PDA

View Full Version : Roid Era Vs. Hall of Fame - What do you think?

suave1477
03-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Here is something that really hit me the other day and been thinking about.
I would really like to get every one else's thoughts to see what is going to happen.

Here is my scenario
Now that we are in a Roid Era of Baseball it seems like a lot of Hall of Fame caliber players are being produced.
So who gets voted into the hall out of this era??
Does anyone go in??

Years ago if you hit the 500 mark HR mark you were a shoe in. Now it seems like there is going to be at least 2 players a year doing it (Exagerating)
But seems like there is going to be a lot more. So is 500 going to be the mark any more I doubt it. Is 600 going to be the mark???
I don't even think 600 could be the mark, more and more players are going past the 500 and getting close to the 600 mark.

So who do we vote in?

I know there are a lot of hall of fame caliber players out there but half half the roid cloud over there head.

Hall of fame caliber with roid cloud
Pudge
Sheffield
Clemens
McGwire
Bonds
ARod
Sosa
Palmeiro
And more

So at this point where maybe someone who was a borderline first ballot more second ballot choice such as Jeter for the Hall (In my opinion)
Does he now become a Gauranteed first ballot since everyone above him during this erais pretty much on roids???

Does the roids guys continously get passed over or never let in the hall at all???

Now that you have Manny Ramirez, Thomas and Thome going for 600 so does that become the mark or 700 because were going to have a lot of guys coming up on the 600 mark.

Manny
Thomas
Thome
AROD
Bonds
Griffey jr
Sosa

Thats 7 players within in about a 20 year span hitting close to 600 or over.

While it took 3 other players 60 or so years of Baseball.

So where do we set our standards on who goes in?

Does Posada now become a Gauranteed First Ballot with Piazza over Pudge?

I am just curious to hear peoples thoughts on if the hall is going to pass over a lot of players and leave them ouot in the cold because of the roid era. Or cause more Semi Star players to become first ballots and the Roid players to be chosen down the road???

bigtruck260
03-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey Suave...interesting, and I'll bite.

First, I think we are almost out of the steroid era - or at least, top players are not using the way they used to...simply because serious testing started in 2004 and doubtful anyone with any scruples is still using. There will be some players that take the chance, but they will get caught...most of the guys who get caught are not superstar caliber players, but guys on the fringe of just making the big club.

Second, A-Rod will get into the Hall. I was never one to suspect his accomplishments, and I do believe that he was on the wrong team at the wrong time...Gonzalez, Palmerio and Canseco are not the best role models for a young player with a HUGE contract. It's easier to get sucked into using when the stars that surroung you use - including an MVP like Juan Gone.

I would bet that a positive test would have scared A-Rod into NEVER taking something again that could be a detriment to his pocket book or reputation. Unlike some players, Alex really seems to care about his image. A 25 year old stud with $250 Million gets lots of stupid advice. Now that he's 33-34, he can pay someone to create an image for him - and has probably learned that some people give bad advice.

Mac, Bonds and the others may make it someday...and if not, oh well. They gave us some good times over the years and will be remembered for their contributions - although most Dads will weave in the message about why they didn't make it. People make mistakes - even good people trying to do something positive.

Suave, I guess what it boils down to is that it's all in the eye of the beholder. Some fans are more forgiving that others - and sometimes I think I am an apologist for the steroid era.

If most of the employees at your work abuse the internet and don't get in trouble, it's hard for the boss to single you out as an offender without reprimanding the other workers. It's part of the culture of your place of work. SOme bosses do more than others to control it. Most workers KNOW better than to fool around at work, but they do it anyway because they are getting paid to get away with it.

Same with the steriod era. The bosses let it go on so long, that by the time a young kid like Giambi enters the leauge at the peak of steroid use, OF COURSE he's going to think real hard about trying them...after all, his teammates and guys he respects probably are.

I would have like to have seen guys like Gibson, Aaron, Drysdale, etc. - guys who were REAL competitors play in the steroid era just to see if they would have been guilty of following the trend. I once heard Gibson say in an interview that he probably would have tried them. That's interesting.

Anyway, the argument will go on forever...and it's a darn good argument Suave.