PDA

View Full Version : Restoration - What would you do?

dafivehole
04-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Just picked up an '86 Red Sox road jersey. Number has been changed to 21 but you can clearly see the outlines of other numbers. I knew this going into the transaction so my investment reflects it. You can see the outline of a 7 (Ed Romero) and a much lighter outline of 11 (Romero wore number 11 the next year). Then someone took the first 1 off and replaced it with a 2 (hence the present number 21). The size flag tag is missing and looks to have been gone for some time. The jersey shows quite a bit of use...

So I am asking myself, do I get the jersey restored to number 7 (probably worn the whole season and World Series by Romero, then the next spring, he had the number changed by the team to his regular number 11 just for spring training, hence the light outline for the 11)?!?

There is a story behind the 21 on the jersey, so I might as well tell you: the jersey was supposedly given to Steve Nelson (ex-Patriots player) by Roger Clemens. It was understood that Clemens wore this jersey. Nelson hung it on the wall of his sports bar (you can see where the staple holes are from where it was hung... I've seen this on other displayed jerseys too). Anyway, the bar closed and the contents were auctioned off... I HIGHLY doubt that Clemens ever wore this jersey but one thing I've learned is never say never!

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one?!? All input is welcomed...

Thanks,
Roger

NEFAN
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
With a story like that, I'd leave it as is. If the stories are true, them it was modified by the team "Officially". That being said, if you want to keep it as a display jersey with the 7 then go ahead.

b.heagy
04-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Lets see a few pics. Maybe a photo match is possible.......