PDA

View Full Version : You guys are not going to believe this!

Vintagedeputy
03-19-2009, 07:08 AM
ok, so I'm sitting at home yesterday, enjoying a day off....and the phone rings.

Not expecting anyone to call, I was FLOORED when I answered the phone and at the other end, it was none other than JOHNNY BLANCHARD! Former star ballplayer with the NEW YORK YANKEES!

It seems that Johnny wanted to tell me, imagine that, me, about all the new deals at Steiner Sports. It seems that Steiner even has stuff from Johnny's old teammate, MICKEY MANTLE! Well, at this point, I'm about to faint after hearing that!

I wish that you all could have been there. Receiving that call was just about the proudest moment of my life.

:)

3arod13
03-19-2009, 07:28 AM
ok, so I'm sitting at home yesterday, enjoying a day off....and the phone rings.

Not expecting anyone to call, I was FLOORED when I answered the phone and at the other end, it was none other than JOHNNY BLANCHARD! Former star ballplayer with the NEW YORK YANKEES!

It seems that Johnny wanted to tell me, imagine that, me, about all the new deals at Steiner Sports. It seems that Steiner even has stuff from Johnny's old teammate, MICKEY MANTLE! Well, at this point, I'm about to faint after hearing that!

I wish that you all could have been there. Receiving that call was just about the proudest moment of my life.

I know exactly how you felt.

When I was collecting Juan Gonzalez stuff, and having written to Juan Gonzalez on numerous occassions, I got to know Luis R. Mayoral very well, who worked for and travelled with Juan Gonzalez throughout his career.

One day I come home, and I have a message on my answering machine. It's Luis Mayoral. He leaves a message telling me that Juan received my package and that he is honored that I am such a big fan of Juan Gonzalez. He also leaves his phone number and wants me to call him back. I did. Had a really nice conversation with him.

A few weeks later, I get a few signed items in the mail from Juan, with this letter.

Although I didn't get to talk to Juan, it was still pretty cool.

Regards, Tony

bigtruck260
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Juan received my package

I know, I'm a child.

Vintage - did you need a crowbar to get your tongue out of your cheek?
I am beginning to appreciate your sense of humor, though it's taken me a few years.

shoremen44
03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
thanks Dave... I now have coffee on my keyboard

Vintagedeputy
03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Vintage - did you need a crowbar to get your tongue out of your cheek?
I am beginning to appreciate your sense of humor, though it's taken me a few years.

I know, my sense of humor takes some getting used to. I'm glad that someone got the joke.

I've gotten calls like that before from Obama, John McCain and Charlton Heston so now I expect the rich and famous to call me all the time! :)

Jim

3arod13
03-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, I didn't get it. But I think I do now. I feel stupid!

cjclong
03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
I guess I'm the slowest one of all. Was it a robo call?

Vintagedeputy
03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
haha, yes it was an automated message. Once you say hello, Blanchard starts talking in a pre-recorded message. I must have ended up on a Steiner phone list for advertising. It was a sales pitch for their big sale.

Johnny Blanchard did not really call me personally......

you guys crack me up

3arod13
03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
haha, yes it was an automated message. Once you say hello, Blanchard starts talking in a pre-recorded message. I must have ended up on a Steiner phone list for advertising. It was a sales pitch for their big sale.

you guys crack me up

Wish I would have realized that. Here, I share my similar story, only to find out you were only being funny.

Boy, I have to get out more often :

suave1477
03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Vintage yeah I am gonna have to go along with everyone else. I didnt get the joke I thought you were serioues.

And I have the most driest,sarcastic humor I know. And I didnt even realize yours was a joke didnt indicate it anywhere it was.

I thought you belonged to some Blanchard fan club or something and he really ended up calling you lol lol:D

But now I got your joke lol lol

Vintagedeputy
03-19-2009, 02:13 PM
ok, mea culpa....next time I'll have to add in some :) :)

allstarsplus
03-19-2009, 02:31 PM

you guys crack me up

That is hilarious. I had a call come in mid-afternoon yesterday from an 800-880-6989 with a message from Steiner Sports and then their message didn't come through. Glad to know what I missed!!!

Vintagedeputy
03-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, I didn't get it. But I think I do now. I feel stupid!

I gotta tell ya, when I read your reply and story about Juan Gone, I damn near wet myself laughing so hard. I think that I laughed harder than when I typed my original post.

allstarsplus
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM

Oh my, Johnny Blanchard just passed away. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

allstarsplus
03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
03/25/09 12:28 PM ET

Yankees' 'Super-Sub' Blanchard dies

Was member of five World Series teams in New York

Johnny Blanchard, a member of five New York Yankees World Series clubs, died Wednesday of a heart attack in Minnesota. He was 76.

Nicknamed "Super-Sub," Blanchard spent most of his career as a backup catcher, debuting with the Yankees in 1955 and serving as a regular member of New York's roster from 1959 into 1965.

His best season came with the 1961 World Series championship team, when Blanchard batted .305 with 21 home runs and 54 RBIs in 93 games. On July 21-26 of that season, Blanchard hit four straight home runs over a three-game period, tying a Major League record.

Blanchard was also a presence in October, holding a World Series record with 10 pinch-hitting appearances. He hit .345 in the Yankees' five straight Fall Classic appearances from 1960 through 1964, including slugging two home runs in the Yankees' five-game victory over the Cincinnati Reds.

Appearing in 516 games over eight big league seasons, Blanchard hit .239 with 67 home runs and 200 RBIs. His Yankees tenure came to a close on May 3, 1965, when he was traded with Rollie Sheldon to the Kansas City Athletics for Doc Edwards.

Blanchard played in 52 games for the A's before finishing the 1965 season with the Milwaukee Braves, retiring after the conclusion of the campaign.

He resided in Minnetonka, Minn., and was a regular presence at Yankee Stadium for Old Timers Days in recent seasons.