PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Team Usa Advances!!!!

xpress34
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
David Wright's flair single with 1 out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th Inning eliminates PR and pushes USA to L.A. for the WBC Semi-Finals!!!

Maybe I will be driving to L.A. for the Final next Monday while at ST!!!

camarokids
03-17-2009, 10:08 PM
I was watching as well! Great game!

TNTtoys
03-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I watched it too, and the finish was outstanding!

A side note... this game was a highlight reel of National League East baseball! Wright - Delgado - Beltran - Victorino - Rollins... need I say more?
It's going to be a good season!

allstarsplus
03-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Exciting game. Wish they would have done some post-game interviews instead of switching to the start of the other game.

Oh well, glad we got it on the MLB Channel as I heard a lot of people couldn't watch it on their cable systems.

dcrules01
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
I had to follow the game on my blackberry because the wife offered our services to babysit tonight and I just got home.They had basic cable :mad:Last time I looked it was 5-3 PR...Way to go David...:D and Team USA :cool:

nyjetsfan14
03-18-2009, 06:02 AM
I have refrained from posting in previous threads relating to this topic because I often feel very much alone with my sentiments. However, after seeing some positive comments in this one I'd thought I'd chime in. In an earlier discussion many said who cares? Well I still care! It still matters to me! I really enjoy and watch the tournament and gasp...I want my beloved USA to win. Granted, Bud Selig is the biggest bafoon in professional sports and there are a million ways this tournament can be improved, granted, the USA has little to no support within its own borders, granted, many great American players opted not to participate valuing finances over representing country. But to the Americans who stuck it out there at a time when American baseball players aren't usually amping it up - good for them! I understand I am a fast dying breed in our apathetic, PC, global society we are creating but so be it. There may come a day when USA baseball is completely dead, when all American kids stay indoors to play Wii or just text, when our colors no longer represent free will and actually do run. Today just isn't that day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkvkvOiJ40ABwL8GuAhGAt45nYcB?slug=jp-perezteamusa031809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

allstarsplus
03-18-2009, 07:06 AM
There may come a day when USA baseball is completely dead, when all American kids stay indoors to play Wii or just text, when our colors no longer represent free will and actually do run. Today just isn't that day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkvkvOiJ40ABwL8GuAhGAt45nYcB?slug=jp-perezteamusa031809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

My 15 year old is on his High School's Varsity team and last night we had the parent/coaches night.

There is no shortage of kids trying out for baseball and filling High School teams where we live.

Where there is a shortage is at the youth level meaning there are fewer teams the last 5 years in our area. Fewer teams generally means less competition. I attribute this to what our youngest kids and parents see in the media. Think about it, in 1998 everybody was watching baseball and parents took their 5 year olds to play ball. Those 5 year olds are 15 to 16 years old today. Today's 10 year olds were exposed to all the media reports of steroids in 2003 and 2004 when their kids were 5 and should have been in T-Ball then so many parents aren't encouraging them to play baseball or anything for the matter. I expect that the media plays a big part in perception and the overall support of USA youth baseball.

There will always be American born superstar players. I don't know what the future holds for percentages of American born vs. foreign born players will be in the MLB. My guess would be foreign born players will increase by small percentages each year as other countries turn out their best players.

xpress34
03-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Hello all -

I've never mentioned it before on the forum, but I am a Disabled Vet (12 years Air Force) - jacked up back and shoulder - so I can no longer play myself... no Senior League, no Softball, etc...

That said - and as sappy as it sounds - it does my heart and soul good to see others enjoying this thread that I started and showing PRIDE in Team USA instead of the apathy and animosity that is so prevalent in pretty much every other thread here relating to Team USA and the WBC.

I am leaving tonight for Phoenix/Tucson for Spring Training and the only open date on my trip is Monday the 23rd... I will be watching the WBC brackets and if Team USAcan make it through the Semis, I will be driving to L.A. (about 5 hours) to see the Final game atDodgers Stadium on Monday.

I just want a cheap seat in the bleachers just to be there and I know they are still available...

Anyone know anything about where to snag autos at Dodger Stadium?

Thanks and God Bless America -

Chris

godwulf
03-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the first round U.S. games in Phoenix in '06, and loved every minute. The games I've had the time to watch this year have been exciting, fun Baseball. When people nit-pick about this or that WBC rule being different from MLB, I think maybe they've forgotten that the rules of Baseball haven't always been exactly what we're used to today, and - granted, it's been quite a few years - the last time I attended a college game, they had a 7th inning mercy rule, too. Are you going to be the one telling those guys they aren't playing "real Baseball"?

The WBC is a great thing, and every game played is a slap up alongside the head to those morons at the IOC who voted the Game out of the Olympics.

BULBUS
03-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Pretty cool story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-perezteamusa031809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns