PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sales and Good Luck

Calrima
04-23-2006, 11:34 PM
While working the autograph table today a young man handed me a bat that he had found in a local garage sale for 1968 Detroit Tiger, Don Wert to sign. Being a bat collector I grabbed the bat and looked it all over and then I told the kid, " Do you realize this is a real game used bat? He said he thought it looked real. I then said, "Son you got really lucky!"

Mr. Wert than asked me if it was an M110, and I said it sure is. He then told me that is what I usually ordered in my playing days as he chuckled seeing this 40 year old Hillerich and Bradsby bat.

You never know how lucky you can get hitting that local sale. Has Anyone else in this group ever found anything rare?

I also have extra color 8x10s of Don Wert for $10 shipped if anyone needs one for their collections.

I hope you all get lucky some day,
Den
Calrima@aol.com (Calrima@aol.com)

PGriffin
04-26-2006, 12:29 PM
My best finds were game used bats as well, actually probably the finds of a lifetime at the same place. I found 4 game used bats from the 1940s-50's and couldnt believe my eyes 2 nobodys and then a Mel Ott 016 from the end of his career, and a Dom Dimaggio 01 which he ordered during the 1951 season

sportsbaron
04-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I've come across good stuff at used bookstores!
Jackie Robinson Pasadena Jr College Yearbook
1920's Notre Dame Dome Yearbooks with George Gipp
1902 Michigan yearbook with the 1st Rose Bowl team

Calrima
04-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Wow............a Mel Ott Gamer! Thats what collectors dreams are made of. Just gos to show you never know!

Den