PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Willis Jersey GFC

DoctorLoomis
04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=20781

This is the jersey that I am interested in adding to my collection. I decided to do some research on Getty. The 49ers wore three different jerseys last year. The style offered in the auction was worn 7 times in the regular season..and one time in the preseason. But....theres a problem. Patrick is a captain and in every single regular season game he should have the captains "C" on his jersey. The one game where he did NOT have the C was the last game in which this style jersey was worn....Dec 14th vs. the Dolphins. I am thinking that if this jersey was actually worn by Patrick it would HAVE to be in the Dolphins game due to lack of the captains patch. I will look closely at photos of that game and see if I can match it.

The photo below shows the captains patch clearly.......and also I included a photo from the Dolphins game....the only game missing the patch.

DoctorLoomis
04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Now I am troubled. I really want-wanted this Willis jersey. However what I have found out is worrying me. As I said before, Patrick could have worn this shirt a MAXIMUM of two games since it lacks the "C" captains patch. One game being preseason and the other against the Dolphins in mid December. I called GF today to ask for more photos of the jersey. I was told there was not any more wear to be seen above and beyond what it shown in the auction. Hmmmm. All thats shown are three team repairs....not hits, scrapes, or abrasions or gouges. I am NOT implying anything here...but sewn repairs are the easiest things to fake on a jersey. It looks really great as well but can be faked no problem. Most people never question repairs either...they see them as evidence of great use. Not so fast! Now....all this being said....either Willis wore this shirt in preseason or against the Dolphins....there are no other options. Preseason makes no sense for two reasons...first why would a jersey be repaired so thoroughly...multiple times....only to not be used for the upcoming regular season?? We know it was not used because of the missing patch. Secondly...and way more convincingly, I have included a photo of Patrick in the preseason game in question. Please look at the right shoulder area. It is demolished! Yet I was told theres no use to be seen. Hmmmmm All this tells me this shirt was NOT worn in the preseason...which means it could only have been worn Dec. 14th against Miami. Now you might be thinking it could have been worn multiple games and the patch removed for the Dolphin game??? Nope. Remember....I was told no use to be seen other than whats shown. Trust me...if Patrick wore this multiple times it would be beaten to hell and back. Look at the PRESEASON photo again! Now...if it was worn in an actual NFL game....and we can see the use Patrick put on a pre season jersey....can you imagine the amount of use that would be resultant from 4 full quarters of football??? Also....this shirt has been repaired THREE times! Are you telling me that in the course of enough football violence to create three tears/rips....there are no marks or scrapes to be seen? Wow. The bottom line is this........this shirt could only have been worn once. Period. Against Miami...period. I suppose I will have to believe that a jersey worn in ONE game....was torn three times....repaired....but yet no other evidence of violence ....the violence that caused the rips/tears...can be seen. Damn I really did want this shirt.

solarlottry
04-25-2009, 10:04 PM
i agree. it looks funny. the shirt should have the captains C but does not and i doubt that one games use would have 3 repairs and no other hits or dings. I guess one cannot trust GF. What a shame. The other 49ers shirts look dubious as well.

nyjetsfan14
04-26-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=20781

This is the jersey that I am interested in adding to my collection. I decided to do some research on Getty. The 49ers wore three different jerseys last year. The style offered in the auction was worn 7 times in the regular season..and one time in the preseason. But....theres a problem. Patrick is a captain and in every single regular season game he should have the captains "C" on his jersey. The one game where he did NOT have the C was the last game in which this style jersey was worn....Dec 14th vs. the Dolphins. I am thinking that if this jersey was actually worn by Patrick it would HAVE to be in the Dolphins game due to lack of the captains patch. I will look closely at photos of that game and see if I can match it.

The photo below shows the captains patch clearly.......and also I included a photo from the Dolphins game....the only game missing the patch.

Hello Loomis, I don't follow the Niners closely but do you have any idea why Willis didn't wear the Captains patch Dec 14 against Miami? Was he demoted as captian at the end of the season? I never heard of him having a problem with Singletary or the team. Maybe it was an equip mngr oversight? Just curious. Happy collecting!

DoctorLoomis
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I wish I knew that answer. I honestly did want this shirt but I am going to pass. Patrick is from my hometown and I see him from time to time. I think I am simply going to ask him to get/sell me a gamer of his.

josportsco
04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
JOSportsCo.com secured a jersey deal with Patrick Willis. Our first two sold out in 1 week. We are securing another jersey from him. If you want to contact office to reserve the one I suggest you contact our office.

jarrod@josportsco.com

solarlottry
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
i emailed GF about this shirt with my concerns and they removed it from the auction . I guess to many collectors notified them of the problems with this shirt. It is really concerning that there are so many questionable items in their auctions. A Steve Young shirt that only sells for less than 400 leads me to believe that it is also not authentic.