PDA

View Full Version : sheffield released

tigerdale
03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
The tigers just released Gary Sheffield...(499 career home runs).
no one has ever hit his 500th playing for the tigers....hard to believe !!

Bondsgloves
03-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Sheffield may never see 500 himself. The guys batting under .200 in Spring Training, and is often injured.

suave1477
03-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Sheffield will defiitely get picked up. Even if his game has dwindled down he will still be a short term PR attraction for some team, when he hits his 500th Home Run. Sheffield himself has no intentions of stop playing. I am not sure how he has been doing during Spring Training or the reason why he was doing poorly but I am sure it is just a small slump he is starting off in. I am sure he will break out of it. He is still a big power hitter and in great shape.

We will see him pop up somewhere!!

I have spoken with Sheffield in the past and in his mind he wants to play as long as he possibly can, he loves the game. If he can I am sure he will try to push to hit 600.
Now I am not saying this is going to happen or that a team will carry him for that long but, he could pull it off if a team does carry him.

ironmanfan
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Toronto may be a good fit for both sides.....

Sheffield11
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Im sure he will fit in with the Phillies nicely.

Vintagedeputy
03-31-2009, 11:59 AM
I would take him in DC!

Let Sheff play 1st with Dunn in the OF.

skyking26
03-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I would take him in DC!

Let Sheff play 1st with Dunn in the OF.
Good lick with that idea. Sheffield came to Detroit and as of last year, stated publicly he did not want to play DH, and prefered OF duties to 1B. While I agree that due to the deal someone will get this year signing him as Det will pick up the salary...he does so much complaining and a cancer in the clubhouse that he is not of value down the road. Good ridance to him!!!

Fnazxc0114
03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
i wonder if sheffield has pissed many people off in detriot. i think its good that they cut him one homerun shy of 500. thankfully im not a fan

allstarsplus
03-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Sheffield will defiitely get picked up. Even if his game has dwindled down he will still be a short term PR attraction for some team, when he hits his 500th Home Run. Sheffield himself has no intentions of stop playing. I am not sure how he has been doing during Spring Training or the reason why he was doing poorly but I am sure it is just a small slump he is starting off in. I am sure he will break out of it. He is still a big power hitter and in great shape.

I have spoken with Sheffield in the past and in his mind he wants to play as long as he possibly can, he loves the game. If he can I am sure he will try to push to hit 600.
Now I am not saying this is going to happen or that a team will carry him for that long but, he could pull it off if a team does carry him.

I totally agree with you as the Baltimore Orioles did with Sammy Sosa several years ago and Palmeiro.

Those guys sell extra tickets which Angelos likes. What is not good is those guys are generally disgruntled employees and don't win many games for you.

skyking26
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Speaking as a Michigan resident, Sheffield ruffled more than a few feathers for sure last year. Very poor attitude. Glad to see him go as I'm sure are his teammates and LeLand!!!

When you make that kinda dough...you'll play wherever the mgr tells ya to play!! He's a me-guy, not a team player. Whoever gets him will have to endure his piss poor attitude and desire for money and the #500 only. I can't say enough negative about the guy. Wish I had something positive to say...I'll get back to you when I do.:rolleyes:

AWA85
03-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Tigerdale, would you mind shooting me an email AWA85@live.com

Thank you!

suicide_squeeze
03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey Andrew.......

Suddenly, this story adds a tad of luster to the ball you so graciously offered to me in my quest for a Sheffield home run ball.

Personally, I don't like the guy....arrogant, miserable, public relations nightmare, ugly audio blurbs, racist, selfish player, team "drama King", etc.

But recently (earlier this year) I went on the "Items Wanted" thread to get one of his authentic home run balls ("reluctantly", I stated) because..........drumroll please............

I thought he'd be in the 500 Home Run club!!!!!!!!!

This is kinda funny......:o

suave1477
03-31-2009, 10:48 PM

There is no doubt he is going to get his chance to hit his 500th Home Run.

