potvin's first professional gamer. In that case, photos or video should be available to see if Potvin wore this jersey with two obvious discrepancies.

Without specific indications on a letter of authenticity that these two obvious oversights are explainable, or visible in a photo or video of Potvin in his first NHL games, I would not bid on this jersey.

Now there are other possibilities. The description states that the jersey came directly from the Toronto Maple Leafs (is there a team letter or receipt to back this claim?) It is possible this is a recycled jersey used by Potvin in an NHL pre-season. This is not an unusual occurence, but needs to be researched, as well.

And that fact would refute the claim that this is his first professional jersey, a claim that should not be made without hard facts.

This is only a small example of why MeiGray, and MeiGray Vintage has ventured to upgrade the level of authentication in the sports-collecting hobby.

No credible authenticator should allow these obvious "problems" or "questions" to go unanswered. Allowing an item like this to go into an auction without answering those questions is irresponsible.

And if those questions have been answered, why are they not in the jersey description?

If the authenticator did not answer those questions, or explain those problems, that jersey has not received a thorough authentication. And if the authenticator is not aware of the NHL shield and NHL 75th patch issues from 1991-92 to raise the question, the authenticator lacks the expertise to authenticate NHL jerseys, because this is an elementary fact of NHL jerseys.

Respectfully,

Barry Meisel

encinorick
11-27-2005, 04:14 PM
I had a similiar problem with my inquiries regarding the Jerry West GU Jersey in the auction. I asked for the tagging and was told that there wasn't any on the jersey. Everyone knows that the 1960-70's Laker's jersey were made by Tiernan from Glendale California and that the tags are on the front. Asked twice for verification, they took my number but never called backed.:mad:

ChrisCavalier
12-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Is ASI and Historic Auctions the same company.

Hello Everyone-

Given the questions on the forum regarding the relationship between ASI and Historic Auctions, we have been contacted and been asked to post the following:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS BEING POSTED ON BEHALF OF THOSE INVOLVED WITH ASI AND/OR HISTORIC AUCTIONS AND IS NOT COMING FROM THE FORUM OWNERS:

"ASI AS YOU KNOW STANDS FOR AUTHENTIC SPORTS INC. ASI HAS A CLIENTAL BASE IN BASEBALL AND FOOTBALL AMOUNTING TO OVER 50 CLIENTS. ASI SPECIALIZES IN GAME USED AND SIGNED MEMORABILIA DIRECTLY FROM ITS ATHLETES. ALONG WITH THIS ASI HAS RECENTLY ADDED TWO OTHER UNIQUE SERVICES. THE TWO OF THEM BEING AUTHENTIC SPORTS MARKETING AND ASI AUTHENTICATION. THE MARKETING ASPECT LETS US DO MORE FOR OUR PLAYERS INCLUDING ENDORSEMENT AND ADVERTISING DEALS. OUR AUTHENTICATION PROGRAM ALLOWS US TO TAKE IN ITEMS FROM OUR COLLECTING CLIENTS AND MAKE SURE THERE COLLECTION IS COMPLETELY AUTHENTIC EVEN IF A PARTICULAR ITEM DID NOT ORIGINALLY COME DIRECTLY FROM US.

AS FOR HISTORIC AUCTIONS, A COMPLETELY SEPARATE ENTITY. HISTORIC AUCTIONS IS RUN BY JAMES BROWN AND IS OWNED BY SEVERAL ATHLETES AND INVESTORS. ASI DID PARTICIPATE WITH THE AUTHENTICATION OF THE GAME USED BASEBALL (WHICH IS NOTABLY THEIR EXPERTISE), AS WELL AS CONSIGNED A FEW ITEMS. THAT IS THE ONLY AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER."

If you have any further questions, please feel free to direct them to the people at ASI and/or Historic Auctions.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier

trsent
12-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I was just wondering, was there an internet in 1969?

Joel

ChrisCavalier
12-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Hello Joel-

Based on the following information, I think you can argue the internet, at least in a conceptual manner, did exist in 1969:

http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/brief.shtml#Origins

As to whether or not we joined in 1969...well, while I'd like to say we were part of that initial movement, I think most of us were a bit too young to be in at that stage. Instead, we will have to relegate ourselves to being part of a movement that we believe will revolutionize game-used collecting.

Said another way, I will check to see why the system is showing some of us with a "Join Date: Dec 1969". Until I find out the reason, please just consider us as "Old Timers".

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe