PDA

View Full Version : Game Used reference on new HBO show

godwulf
03-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Has anyone else been watching the new show on HBO, called 'Eastbound and Down'?

It's the story of a former Major League relief pitcher named Kenny Powers, who makes Billy Bob Thornton's 'Bad Santa' seem like Mister Rogers. It's kind of a one-joke show - Kenny has fallen on hard times and is teaching a junior high gym class - but the guy is so incredibly socially retarded, dense and arrogant that it's like watching a bad car wreck every time he opens his mouth. You want to look away, but it's strangely fascinating.

Anyway, on a recent episode, Kenny decides to let his sister-in-law put all of his Baseball memorabilia and souvenirs on eBay, expecting to rake in huge money for his "treasures". One of the items is the broken bat with which he hit his only career home run, which he initially insists that she list for thousands of dollars, but later relents and allows her to list at a low beginning bid price and no reserve. It sells for $9.

Reminds me of the famous Sam Malone jersey auction episode of 'Cheers'. It also kind of reminds me of the time I paid a whole $1.04 for a Mitch Melusky gamer.

So now I have a new "t.v./game-used" item to watch out for - that bat. I know I'm not the only one who likes to collect that kind of stuff.

suave1477
03-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah I caught the first 2 episodes of that show.

Then thought to myself this show actually got approved to air????

Then thought to myself someone actually writes these scripots and thinks there good???

Then I thought to myself Wil ferrell is producing this????

I think you get the picture lol lol:D

perlman9
03-20-2009, 06:30 AM
I just saw that episode last night while watching On Demand. Was very funny. I even think he has a set of baseballs from the World Series he pitched in for sale. Anyway, the lead character reminds me of Mark Wohlers for some reason. I guess he gave up a home run in the world series (the character) and could not pitch again after that. Sounds like what happened to Mark. But the character himself I would think would be more based on John Rocker based on the attitude in which he presents himself. Maybe the writers were either Braves fans or Braves haters =)