PDA

View Full Version : Parish Game Used ???

LEGEND33
04-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Just bought this Celtics practice jersey for usd 40, what attract me was the label (see enclosed pics)
... my hope is that i found a Robert Parish game used practice jersey ....
any expert ?
Alberto (Italy)

p.s.
To view my collection (over 650 pics)
http://community.webshots.com/user/converse33 (http://community.webshots.com/user/converse33)

norristrophy
04-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't know much about basketball jerseys but that is one amazing collection you got there. I got tired clicking through it all. Awesome.

trsent
04-24-2006, 08:14 PM
I am confused, your jersey looks to be properly tagged, but why would that lead you to believe that a jersey you bought for $40.00 was used in a game? Just because an item is properly tagged doesn't mean that it was used by the player who's name is on the jersey.

Even if the item shows wear or washing, I'd assume the last owner wore the item that they bought in a fan shop at The Boston Garden a years ago.

For $40.00 it is a neat jersey, but don't get your hopes up because there would be no way to prove that it was worn by anyone, Robert Parish included.

otismalibu
04-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Did they sell practice jerseys to the public, with the "exclusive" tagging? Someone must know? BTPH?

Just because an item is properly tagged doesn't mean that it was used by the player who's name is on the jersey.

Correct. And just because an item doesn't match any photos of a certain player, doesn't mean that player didn't wear the jersey, right?

but don't get your hopes up because there would be no way to prove that it was worn by anyone, Robert Parish included.

Welcome to the world of "game worn". Some days the onus seems to be on "proving it is" while other days the challenge is to "prove it isn't". But in most cases, you're never going to know.

Greg

LEGEND33
04-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Did they sell practice jerseys to the public, with the "exclusive" tagging? Someone must know? (Greg)

...this is exactly my curiosity...
Alberto

trsent
04-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Did they sell practice jerseys to the public, with the "exclusive" tagging? Someone must know? (Greg)

...this is exactly my curiosity...
Alberto

I understand the question, but even if no one knows a definite answer, the jersey was not sold as game used, so how could you ever possibly prove otherwise? Really neat jersey for the price you paid, but who is to say that they never were sold in the team shop, even if they only had a few to sell? No one can really ever know.

otismalibu
04-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I understand the question, but even if no one knows a definite answer, the jersey was not sold as game used, so how could you ever possibly prove otherwise? Really neat jersey for the price you paid, but who is to say that they never were sold in the team shop, even if they only had a few to sell? No one can really ever know.

Joel,

Was it stated somewhere that the jersey was not sold as game used? If the seller said, "Yeah, this is a practice-used Chief jersey" and sold it for $350, would that change your opinion of the piece?

If this exact item (with the same photos) was listed with one of the auction houses that are frequently discussed here, and someone posted a link to it and said....

Just because an item is properly tagged doesn't mean that it was used by the player who's name is on the jersey.

but don't get your hopes up because there would be no way to prove that it was worn by anyone, Robert Parish included.

Would you let them skate with that comment?

Just curious,

Greg

trsent
04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Joel,

Was it stated somewhere that the jersey was not sold as game used? If the seller said, "Yeah, this is a practice-used Chief jersey" and sold it for $350, would that change your opinion of the piece?

If this exact item (with the same photos) was listed with one of the auction houses that are frequently discussed here, and someone posted a link to it and said....

Would you let them skate with that comment?

Just curious,

Greg

Greg, what are you fishing for? I do not understand. The original post stated that the buyer of the jersey was hoping they may have come across a game used jersey. Did I miss something, such as assuming they bought just a jersey that was not advertised as game used and maybe it was?

Ok, so I'll reword my statement: Sir, assuming your jersey was sold as just a jersey, I can only assume it to be sold in a retail outlet and I don't believe, unless you can find exactly who it came from, that the jersey can ever then be identified as game used. If there was previously some providence, then maybe it can be properly identified as better than just a team issued jersey. Either way, for $40.00, you made a great buy!

Better?

otismalibu
04-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Joel,

First off, I have no idea if that Celts jersey is store bought, team issued or practice-used. It just seems that you're basing your comments on the price that was paid and a lack of paperwork. I'm sure it doesn't happen every day, but there must be forum members who have picked up game used items for a song, in cases where the seller had no clue what they were moving. I saw an ABA item sell on eBay for a BIN of $100, then a week later, the buyer flipped it for around $1100. It was simply a case of a seller not knowing what they had and someone else acting quickly. If I died tomorrow, my wife wouldn't know which jerseys were game used and which were M&N. So if she sold a gamer for $40, would it suddenly be unlikely that it was a gamer?