It is just a matter of where?

This from the MLB site prove my point.

The Tigers will owe Sheffield his guaranteed $14 million salary for this year. Team owner Mike Ilitch had to approve the move, Dombrowski confirmed. Assuming Sheffield clears the 48-hour waiver period unclaimed, he'll be free to sign with any team he chooses, with the signing team owing him only the minimum Major League salary.

So with this in mind any team would be crazy not pick him up for one more year. His salary is being paid for by the Tigers and they only have to pay league min. - Thats like getting free PR marketing

This from the MLB site of Sheff's feelings further confirms my point which I made earlier

"There's no regret," Sheffield said. "I got a chance to show people the first half [of 2007] when I got here. Up until that injury, I think I was leading the team in everything. You don't just go from that to a freak injury, and just think that you can overcome that.
"I still tried to play through it. It isn't like I just sat around and didn't do anything. I tried to play through it, which most players wouldn't have done, and I'm proud of that."
Now that he's healthy, Sheffield strongly believes that he can still play, and the Tigers don't challenge that. Sheffield also believes he could be an outfielder in the National League. "I have a lot left. I know that," he said. "If one person doesn't think you can play in the field, that's their opinion. I know I can. Nobody understands my body better than me. Unfortunately, I got hurt here and wasn't able to show what I can really do. I fought real hard to get back to this point. I just feel like I've got more to give."

And this sums it up from the retired and now MLB Analyst - Sean Casey

"I was shocked to see Sheff let go, especially with what they owe him and being one (homer) shy of 500," Casey said.

Which just further proves he is a blessing in disguise for some team that needs a little power hitting and marketing!!

suicide_squeeze
03-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Which just further proves he is a blessing in disguise for some team that needs a little power hitting and marketing!!

You got the "In disguise" part right.........

He would come disguised as a ball player that still has something to give.

When in reality, all he wants it to "take" what HE wants, while he really has very little, if any, use to ANY baseball team in MLB today.

No one needs "P.R." from a guy who is one homer away from the elite #500 home run club, because the glaring question quickly comes to mind "What do we do with this 40 year old has-been pariah once he hits it?"

That said.....I truly believe the team that WILL pick him up......

...................will be the Marlins.

They have the most to gain by the move, as he has stated he would want to enter the Hall in a Marlins hat. There's your PR suave.

Stay tuned.....

Vintagedeputy
03-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Just read this!

Mariners to sign Sheffield and McGriff.

The Seattle Mariners, a team that lost 101 games in 2008 look to spark their offense for 2009 by signing 2 veteran sluggers - Former Tiger Gary Sheffield, sitting on the edge of immortality with 499 home runs and former MLB star and holder of 493 Major League home runs, Fred McGriff.

Sheffield, the often talked about former Tiger was elated when he heard about the news. "I'll show them what I've still got in the tank. I can't wait til we roll into Detroit City this year.

McGriff, who hasnt seen a major league pitch since the 2004 season, was equally overjoyed. "I want to show the people that the crime dog still has the fight left in him".

suicide_squeeze
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Let's see........It's after midnight where you are.........OK, I GET IT!:D

skyking26
04-01-2009, 08:09 AM
I see Mariners are expected to announce the signings today. An outfield of Sheffield, Griffey and McGriff.

Go Mariners!

Vintagedeputy
04-01-2009, 08:28 AM
I see Mariners are expected to announce the signings today. An outfield of Sheffield, Griffey and McGriff.

Go Mariners!

I heard that Terry Cashman is re-writing the words to "Talkin' Baseball". Its now going to be "Gary, Crime Dog and the Kid" instead of "Willie, Mickey and the Duke"

suicide_squeeze
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
I heard that Terry Cashman is re-writing the words to "Talkin' Baseball". Its now going to be "Gary, Crime Dog and the Kid" instead of "Willie, Mickey and the Duke"

They've already arranged a public signing for the three: They are calling it....

"Griffey, Doggie, and Bigotry"