PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Photomatch Question

MikeM
03-18-2009, 03:54 AM
I'm new to these forums and have collected baseball jerseys over the years and I never really thought of photomatching until I've visited these forums.

How exactly does one go about photomatching?

I have a 1990 home jersey of Willie McGee from the Oakland A's that I'd love to photomatch. It has tons of game use, and since Willie played so few games for Oakland in 1990, at least narrowing down the date shouldn't be too too tough.

Any help is appreciated in learning what sites offer MLB game photos from such a long time ago.

Just for reference, I've attached pics of this jersey.

Any assistance is appreciated, thanks.

TriplexXxSports
03-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Photomatching can be done a couple of different ways:

1) Browsing photo archive websites to find a pic of the player and matching significant markings to your jersey.

2) Watching video/game archives from that season and match the jersey directly to a certain game.

These are the easiest ways. Have you tried Getty or ViewImages?

TriplexXxSports
03-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Another way, I forgot to mention, is to match it to a baseball card from that year. It's a longshot since Willie did not play with the A's that long, but every once in a while you can get lucky.

MikeM
03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Rob L
03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Mike, there are a bunch of photomatching sites under the links section on my webpage. Should give you a couple hours of fun!!