PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Garnett Rookie Jersey-thoughts?

hblakewolf
04-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Would appreciate any comments on the offered Kevin Garnett Rookie jersey in the Grey Flannel auction.

My area of expertise is not Minnesota Timberwolves equipment and my client is seeking rookie gamers from the best NBA players.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=20551

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

trsent
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Would appreciate any comments on the offered Kevin Garnett Rookie jersey in the Grey Flannel auction.

My area of expertise is not Minnesota Timberwolves equipment and my client is seeking rookie gamers from the best NBA players.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=20551

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard, I would say the Grey Flannel jersey with Basketball Hall of Fame LOA matches up pretty well to the one Lelands.com sold for over $7100 (including Buyer's Premium and with a pair of shoes) in November 2008:

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=811&lot=400

otismalibu
04-01-2009, 12:58 PM
With regard to the NOB...

The Ts are different - the R could be too.

Just sayin'

trsent
04-01-2009, 01:59 PM
With regard to the NOB...

The Ts are different - the R could be too.

Just sayin'

Good catch.

The "R"s look ok to me, but now that you make me look, there is more space between the "GARNETT" and "21" on the Lelands auction than in the Grey Flannel auction.

I emailed an associate who has a bunch of Timberwolves stuff and asked if he could find any other hand written Set numbers of any of his items so we can compare the handwriting. I will post pictures if I receive any photos in return.

I couldn't find any pictures of Garnett's back on Getty Images from that era. Maybe someone can help us find some to help match the fonts.

lund6771
04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Howard...

There is a expert on year that goes by the name Bigticket...

Here is the post that he made concerning Garnett rookie jerseys

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=19554&highlight=kevin+garnett

Does the GF one come with a Team LOA?....if not, it looks like there should be some concern

I would contact GF and ask them if it comes with a team LOA

Dewey2007
04-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Here goes '95-96 Isaiah Rider jersey tagging with handwritten Set 1 on it.

trsent
04-02-2009, 01:49 AM

Great find there!

I would say, if it means anything, that this jersey matches similar handwriting to the Grey Flannel jersey and not the Lelands jersey. It doesn't make a jersey good or bad, but notice the style of the letter "S" in "Set" is similar on your jersey and the Grey Flannel jersey. The Lelands jersey has a different style of writing. This doesn't mean different people didn't write on these jerseys, but that it is interesting.

Also, the different thickness of pens used in your jersey from the Grey Flannel jersey is quite noticeable.

Finally, for those discussing it - The Grey Flannel jersey is advertised as: Accompanied by a LOA from the Basketball Hall of Fame.

kingjammy24
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
The Grey Flannel jersey is advertised as: Accompanied by a LOA from the Basketball Hall of Fame.

i don't understand what that really means. LOAs are usually issued by either the original source or the authenticator. did the HOF sell this jersey to GFC? did they originally acquire it from garnett? or did they simply authenticate it? i don't understand what role the HOF plays in either the acquisition or authentication of this jersey. it'd be interesting to actually see what the letter says.

rudy.

lund6771
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Read through Bigtickets post again about the history of KG rookie jerseys.....

forget the the block handwriting, look at the font on the back of the jersey and the fact that there is no team letter...this jersey is a fake...guarenteed

mfsquirrelmaster
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
When Grey Flannel has their yearly auction at the HOF all of the jerseys come with LOA's from the HOF. Grey Flannel is the "official" authenticator for the HOF. I think they stated that it comes with a HOF letter to make the jersey look more "authentic". If you search previous posts there were problems with other jerseys in that auction. From memory I think there was that bad Worthy UNC jersey.

hblakewolf
04-02-2009, 07:34 PM
When Grey Flannel has their yearly auction at the HOF all of the jerseys come with LOA's from the HOF. Grey Flannel is the "official" authenticator for the HOF. I think they stated that it comes with a HOF letter to make the jersey look more "authentic". If you search previous posts there were problems with other jerseys in that auction. From memory I think there was that bad Worthy UNC jersey.

Is this the thread you reference?

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10620&page=2&highlight=worthy+flannel

Not only is the Worthy jersey discussed, but also a Chris Webber and Larry Bird warm-up. Very interesting information.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

dcgreg25
04-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Interesting development, Grey Flannel sent out an update on the auction. It reads in part:

"Lot 135, a 1995-96 Kevin Garnett Rookie Timberwolves Game-Used Road Jersey, was shown via photographs to the former T-Wolves equipment manager who, without reservation, approved of the shirt."

I have no interest in the jersey one way or the other but thought this was relevant.

hblakewolf
04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Interesting development, Grey Flannel sent out an update on the auction. It reads in part:

"Lot 135, a 1995-96 Kevin Garnett Rookie Timberwolves Game-Used Road Jersey, was shown via photographs to the former T-Wolves equipment manager who, without reservation, approved of the shirt."

I have no interest in the jersey one way or the other but thought this was relevant.

Talk about uncanny timing!

My next door neighbor and former candy delivery man Don Daluca was just shown my mid 1980's Phillies mesh jersey with screened 66 on front, and, without reservation, approved the shirt. He's a little uneasy with the adjustable Phillies hat but also approved it.

My neighbor Don is the best!

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

otismalibu
04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Howard,

Don wouldn't happen to be the impeccable source that 'acquired' the jersey on your behalf, to begin with?

lund6771
04-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I wonder if the former EM was also asked if it's possible that fonts can vary as well....:eek:

lund6771
04-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Dewey...does your Rider have a Team LOA?...if so, would you mind turning it inside/out and shooting some close-up pics....

pro-cuts, like the offerred Garnett, will have a different stitching color than a real jersey in certain area....look for blue

Besides the obvious...no team LOA and wrong fonts....A database with a checklist would have easily eliminated this pro-cut

Dewey2007
04-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Lund6771, No team LOA came with the Rider jersey but here go pics of the front and back interior stitching and a closeup of the font used on the back of the jersey.