PDA

View Full Version : Ken Dorsey Game Used Miami Jersey

DoctorLoomis
04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=20729

Im sure no one really cares....but the offered jersey was not game used in my opinion. It was simply Dorsey's back-up. It is the real deal....just not game used. Look closely at the Rose Bowl patch.........I extended two lines from each "T" in the word "AT&T". Compare the placement of the patch in the auction shirt.....end of story.

TriplexXxSports
04-01-2009, 08:17 PM
:confused: - I don't see it. They look the same to me.

DoctorLoomis
04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
My friend...you arent very good at geometry are you? If the placement of those patches look the same to you....well then I dont know what else to say.

DoctorLoomis
04-01-2009, 08:29 PM
The lines are EXTENSIONS of the "T's".....I used your own photo below. Now do you see it????

Capital-Sports
04-02-2009, 03:08 AM
The Rose Bowl patch def looks way off

TriplexXxSports
04-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Loomis.....not trying to knock your find by any means, but don't you think that the patch may differ in geometrics b/c of the shoulder pads putting some stretch on the jersey?

helmets
04-02-2009, 08:01 AM
XXX
You are correct. There is a factor when it comes to the pads and how they stretch the jerseys compared to when laying flat.

nyjetsfan14
04-02-2009, 08:36 AM
My friend...you arent very good at geometry are you? If the placement of those patches look the same to you....well then I dont know what else to say.

While many of your threads have been insightful maybe a little more modesty, humbleness, and respect is in order for future posts....

TriplexXxSports
04-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I think that the most important factor when looking at a patch is where it is placed in reference to the numbers, neckline, or other decisive factors of the jerseys. Not the way the letters in the patch line up in pictures shot a different angles. In this case, I still cannot see the difference.

Loomis, no pun intended. No harm, no foul:D

DoctorLoomis
04-02-2009, 10:17 AM
First of all I would like to apologize for any perceived sarcasm or rudeness. I would never intentionally try to be mean or hurtful. I hope my apology will be accepted.

On a second note, Helmets I must disagree with you. When the jersey is placed over pads it will distort the jersey to a point. Much like a balloon that is inflated. If you have a balloon with a logo or picture screened on it and then the balloon is blown up the logo or photo will change. However...it will NOT cause the logo to ROTATE on a circular axis. Using the photos of Dorsey from Getty, we can see the auction shirt's patch is rotated on a circular axis. I would say as much as 15...maybe 20 degrees of rotation....much like a clock. For this jersey to be the same, the fabric itself would have to rotate circularly when it was pulled over the pads. That simply did not and would not happen.

P.S....I also found out that the players were issued two jerseys for that game. The auction shirt was either his back up....or a regular season jersey with the patch applied at a later time.

TriplexXxSports
04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Here is a picture of Dorsey and his teammate. Same Game, Same patch

First, I want you to look at the difference in shoulder pads.

Now, look at the way the patch sits on each jersey with the pads.

His teammates pads are causing the jersey to stretch tight across the patch. Similar to the way the patch would look on a jersey if it were to be laid out flat.

Dorsey's pads are causing the jersey to wrinkle, hence the illusion that the patch lettering is different from that of his teammate.(my lines are a little off, but you get the point)

The fact is that you cannot base your findings on letter placement inside of a patch.

Loomis, I must say that I still disagree with your opinion on this jersy.:o

DoctorLoomis
04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
We will agree to disagree...but my hard earned money will not be spent on that shirt.

TriplexXxSports
04-02-2009, 11:49 AM
agreed

jobathenut
04-04-2009, 03:18 AM
i am a huge canes fan,so i do care about this jersey.And i would be willing to pay my hard earned money on it,especially if i could get it for the opening bid for it.But my question is,it looks to be pretty clean for a outdoor game on real grass,as this game was played.But then i dont think he got sacked in the game,as they kicked the huskers in the game.They wouldnt have washed it,would they?...I see grass stains on his white under jersey but can't see any on his jersey,and the one in the auction looks brand new.I 'll have to go find the game tape and see if he got sacked in the game.I know this thread was about the patch debate,and i can't really decide as you both make good arguements on it:)

