PDA

View Full Version : Justin Morneau Bat on Ebay

nomarmauerfan
04-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey Guys,
As some of you know, I am a big collector of Morneau GU bats. This one caught my attention.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Justin-Morneau-Game-Used-Bat-MinnesotaTwins-AL-MVP-06_W0QQitemZ270365234617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item270365234617&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1494%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
However, after doing some research, this does not match up to the seller's description. I have notified the seller of my concerns and he has not responded. I do not want to see someone from this site get burned (and I know there are some Morneau collectors on here). The seller uses my photobucket to "back up" his bat. He also posts a link to Morneau using a LVS similar to his. Unfortunately, there are no similarities. The seller's bat has a finish and a rounded barrel. The one that Justin used vs. Colorado was a unfinished LVS with a cupped barrel. The one in my photobucket shows this as do the photos that I have posted. Simply watching the video will allow you to spot the differences. After asking the seller some questions, he sent me some extra photos. One was of the knob. Morneau ALWAYS weighs his bats and writes the EXACT weight to one decimal place. The seller's bat simply says "32". It also does not match the handwriting on any Morneau bat I have ever seen. Below are a few examples. This bat is also very light by Morneau's standards. Be careful with this bat. At best, it may be a BP bat. Feel free to chime in with any opinions. Thanks.

Mike

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/mikandrea/morneau23.jpg

Seller's Bat Knob
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/mikandrea/morneaulvsknob.jpg

Justin's Spring Training Bat and a Nice Example
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/mikandrea/springtraining20091107.jpg

suave1477
04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Just to add some info to this.

When I met Mourneau this season during Spring Training. I was paying very close attention to the bat he was using 9more for my own personal curiosity). It was a 2 tone BWP bat. Showed very heavy use on it.

Suave1477:I asked him as a joke, can I have your bat?
Mourneaus resposne: In a very nice manner, nooooo this is my favorite bat. Besides I don't have any other bats and what would I use in the game?
Suave1477: I will trade you, I will run to Modells (a sporting good store) and get you a retail bat.
Mourneau: He chuckles and says, naw that wood isn't as good as mine.
Suave1477: I said Oh yeah I'll get you a Derek Jeter model.
Mourneau: He laughed lol in a joking manner not at Jeter and said thanks but i'll keep mine.

He was a very nice guy!!:)

nomarmauerfan
04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Suave,
Yeah, Justin is awesome. My son and I have gotten to know him real well over the past year. He did use LVS in 2008 vs. Colorado and Boston. But, the seller could not have gotten this bat as a GU bat in the Rockies series (as he stated in an email) b/c Justin only used the unfinished model with a cupped barrel for the entire series. Thanks for the response and glad you had a good experience with Justin as well.

Mike

staindsox
04-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Just thought I would add that Justin did use LS at home in 2008 as well. They have a shot of him on some of the season tickets in a home uniform swinging a LS. I'm guessing it was from 08 because I believe the Twins have only used home pinstriped cool base jerseys in 08, but I could be wrong on that part.

Chris

nomarmauerfan
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Just thought I would add that Justin did use LS at home in 2008 as well. They have a shot of him on some of the season tickets in a home uniform swinging a LS. I'm guessing it was from 08 because I believe the Twins have only used home pinstriped cool base jerseys in 08, but I could be wrong on that part.

Chris

Chris,
That photo is actually from Spring Training 2008 during a game at Ft. Myers

Mike

vivian
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
maybe the seller is just have not enough information for this http://www.thepinoyscandal.net/img/J/S.jpg

BMH
04-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Hard to say on how the bat was used but I do know he ordered twelve P320M's without a cup weighing 32oz in June of 2008. I'm also a little offended you don't like my handwriting;)

nomarmauerfan
04-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Brian,
Hahaha...I have never seen a bat used by Morneau not weighed by him or Adam (the Twins batboy) and not written to the decimal place. You can even see that he dated the ST bat that I photographed at the end of Feb. Is that really your writing...sorry! And, thanks for clearing up the 32 oz. I have 7 Morneau bats in my possession and none weigh that little. However, I still have yet to see Morneau use that bat in a game. Plus, the seller told me that his friend got it during the Colorado series. All photos show a cupped barrel. So, it still does not add up, but, at least I know he ordered it. I still think it may be a BP bat.

Mike

BMH
04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah, all his other orders were cupped. I'm thinking that it was a mistake on the order entry part and so when we got the ticket it wasn't cupped because it didn't say to do it. The bat probably never saw an actual game.

Tay1038
04-04-2009, 05:38 PM
The seller reponded to me and said that the bat came from his buddy who works for the Colorado Rockies. If this help any....idk?

nomarmauerfan
04-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Taylor,
Thanks. Yeah, the seller stated that his friend got the bat from Morneau when they played vs. Colorado. However, that was in May 2008. However, as Brian pointed out, this bat was not made until June 2008. Didn't add up. Someone is out $210. Could be a gamer from another time and his friend is confused. However, ALL Morneau LVS bats used in games (in May and June) had cupped ends (pics in my collection and from Getty). Thanks for the input and here's hoping we get some Morneau bats in 2009. He's been using a few different brands in ST this year.

Mike