PDA

View Full Version : O/t - Orton / Cutler Thoughts?

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Its a sad day in Chicago for Kyle Orton Fans. I think that Cutler was a good pick-up for us, but why throw Kyle under the bus after all he's done for Chicago. I am very disgruntled!

I'd like to hear what some of the other football guys think about this trade.

GarkoCollector
04-03-2009, 06:11 AM
I'd like to congratulate my San Diego Chargers on winning the 2009 AFC West Title.

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 06:25 AM
I'd like to congratulate my San Diego Chargers on winning the 2009 AFC West Title.

Well, in that case then I would like to congratulate our 2009 Chicago Bears for their 16-0 season and the Super Bowl XLIV title.:eek:

GarkoCollector
04-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Now Chicago is finally going to be a competitor in their division.

SD has no competition now. Cutler was keeping Denver afloat.

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 06:42 AM
We are ALWAYS competitors! With or without Orton, we were competitors! Our division is a joke. Although the addition of Cutler will help to rebuild an already beatdown offense, I do not think he is the answer.

With a horrible front line, limited receiver talent, and Forte still being 'raw', Cutler's numbers will soon match those of every other quarterback we have had in the past decade. He cannot make the Pro Bowl playing the duration of his season off his back. I wish him all the best of luck.

jhunt28
04-03-2009, 07:01 AM
We are ALWAYS competitors! With or without Orton, we were competitors! Our division is a joke. Although the addition of Cutler will help to rebuild an already beatdown offense, I do not think he is the answer.

With a horrible front line, limited receiver talent, and Forte still being 'raw', Cutler's numbers will soon match those of every other quarterback we have had in the past decade. He cannot make the Pro Bowl playing the duration of his season off his back. I wish him all the best of luck.

I can't figure out if you're a Bears fan or not?? If I were a Bears fan (Jets fan here, and disappointed), I'd be doing cartwheels!! The Bears gave up nothing. Orton was not taking that team anywhere, and it was obvious. I would say it's not unlike the Pennington situation in New York, but Penny was much more successful than Orton ever was. To give up a first round pick this year and next, and to swap 3rd round picks is a home run for the Bears. You are picking up a proven QB with a gun, who will cut through that cold Solider Field air when the winter rolls around (in October!). I would much rather have Cutler, than an unproven commodity like Sanchez or Stafford. And the Bears, who are notorious for being very quite in the free agent market, just picked up Orlando Pace to protect Cutler. I think with the Bears stiffling defense, and very good special teams...this is a great move and they are obviously favorites in the NFC North, but now this makes them one of the teams to beat in the NFC overall.

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 07:14 AM
I am a DIE-HARD Bears fan. I always have been. I agree that Cutler was a great pick up. His success here has yet to be seen, but for us that follow the Bears every Sunday, we know how 'good' our offense really is.....it sucks! The addition of a QB and one lineman is not going to fix the problems. It goes above and beyond positions on the field.

As far as Kyle goes, I feel for him as a person. We have worked with him numerous times and he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. His heart was always here in Chicago and good/bad/indifferent he played his ass off for us day in and day out. He was very excited about this upcoming season, and proving himself as a Chicago Bears LEADER. I know he had no say in the trade that went down yesterday, and if he did this would have never happen. He would have stayed here.

jhunt28
04-03-2009, 07:23 AM
I'm sure Orton was a very nice guy, and I've heard that. That's why I threw the comparison to Pennington...Pennington was one of the most liked people in the Jets organization. One of greatest competitors in the NFL, and one of the toughest. He gave his heart and soul to the Jets, unfortunately it wasn't enough. People saw his limitations. Now the Bears do have a glaring issue at the WR position. But a player like Cutler will change the dynamic of your offense, and the routes your WR can run. People keep focusing on Cutler's losing record while in Denver, but why should it be Cutler's fault that Denver had one of the worst defenses in the NFL?? I don't think that's a knock on Cutler, the guy is a Pro-Bowl QB at age 25. I would be the first guy in line for my #6 Bears jersey, and be psyched you have this kid. From a Jets perpective, I'm glad that we can put this drama behind us, and focus on the draft and hopefully having Brett Ratliff be our starting QB. It will be all defense this year for the Jets, and a heavy running game. I'm looking forward to it. Good luck to you with Cutler, I'm sure you will be happy with the upgrade.

