PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGwire out of hiding lol lol

suave1477
03-17-2009, 06:34 PM
McGwire glad to help A's, Cards hitters

Former slugger would like to continue working with players

By John Schlegel / MLB.com

Crosby getting stride back with 'Big Mac' (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090122&content_id=3765906&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak)In a rare interview, former slugger Mark McGwire discussed his offseason hitting sessions with several Major Leaguers and expressed a desire to continue that work in the future.
In a phone interview with the New York Times published Friday, McGwire said he enjoyed his winter sessions with hitters such as Matt Holliday of the A's.
"I very rarely talked about my swing when I played," McGwire said. "Really, not that many people asked. It's really interesting to try to talk about it with hitters. It was so enlightening to work with the guys over the winter and see how their minds work. It was neat when you can see the light bulb go off."
The Times said the interview was conducted with the understanding that it would focus on his work as a hitting instructor, and not on other issues. McGwire, 45, has been largely out of the public eye since his 2001 retirement, and in particular since a 2005 Congressional hearing in which he declined to discuss whether he'd used performance-enhancing drugs.
At one point, the article noted, McGwire did respond to a question regarding criticism he has received for being linked to performance-enhancing drugs.
"I'm such an easygoing guy," said McGwire, who received 21.9 percent of the votes necessary for Baseball Hall of Fame induction this past winter. "I don't need to sweep away any bitterness."
McGwire, who hit 583 homers in his 16 years with the A's and Cardinals, held the single-season record of 70, which he hit in 1998, until Barry Bonds broke it with 73 in 2001. He worked with Holliday, A's teammate Bobby Crosby and Cardinals hitters Chris Duncan and Skip Schumaker at the University of California-Irvine campus in Orange County this winter.
"If you'd have told me 20 years ago that I'd be learning about hitting from Mark McGwire, I would have fainted," Crosby told MLB.com in January.
Said McGwire, in the Times interview: "I believe I have so much knowledge to give and help people improve as baseball players."
In 2008, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa invited McGwire to serve as a Spring Training instructor, but McGwire bowed out at the last minute, citing a family matter. The Times report said McGwire has not ruled out a Spring Training instructor position in the future, but only if he can maintain his family commitments. "Right now it's not about me anymore. It's about my family," said McGwire, who has 5- and 6-year-old boys, as well as a 21-year-old son from a previous marriage. "When I played baseball, it was about me. It was about me wearing blinders like a horse."

OaklandAsFan
03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
yeah this is great and all but take a look at Bobby's stats this spring. he is no better than he has been the last several years.

allstarsplus
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Suave - Thanks for the thread. Glad to hear Big Mac is back in the swing of things!!!!

I will travel to Jupiter next Spring if Mac goes to camp there!!!

bigtruck260
03-17-2009, 11:22 PM
With the mess that the PED's created, I guess some folks forgot about Mac's approach to the game, and at the plate. His swing was a work of art...When he was at his peak, there was none prettier in the game of baseball. If I was a player in the MLB, there is no question that I would take advantage of the baseball knowledge of a guy like McGwire...especially if I was a power hitter.

I have a funny feeling that Chris Duncan will benefit from 2 years of Mac training. Now, all we need to do is have Andy Van Slyke teach him how to play the outfiled :D

McGwire was a beast since High School. Doubtful steriods played any part in his game other than keeping him from getting hurt. If he had been healthy his entire career there is no telling what he would have ended up doing. As a fan in STL, I can't imagine him NOT hitting 70 homers in 1998,
his season probably helped pay for part of the new ballpark, and Albert's first long term deal. Somehow many fans forgot about that part...and it's why he never comes to STL for anything the way most players do.

whatupyos
03-18-2009, 02:10 AM
With the mess that the PED's created, I guess some folks forgot about Mac's approach to the game, and at the plate. His swing was a work of art...When he was at his peak, there was none prettier in the game of baseball. If I was a player in the MLB, there is no question that I would take advantage of the baseball knowledge of a guy like McGwire...especially if I was a power hitter.

I have a funny feeling that Chris Duncan will benefit from 2 years of Mac training. Now, all we need to do is have Andy Van Slyke teach him how to play the outfiled :D

McGwire was a beast since High School. Doubtful steriods played any part in his game other than keeping him from getting hurt. If he had been healthy his entire career there is no telling what he would have ended up doing. As a fan in STL, I can't imagine him NOT hitting 70 homers in 1998,
his season probably helped pay for part of the new ballpark, and Albert's first long term deal. Somehow many fans forgot about that part...and it's why he never comes to STL for anything the way most players do.

Well said!! I have always been a Mac fan. I'm an A's fan and followed his entire career. I like how La Russa has always stuck by Mac, just like I have always stuck by him. He does have a great baseball mind! I hope to see him back in the game soon. I have no doubt that he will be welcomed back with open arms.

Aaron

2000mvpfan
03-18-2009, 10:09 PM
..well said you guys.And the thing was,Mac was already hitting tons of homers before he was ever taking the stuff,definitely on the road to 500.Funny how when he & Sosa were single-handedly saving the game and putting people in the seats,the hypocritical powers that be in MLB had no problem looking the other way.

Well,Mac's still the man in a lot of people's book-mine included!

Joe