TriplexXxSports
04-04-2009, 06:16 AM
i am a huge canes fan,so i do care about this jersey.And i would be willing to pay my hard earned money on it,especially if i could get it for the opening bid for it.But my question is,it looks to be pretty clean for a outdoor game on real grass,as this game was played.But then i dont think he got sacked in the game,as they kicked the huskers in the game.They wouldnt have washed it,would they?...I see grass stains on his white under jersey but can't see any on his jersey,and the one in the auction looks brand new.I 'll have to go find the game tape and see if he got sacked in the game.I know this thread was about the patch debate,and i can't really decide as you both make good arguements on it:)

I had made this exact comment in a private message. I browsed 3 different photo sites looking at this jersey and every pic that I found showed ALOT of grass and dirt stains, especially in the shoulders and back area. It is very possible that the jersey was washed, but the one on GFC looks 'exceptionally' clean, even for a game worn that was washed.

TriplexXxSports
04-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I have a very hard time believing that this show of use would come out in the laundry. There would have to be at least 'some' evidence of these stains, and I don't see it on the GFC Jersey.

beavisrules
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I am going to add my two cents about college bowl game worn jerseys. For the record, I have no opinion on the Dorsey jersey because I don't know much about Miami Hurricane college jerseys.

Alright, let's think about this for a moment. College players use ONE jersey for a bowl game. One. No switch of jerseys at halftime. So there is one true game worn Ken Dorsey jersey from that game in existence. Now, there may be a back-up available for a player like Dorsey (less likely does a back-up jersey exist for a non-star or back-up player - they don't need one); alternatively, they may have an extra regular season jersey that they can attach the bowl patch to on the fly in case his gamer got ripped apart. So for a player like Dorsey, there was probably one true gamer, and maybe one backup jersey in existance at that acutal game.

Now at many schools, the player gets to KEEP his real bowl jersey (I don't know what Miami does specifically). So the only way the real bowl game worn jersey gets into the secondary market is if the player himself pawns it or submits it for auction; alternatively, perhaps there is a jersey here or there the player mistakenly turns back in to the equipment manager after the game.

Now, let me give the example of Notre Dame game worn bowl jerseys. I know for a fact that all the players keep their own jersey. In the past almost decade, I have seen numerous Notre Dame "game worn" bowl jerseys show up at auction houses, ebay, or secondary seller websites.

My estimates:
-15% of them were legit, game worn Notre Dame jerseys from that bowl game (that's it)

-10% of them are jerseys that did not correspond to a player on the roster (example a #60 jersey with patch added but nobody was on the roster with that number for the game)

-20% of them are a valid jersey number, but the jersey characteristics did not correctly correlate with the player on the roster (example #12 jersey with the correct year and patch but the player did not wear a size 52)

-20% are the completely wrong styled jersey - examples are specially made jerseys for the one game, or sleeves should have been striped instead of solid, etc

-10% have the incorrect game patch

-25% have absolutely zero wear for a jersey of a player that played the entire game (especially OLine or DLine) and could not have avoided having at least some abrasions to the jersey

Bottom line - precede with EXTREME caution and detailed research with ANY college jersey reported to be an actual bowl game used jersey. In the past year alone, I have not seen any true game worn Notre Dame bowl jerseys despite many being listed in the secondary market.

jobathenut
04-05-2009, 02:27 AM
thanks xxx-you just convinced me not to buy this jersey.As you said,even if they washed,(and that would be stubid to do that,cause than its not game used then)i doubt those stains would come out as clean as the picture of the jersey is.patch lining up or not lining up,is one thing,but wheres the evidence this was worn in the game.Because you give the evidence it was'nt.And i for one,thank you.I went last night over my canes tapes and found the game and watched it and saw that his jersey got dirty and was coming back here to say something about it,and saw you beat me to it.And pointed it better than i ever could.You're the best:)

I have a very hard time believing that this show of use would come out in the laundry. There would have to be at least 'some' evidence of these stains, and I don't see it on the GFC Jersey.

TriplexXxSports
04-05-2009, 09:02 AM
thanks xxx-you just convinced me not to buy this jersey.....You're the best:)

I am glad I could help out. That's what this forum is for.