PDA

View Full Version : How to Throw Away $465 (and counting)

ryan4fregosi
04-23-2006, 08:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Willie-Horton-1980-Seattle-Mariners-game-used-jersey_W0QQitemZ8797353260QQcategoryZ60597QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Willie Horton was known for shredding the V-necks of his pullover jerseys (presumably for comfort, as did Gaylord Perry). By the time he got to Seattle, he was ordering his jerseys with a Texas Rangers-style 2-button placket in the neck.

His 1980 Topps card (not handy, sorry) shows him wearing just that style.

Still...yer money, sonny.

trsent
04-23-2006, 09:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Willie-Horton-1980-Seattle-Mariners-game-used-jersey_W0QQitemZ8797353260QQcategoryZ60597QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Willie Horton was known for shredding the V-necks of his pullover jerseys (presumably for comfort, as did Gaylord Perry). By the time he got to Seattle, he was ordering his jerseys with a Texas Rangers-style 2-button placket in the neck.

His 1980 Topps card (not handy, sorry) shows him wearing just that style.

Still...yer money, sonny.

Wow, that is quite interesting.

Did you email the seller to ask them about this? What was their reply?

R. C. Walker
04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Elements of this hobby is not always so black or white.

For the sake of argument. Though minimal evidence exists that Horton roughed up his collars even during his Detroit era road shirts, is it be safe for all of us to assume and definitely say without a shadow of a doubt Willie Horton never ever wore this jersey?

trsent
04-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Elements of this hobby is not always so black or white.

For the sake of argument. Though minimal evidence exists that Horton roughed up his collars even during his Detroit era road shirts, is it be safe for all of us to assume and definitely say without a shadow of a doubt Willie Horton never ever wore this jersey?

Words such as "never" and "ever" are really big words on this forum. Guy may have slept in the jersey in question in luau of pajamas.

dranimal
04-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Words such as "never" and "ever" are really big words on this forum. Guy may have slept in the jersey in question in luau of pajamas.
But even then you gotta ask did he have game or not?

trsent
04-23-2006, 11:09 PM
But even then you gotta ask did he have game or not?

I am pretty sure if he rode the bench it would still be classified as game used.

Yankwood
04-24-2006, 05:08 AM
Words such as "never" and "ever" are really big words on this forum. Guy may have slept in the jersey in question in luau of pajamas.Maybe he just wore them at the "luau"?

Eric
04-24-2006, 11:07 AM
More importantly, did you contact the seller before coming on here and saying it's fake?
Eric

BPH32
04-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Hello forum members,
First of all I was not contacted about this jersey by the original poster! Here is what I believe is true about this jersey : It is a real 1980 Mariners jersey with proper tagging etc., It is the proper size, It shows use and has the tail tailored as Horton did.
I can't find any pictures of Horton wearing a 1980 Mariners jersey ( a 1980 card will show a 1979 jersey) if somebody else can and it has buttons then I would say that you could be right though you could still be wrong as you would need to know if he had more than one jersey and that they all had buttons or the neck cut. On this short of notice I don't have time to do research past what I have done (the auction ends today) and I am confident in the jersey but we stand behind the things we sell and if there is a problem I will make it right.
Also I think the neck on this jersey might be bigger than normal. I compared it to two Wilson size 44 pull over styles we have from the same vintage and it is about 2 inches longer (measures 7 inches) from the top of the neck to the top of the V. We don't have a size 48 Wilson pullover in stock to measure and I am unsure if the difference would be because of the sizes of the jerseys. Could somebody help with this ?
Thank you
Kim Stigall
Ball Park Heroes
812-275-2717
bph32us@yahoo.com

JimCaravello
04-24-2006, 01:33 PM
I'd like to take this opprotunity to thank Kim Stigall for the way he has handled the comments on this thread. If I were the seller and saw the title of the thread, I probably would not have reacted as pleasantly as Kim. As you saw in Kim's post, he will make it right - and having dealt with Kim for years - I know that to be a FACT.....the only facts I have seen in this thread so far. Jim Caravello

Eric
04-24-2006, 02:04 PM
This was a completely irresponsible way to approach this topic. In essence, Ball Park Heroes was ambushed. Kim was nice enough to respond.
According to the rules of the forum, please ask your questions to teh seller before posting here.
Eric

ryan4fregosi
04-24-2006, 07:45 PM
In all honesty, I didn't look to see who the seller was...and why should I? From the horror stories posted in here, it seems that when somebody contacts a seller regarding a questionable jersey, the end result is threats from the seller, and a warning from eBay. Why subject yourself?

Still, I didn't intend for this thread to be a personal or professional attack on Kim Stigall, and I wish to publicly apologize.

Thanks,
Rob (r4f)

trsent
04-24-2006, 08:10 PM
From the horror stories posted in here, it seems that when somebody contacts a seller regarding a questionable jersey, the end result is threats from the seller, and a warning from eBay. Why subject yourself?

Has anyone ever been warned by eBay when they emailed a seller a question about a questionable item? I know I personally have not, I'd like to hear from other users who were warned by eBay when asking the seller of an item about their item for sale.

R. C. Walker
04-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I'd like to hear from other users who were warned by eBay when asking the seller of an item about their item for sale.

I have been on the other end of this spectrum. I have sold many of my jerseys from my personal collection on eBay to finance other purchases. One thing I seemed to always encounter is the supposed infinite knowledge or outright arrogance of people questioning the items I had for auction. A few claimed to know my jerseys were bogus and proceeded to tell me why.

As an example, I had an individual contact me regarding a Braves Zane Smith I was selling. He was adamant that it was a Pete Smith. Tell me Pete Smith wore #34. Argued about my price (which he thought was too high) and closed his email by stating “I hope your jerseys rot in eBay hell!” Of course this is the extreme and did not return an answer.

What you have to understand is that a seller on eBay doesn’t know you from Adam. For all they know, you could be one of the thousand knuckleheads on eBay just stirring the pot.

trsent
04-24-2006, 09:43 PM
I get dumb emails such as that all the time. Just someone killing time.

Eric
04-24-2006, 11:10 PM
In all honesty, I didn't look to see who the seller was...and why should I? From the horror stories posted in here, it seems that when somebody contacts a seller regarding a questionable jersey, the end result is threats from the seller, and a warning from eBay. Why subject yourself?

Still, I didn't intend for this thread to be a personal or professional attack on Kim Stigall, and I wish to publicly apologize.

Thanks,
Rob (r4f)

Ebay is not going to give you a warning if you ask questions about an item. That is why the have the "ask seller a question" option. As long as your message to them is not inappropriate or offensive, you should be fine.

In our arena, of course you are allowed to ask about tagging, collar, nameplate, game use, provenance etc.

If you ask these questions of a seller and they threaten you, of course you should come here and tell people of your experiences. That is valid information for people to make decisions on whether or not to buy from someone.
Eric