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 07:25 AM
.........I think with the Bears stiffling defense, and very good special teams...this is a great move and they are obviously favorites in the NFC North, but now this makes them one of the teams to beat in the NFC overall.........

I admire your optimism! "Stiffiling" is a creative word for a defense that has run it course years ago. Urlacher is just beat up. He has recorded decent numbers in 3 seasons. He only made the Pro Bowl in '05 & '06 based on popular vote. We lost Mike Brown. Our secondary is GOD AWFUL! They gave up the most passing yards in the NFL last year for single games. Tillman is now our top defender.

Special Teams, you want to talk about Special Teams.....one word Daniel Manning.....PERIOD. Hester went bust, the new rules enforced to the NFL shut down our entire special team formations for kickoff and punt returns.....the list can go on.

Yes, to answer your question - I AM A BEARS FAN:D

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm sure Orton was a very nice guy, and I've heard that. That's why I threw the comparison to Pennington...Pennington was one of the most liked people in the Jets organization. One of greatest competitors in the NFL, and one of the toughest. He gave his heart and soul to the Jets, unfortunately it wasn't enough. People saw his limitations. Now the Bears do have a glaring issue at the WR position. But a player like Cutler will change the dynamic of your offense, and the routes your WR can run. People keep focusing on Cutler's losing record while in Denver, but why should it be Cutler's fault that Denver had one of the worst defenses in the NFL?? I don't think that's a knock on Cutler, the guy is a Pro-Bowl QB at age 25. I would be the first guy in line for my #6 Bears jersey, and be psyched you have this kid. From a Jets perpective, I'm glad that we can put this drama behind us, and focus on the draft and hopefully having Brett Ratliff be our starting QB. It will be all defense this year for the Jets, and a heavy running game. I'm looking forward to it. Good luck to you with Cutler, I'm sure you will be happy with the upgrade.

JHUNT, you are a good man!

nyjetsfan14
04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
QB's don't win games in freezing/windy Soldier Field in Dec and Jan...defense does and the Bears defense has run its course. Cutler definitely makes them more exciting (which the Bears desperately needed) but, even though that division has been the worst in FB the last couple years, I see the Pack and Vikes getting better with improving defenses and better skill position players. Tough to put skill position players around Cutler when you don't have a first round draft pick the next couple years. Of course all this is just conjecture and opinion on my part and the teams will decide on the field, it's just fun talking football in April ;) Good luck to your Bears and as always...

GO JETS!

Jake51
04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
From a jersey standpoint, I need to clear space in storage for my 2007 Cutler jersey! TrippleXXX, maybe we should swap, but like the BRONCS! I'll need some draft picks in addition to the Orton jersey! :D

From a football standpoint, here's what I had to say about that:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12060315

Thanks,

Tom

Birdbats
04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm not a big football guy and don't have a clue about cap space and all the reasons behind NFL trades, so maybe someone can explain this to me.

Why did the Bears give up a starting QB, two first-round picks and a third-round pick for Cutler (QB rating 86.0) and a fifth-round pick...

...when the Chiefs got Matt Cassel (QB rating 89.4) and another player for a second-round pick?

Either the Chiefs stole Cassel or the Bears got raped by Denver. What am I missing? You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I'm a Rams fan.

sox83cubs84
04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Personally, I'm as happy as Stewie Griffin taking over the world.:D The Bears have had a history over the last decade of striking out on their #1 draft picks (can you say Curtis Enis? Cedrick Benson? Marc Colombo?), so that didn't bother me. The local ESPN affiliate has one show touting it as the best trade ever in Bears history. I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's nice to have a QB who can WIN games, not just manage them.

Dave M., Chicago area

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm not a big football guy and don't have a clue about cap space and all the reasons behind NFL trades, so maybe someone can explain this to me.

Why did the Bears give up a starting QB, two first-round picks and a third-round pick for Cutler (QB rating 86.0) and a fifth-round pick...

...when the Chiefs got Matt Cassel (QB rating 89.4) and another player for a second-round pick?

Either the Chiefs stole Cassel or the Bears got raped by Denver. What am I missing? You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I'm a Rams fan.

1 word........McCaskey!

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, our local sports talk radio dubbed today (April 3rd) as 'Jay Cutler Day'. BARF!!!:mad: