PDA

View Full Version : WBC Jerseys on MLB Auction

rynopower
03-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I noticed the WBC CANADA road jerseys on MLB Auction are listed as Game Used... but the jerseys dont even have the front numerals on them. All the photos I have found of the recent CANADA Road games show the jerseys with front numerals. Did Canada wear a road jersey without front numerals at some point and I miss it or is MLB trying to pull a fast one buy claiming a team issued jersey as game worn?

suave1477
03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I was at the Team Canada vs. Yankees games and they wore there WBC equipment.

You actually brought up a good point I did see those jerseys and completely missed they were missing the front numbers. I don't think MLB is trying pull one over on us.

I actually think these were the BP Jerseys.

But just to add to all this something we did notice at the game.

Was the Team Canda players jerseys have names on the back, but believe it or not I would say about 1/3 the team was missing names on the back.

It was funny because as they walked passed us the players with the names we obviously knew who they were, the ones missing the names - jokingly we would ask who are you???? lol lol:D

perlman9
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
It also looks like they used generic photos of the Canada and Italy jerseys rather than a photo of the actual jersey you would be getting. I may be wrong, but both Canada and both Italy jerseys look the exact same, so I think just a fill-in photo rather than the jersey one would receive upon winning the auction.

rynopower
03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
For $250+ you would think they would use an acutal photo.

AWA85
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Haven't looked today but I think the Votto jersey was up around $690... yikes, hope its the real deal!

allstarsplus
03-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I think they used a generic for the pic of the front of thee jersey.

Keep in mind they hologram BP jerseys as Game Used too. Looks like a Coolbase jersey on the closeup photo---

http://wbc.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103253984&prmenbr=60768104&aunbr=103600694

rynopower
03-20-2009, 06:37 PM
So whats the verdict? BP jersey or Game Used?

suave1477
03-20-2009, 07:50 PM
I solved the mystery lol lol

The Canada Jerseys were used during the Yankees game. I looked at my photos although they are a bit hard to tell. You can see there is no number listed in the front of the Jerseys.

I am not sure if they used these Jerseys for other games.

Also to add I noticed during the actual WBC Games the Red Jerseys they were using some had white sides.
The ones they used against the Yankees were completely red.

They used black jerseys for BP, for the game against the Yankees.

I actually have a picture of Teahan with his back to me wearing this Jersey.

Jason

joelsabi
03-20-2009, 09:07 PM
wow there is players jersey going for over 3K and I never heard of Michihiro Ogasawara. Japanese are fanatical collectors.

gameused
03-20-2009, 10:23 PM
wow there is players jersey going for over 3K and I never heard of Michihiro Ogasawara. Japanese are fanatical collectors.

I checked out Ogasawara and he's a really good player in Japan. The other jersey on mlb auction is pitcher, Hisashi Iwakuma, watched this guy the other night and he had great stuff, he got the win pitching 6 scoreless innings vs Cuba.

Michihiro Ogasawara

Yomiuri Giants — No. 2
Infielder
Bats: Left Throws: Right
Professional debut
1997 for the Nippon Ham Fighters
Selected statistics
(through 2006)
Batting average .320
Home runs 239
RBI 730
Teams
Nippon Ham Fighters / Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters (1997–2003 / 2004–2006)
Yomiuri Giants (2007–present)
Olympic medal record
Men's Baseball
Bronze Athens 2004 Team Competition
Michihiro Ogasawara (小笠原 道大, born October 25, 1973 in Chiba, Chiba Prefecture, Japan) is a professional baseball player in the Japanese Central League. He currently plays first base for the Yomiuri Giants. He played with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters from 1997 to 2006.

Ogasawara is one of the most consistent hitters in Japanese baseball. He won two consecutive batting titles from 2002-2003, and led the league in home runs and RBIs in 2006 to win the Pacific League MVP award. He led the league in hits from 2000-2001, and has won 6 Japanese Golden Glove awards at first base and third base. He participated in the 2004 Summer Olympics held in Athens, Greece, winning a bronze medal. He also played for the Japanese national team in the 2006 World Baseball Classic, where he hit a home run off Esteban Loaiza at Angel Stadium of Anaheim. In 2006, he helped the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters win their first Pacific League pennant since 1981, sweeping the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks in the playoffs to reach the Japanese championship series against the Chunichi Dragons. The Fighters beat the Dragons in 5 games to win the Japanese championship series.
He became a free agent in 2006, and signed a four-year contract with the Yomiuri Giants during the off-season.

allstarsplus
03-21-2009, 06:52 AM
I solved the mystery lol lol

The Canada Jerseys were used during the Yankees game. I looked at my photos although they are a bit hard to tell. You can see there is no number listed in the front of the Jerseys.

I am not sure if they used these Jerseys for other games.

Also to add I noticed during the actual WBC Games the Red Jerseys they were using some had white sides.
The ones they used against the Yankees were completely red.

They used black jerseys for BP, for the game against the Yankees.

I actually have a picture of Teahan with his back to me wearing this Jersey.

Jason

Jason - Great job doing the research!

suave1477
03-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Andrew Thank you!!:)

PCM Sports
04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
They must have auctioned off the BP tops from Team Canada because we just received Joey Votto's game used Red Jersey and White Jersey directly from him. They boht have numbers on the front.