PDA

View Full Version : Any Mears winners last night?

gatorcollector
03-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I won the Al Rosen bat. My second pickup now that I have branched out into bats. Only $61. Pretty good deal I think.

corsairs22
03-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I picked up a Reb Russell and a Max Flack. Both were very reasonably priced. I wish I could say the same about the bats for sale in their store.

suave1477
03-27-2009, 09:46 AM
I saw the Al Rosen looked like anice bat - not bad for $61.

Well I was outbid on both my items I was going for and really wanted the Chicken Hawks game used bat
And I was outbid on the Sheffield Jersey.

Oh well!!:rolleyes:

earlywynnfan
03-27-2009, 03:12 PM
You beat me out on the Rosen bat, and you wouldn't have if I was getting any emails from MEARS -- I forgot the auction was ending, and for some reason none of their emails get to me. Oh, well, good for you.

I won the Cy Williams bat, and I can't believe nobody beat me on it.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

cohibasmoker
03-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I was 1 for 8. When I went to bed at 0130 hours, I was the high bidder of 3 items. When I woke up at 0730 hours, I only managed to get a single item. Oh well, next time.

Jim

BoneRubbedBat
03-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I was 4-for-10 on bats. I have won items in all the MEARS auctions so far, and can honestly say that they have provided some of the best customer service I have ever received from an auction house.

corsairs22
03-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I want to join those who have had very good experiences with their customer service. There was a very minor mix up, which they corrected with abundant good sense. And, of course, the bats that they send along are packaged beautifully.

ironmanfan
03-27-2009, 08:35 PM
While only a retail/store model bat, I did pick up the Cal Ripken Jr. 35" Worth bat....I've never seen one before and the price was right.

MGHProductions
03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I picked up 5 bats and a yearbook.
Matt

saftey45
03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Aw, that auction sucked. I was high bidder and it refreshed saying that the bidding had gone into extra time. So I waited the extra 15 minutes and I was still high bidder at the end of it. Cool I though I had won, OH about an hour I get out bid. CRAP.. Just CRAP.. I hate all the BS. just my opinion.

nick1980
03-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Aw, that auction sucked. I was high bidder and it refreshed saying that the bidding had gone into extra time. So I waited the extra 15 minutes and I was still high bidder at the end of it. Cool I though I had won, OH about an hour I get out bid. CRAP.. Just CRAP.. I hate all the BS. just my opinion.

Sounds like you don't quite understand what the "15 minute" rule means. The auction doesn't end until there is no bids for 15 minutes straight on any listing in the auction. Unless your the only bidder then you win at the end.

trsent
03-30-2009, 10:19 AM

They use the 15 minute on any lot theory that if any single lot in the auction receives a bid, the whole auction refreshes and the process starts again. I believe quite a few sports memorabilia auction houses use this or a similar system.

For the record - I only spent $80.00 in the past MEARS auction. The bids are finally catching up with the values.

hiramman
03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
It seams to me that the 15 minute rule is a very distinct advantage for those collectors living on the west coast. For those of us here on the east coast, it seems that sometimes we don't stand a chance. I don't know what time the auction finally ended, but with it going into extended time after 9pm I stayed up until 2:45 am eastern time and it was still going.

Either they need to change the rules or have their auctions end on Friday or Saturday nights, so that everyone can stay up to the early morning hours.

Just my 2 cents.

trsent
03-30-2009, 10:33 PM
It seams to me that the 15 minute rule is a very distinct advantage for those collectors living on the west coast. For those of us here on the east coast, it seems that sometimes we don't stand a chance. I don't know what time the auction finally ended, but with it going into extended time after 9pm I stayed up until 2:45 am eastern time and it was still going.

Either they need to change the rules or have their auctions end on Friday or Saturday nights, so that everyone can stay up to the early morning hours.

Just my 2 cents.

Neat concept. Maybe they should start the 15 minute rule at 4PM in the afternoon and then see how long it runs. I believe they now start it at 9PM.

MGHProductions
03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
I think the 15 minute rule should be on each individual item instead of the entire auction. 15 minute per lot gives you plenty of time to bid in the event you get outbid and your not staying up all night because only a few lots are being actively bid on.

gatorcollector
03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
MGH, that makes the most sense to me also. A bidding war over one item keeps all the other items open to bidding as well. The 15 minute rule should apply to individual items.

TNTtoys
03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I think the 15 minute rule should be on each individual item instead of the entire auction. 15 minute per lot gives you plenty of time to bid in the event you get outbid and your not staying up all night because only a few lots are being actively bid on.
Many auction houses still have the rule per auction item (providing you have placed at least 1 bid during regulation). I had a good experience recently with Hunt to this regard... Other that I have had nice success with that follow the "per item" rule are Steiner auctions & MLB auctions. Probably more but that's all that comes to mind now.