PDA

View Full Version : JUST MET MY favorite Player Eric Hinske!

jake33
03-20-2009, 07:09 AM
I manage a high end sunglass store in an upscale mall, just yesterday, Eric Hinske came in the store and I talked to him for about 5-8 minutes. Super Nice guy, I even talked about game used items with him. He said he too collects items.

I told him that I have about $1500 of his items. He was very appreciative of having a dedicated fan and even asked if he could sign anything for me. I didn't of coarse though.

He said MLB team now charge players to obtain their own gamers at a cost of $225 per jersey!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thrill for me and I will remember it for quite a long time.

AWA85
03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
With MLB charging the players to obtain their own jerseys you would think more players would pass on keeping many of their jerseys. Some may keep one or two but you would think the majority would just not want to bother with purchasing them? I may be wrong, but that could mean more hit the market!

Very cool story, thanks for sharing.

godwulf
03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
You figure that 225 is just going to be for everyday, regular season jerseys, though - MLB is probably not going to give the players the option of buying something like a Jackie Robinson Day jersey, when MLB can turn around and sell it for several times that.

I always like to ask players what, of their own stuff, they collect, and I've found that there's a wide range of dispositions among them. Some guys like to keep a lot of memorabilia, while others go the traditional "one jersey, one bat, from each team" route. Some guys will all but create a little career museum for themselves, and others look at uniforms as having only a little more glamour than anyone else's "work clothes".

Still, even if it's one of those guys who likes to keep and collect a lot of items, $225 is not really going to hurt somebody making their kind of money. I mean, what is League miniumum, something like 325K? And most of them make a whole lot more than that. I'm sure some of those guys drop 225 or more on a pair of "high end sunglasses".

Ever hear Ron White's story about the expensive sunglasses, by the way? Very funny. ("Then I found out the sunglasses got basic cable, and I felt like a dickhead.")

godwulf
03-20-2009, 10:40 AM
The sunglasses story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy1wbG_bOuw

suave1477
03-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Just a few guys that come to mind I asked if they collected there own stuff and this was there basic answers.

Jim Leyritz - I did collect a lot of my own stuff through the years and most recently I have got ridden of my most of my stuff except for a few really personal items due to I just moved into a smaller home and needed to make room.

Scott Proctor - I have no interest in the stuff but I do collect from other players a few things for my son.

David Cone - Back then you never thought to really keep anything. I have a few items from over the years but nothing much and a ball from my perfect game. If I knew back then what I know now I would of kept a lot more.

Stan Bahnsen - I kept a lot of my stuff but sold most of it over the years.

Jesse Barfield - I collected alot but got rid of / sold most of my stuff. I have a lot of my sons stuff that he gives me.

allstarsplus
03-20-2009, 01:00 PM
He said MLB team now charge players to obtain their own gamers at a cost of $225 per jersey!!!!!!!!!!!

Jake - Cool thread. The Yankees with no names on the jerseys are cheaper than the jerseys with names on the back and #'s on the front.

The team obviously pays less than $225 on average but I was quoted from a player a price of $240 so it does vary from team to team and should be the same price if it was MLB Authenticated. :rolleyes:

The sunglasses story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy1wbG_bOuw

Godwulf - Hilarious. That guy is a dead ringer for a buddy of mine sans the cigarette.

allstarsplus
03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Sunglasses. Talking about sunglasses. I am getting my 1st pair of player game used sunglasses. Not exactly old school flips but new school Oakleys.

A player is going to sell me his game used Oakleys that he said he paid $107 for them.

Same as these!!!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=oakley+mlb

Tedw9
03-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Jake,

Congrats on meeting your favorite player! It's not often we get to meet a player we admire and spend a few moments with them. Thanks for sharing. :)