PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on selling a game used jersey

darylv1
04-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, although I know a couple of you (hello to Jim P. and Howard W., in particular). I need some advice on what to do with a 1981 set 2 Mike Schmidt game used, autographed jersey with pants from same year and set.

I've been collecting Schmidt and Phillies memorabilia (game used and other misc) for about 15 years. This is the centerpiece of my collection and I never thought I'd even consider parting with it.

Here's my dilemma. My wife is going back to school, and we have and infant. It's hard to justify having this (and the rest of my collection, for that matter), when the money could be used better elsewhere. HOWEVER, I fear that I would regret it deeply if I sell it, especially knowing that it would be extremely difficult to replace far down the road.

My second dilemma is this...If I did decide to sell, would eBay be the best route to take? Should I separate the jersey and pants, or sell together. What is a fair price for this? Obviously, I know what I paid for each item indiviually, but does having the matching pair raise the value at all?

I am hoping that someone else on this board has been in a situation similar to mine before and could offer some advice on how they made their decision.

Thanks,
Daryl Vassalluzzo

hblakewolf
04-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Daryl-
I'll help you on this one. contact me at hblakewolf@patmedia.net with your phone # and let's talk.

Howard Wolf

geoff
04-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.This is just my way of looking at your situation.Family comes first and if you have to sell them do so.But if you will regret this now you will regret it later on.So maybe you have something else in your collection to sell.Hope i helped a little bit.Thanks Geoff

earlywynnfan
04-24-2006, 02:21 PM
If you do need to sell, ebay will bring you fast money, but only half or maybe 2/3 what it's worth. with these, you really want to consign to mastro. they are sometimes maligned here, but i truly feel they bring the best prices.

Ken

cohibasmoker
04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
MastroNet or Hunt's Auctions would be my choice.

Nathan
04-30-2006, 01:05 PM
It's more common with hockey collectors and with lower-end items, but there are times when a collector could use a quick infusion of cash (vehicle expenses, wedding costs, emergency, etc) and sells a jersey(s) basically as a bond to another collector. In essence, the item is sold for a given price on the condition that when the original owner is able to repay it, they simply reverse the deal. That way there's no regrets on either end.

Not sure if it's viable here, but just a thought on my part.