You routinely defend auction houses when forum members question their items. Is that simply based on price and paperwork? If it was that simple, would there really be a need for a forum such as this?

Greg

trsent
04-25-2006, 10:10 AM
You routinely defend auction houses when forum members question their items. Is that simply based on price and paperwork? If it was that simple, would there really be a need for a forum such as this?

Greg, so if a jersey is properly tagged and has NO providence, you are claiming that it can be then be determined to be game used based on tagging and wear?

Also, you feel I am defending auction houses (and sellers on eBay) often, but I am just airing my opinions based on what evidence is given, or a lack of evidence. I love debate and I think my posts are based on fairness. Sorry if you do not feel that way. For example - Just yesterday I was debating with Howard Wolf on the forum, but when we spoke on the phone it was like talking to a buddy.

I used to have a nickname at poker and previously in my brief career playing 9-ball. (I only played 9-ball to be sure there was a poker game after our billiard session) It was "The King of S**t". I got this nickname because I talked crap with the best of them.

I wish they had videotaped some of my heads up poker sessions with Sam Grizzle and Daniel Negreanu because they were more entertaining than about 98% of the poker that is currently aired on television.

Did I go off on a tangent again?

The point I was making is that I feel you have a problem with my views, and that is fine, it keeps the forum fresh to have different opinions of issues instead of everyone agreeing about a side every time. I also think in the case of the Robert Parish warm-up jersey, that even though I have stated that it is properly tagged, without some background it will be impossible to ever determine it was "game used".

otismalibu
04-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Greg, so if a jersey is properly tagged and has NO providence, you are claiming that it can be then be determined to be game used based on tagging and wear?

Joel,

I've never sent in an item to be authenticated, so I have no idea what type of info is needed to acquire a COA. And I agree with you 100%, that there's no way to know if Chief wore the jersey even if tagging and size are correct and there were signs of wear.

But let's say Alberto sent this in to be authenticated. And let's say that the tagging is correct and there are signs of wear. Would he need additional paperwork to get a COA? A plausible story of how it was acquired from an "impeccable source"? Or can someone find a jersey at a garage sale and get it authenticated, by simply presenting the complete jersey with no additional info.

Greg

LEGEND33
04-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Only to thanks all members for their opinion !!!
living in a small village in the northern east part of Italy... this forum is great to help me in the hobby.
Alberto

trsent
04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
But let's say Alberto sent this in to be authenticated. And let's say that the tagging is correct and there are signs of wear. Would he need additional paperwork to get a COA? A plausible story of how it was acquired from an "impeccable source"? Or can someone find a jersey at a garage sale and get it authenticated, by simply presenting the complete jersey with no additional info.

That would be a great question to pose to 3rd party authenticators.

both-teams-played-hard
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
This tagging was used on retail items, especially around 85-86 during Sand Knit ownership change from Medalist to MacGregor. I would think a practice used jersey would show much more wear.
I also think if this jersey was sent to Lou Lampson, there would be NO way to prove this wasn't worn by Parish. This is the problem with post 1986 retail jerseys from ALL sports. However, Sand Knit retail hoop game jerseys from the era have NO extra length or NOB.

I have bought NUMEROUS gamers on eBay that were NOT advertised as gamers. Thrift Stores and flea markets have sold many 100% game worn jerseys...I know from first hand experience!

Greg: What was th ABA BIN that you saw for $100? I should'nt ask, but I am a glutton for punishment!
Alberto: Your collection keeps getting better!

otismalibu
04-25-2006, 02:23 PM
So they had the exclusive team tag on retail items? Interesting.

If the jersey smells like someone just roasted a fatty while wearing it, maybe it did belong to....never mind :)

Greg: What was th ABA BIN that you saw for $100? I should'nt ask, but I am a glutton for punishment!

It was an ABA ball. It looked just like a regular ABA Rawlings leather game ball, but it had no commish signature stamp on it. I'm guessing it was a store model, but it was in great shape and had a BIN of right around $100. I'd never seen one like it. The buyer must have relisted right after he received it and it went for over $1000. Ones with the stamp (in the same condition) fetch more.

Greg

LEGEND33
04-25-2006, 02:59 PM
... i have about 60 differents C.O.A. 's to trade for a B.T.P.H. signature !:) :) :)

thanks Warren