PDA

View Full Version : Nats - O's game in Norfolk, Va

Vintagedeputy
03-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Anyone going? I got my tix today, section 311

thomecollector
03-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I forgot today was the day they went on sale. $#!* ! I will have to keep trying online. Nothing on the Nats side.:(

dirtyla2000
03-14-2009, 04:42 PM
give that quote to the 11 dead in Alabama!checkout Canada,we have gun laws and these such crimes happen once a decade not like the u.s where it happens twice a year! I realize you are sane but is thre guy next door sane! my heart goes out to those in BAMA! Nothing personal but I wish nothing but misery and relocation for the Nats,EXPOS FOREVER!!!!!!!!

allstarsplus
03-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Anyone going? I got my tix today, section 311

Congrats on getting your tix!!! This team has such a different feel this year. Eckstein as the hitting coach and Philbin as the new strength/conditioning coach just tell me that these guys are making good positive change and then of course Adam Dunn and Scott Olsen were 2 nice pickups.

Vintagedeputy
03-14-2009, 09:22 PM
give that quote to the 11 dead in Alabama!checkout Canada,we have gun laws and these such crimes happen once a decade not like the u.s where it happens twice a year! I realize you are sane but is thre guy next door sane! my heart goes out to those in BAMA! Nothing personal but I wish nothing but misery and relocation for the Nats,EXPOS FOREVER!!!!!!!!

2 comments.......

1) What the hell does your comment have to do with the topic of the thread?

2) Here in America, citizens enjoy the right to defend themselves agsint crime. Its called the Second Amendment. If you dont like it, stay in Canada.

dirtyla2000
03-14-2009, 09:50 PM
WOW you had that quote and I wanted to comment,isnt that the frst amendment!PLEASE DONT SHOOT!

kellsox
03-15-2009, 08:16 AM
What does the quote have to do with sports/game used collecting?
kelly

skyking26
03-15-2009, 08:52 AM
I have no clue what this quote even refers to? But anyway, it does not belong here and should be removed by administration... Anything off topic should be taking to some other site that it may pertain.

Only baseball-related answer I have is to the end where it is stated Expos forever. It's great you are loyal to you former team. Perhaps more people in Canada should have been and then the team could have afforded to stay put. Apparently, baseball is not well enjoyed there?

dirtyla2000
03-15-2009, 03:21 PM
agreed! as for baseball in Montreal,it was enjoyed until 1994 where we had the best record in baseball,then the strike and in 1995 we lost everyone;pedro,wetteland,walker etc...our owners BROCHEAU and then LORIA schemed with scumbag BUD SELIG to ruin and sell the team! Do a little homework on Mtl s impact on MLB.Without the MONTREAL ROYALS there may never have been a Jackie Robinson! Do the NATS and Marlins have good attendance!Check out Bill Lee on UTUBE he tells the tale of the Expos the best! The MLB was better with the Expos in it! We still have the best STIPS in the world.

allstarsplus
03-15-2009, 03:30 PM
agreed! as for baseball in Montreal,it was enjoyed until 1994 where we had the best record in baseball,then the strike and in 1995 we lost everyone;pedro,wetteland,walker etc...our owners BROCHEAU and then LORIA schemed with scumbag BUD SELIG to ruin and sell the team! Do a little homework on Mtl s impact on MLB.Without the MONTREAL ROYALS there may never have been a Jackie Robinson! Do the NATS and Marlins have good attendance!Check out Bill Lee on UTUBE he tells the tale of the Expos the best! The MLB was better with the Expos in it! We still have the best STIPS in the world.

The Nats are averaging over 20,000 in attendence a game which isn't bad for a last place team. I would expect attendence to be off due to the tough economy, but should enjoy a few sell-outs and some interesting games with the addition of Adam Dunn.

Washington lost the Senators like you lost your Expos and I can tell you from the many Expos caps I see at Nationals Park that many Expos fans are happy for the people in Washington as hopefully you can take your frustration out on the fans of Montreal for not supporting the team. Maybe one day again Montreal can try to get a team back but please don't hate on a team that has done nothing personally to your city.

kellsox
03-15-2009, 03:43 PM
I believe the Nats attendance was the worst for a team in the first year in a new ballpark(in the Camden Yards era). With the economy the way it is and the product that is being put on the field I would expect a decline this year. They are not alone as many other teams are going to have a tough time putting people in the seats this season.
kelly

dirtyla2000
03-15-2009, 03:57 PM
the Expos too avg. close to that before we became lame ducks in 2001.why should we have lost the Expos to an other city that doesnt support there own! we were hosed and no one outside of Canada realizes it,or I guess just dont care! I root for Vladi and the Angels!

allstarsplus
03-15-2009, 04:32 PM
the Expos too avg. close to that before we became lame ducks in 2001.why should we have lost the Expos to an other city that doesnt support there own! we were hosed and no one outside of Canada realizes it,or I guess just dont care! I root for Vladi and the Angels!

Who are you kidding!!! Are you rewriting history? In 1988, the Expos only averaged 18,000 so don't skew the numbers and it got even worse in 1991 when it fell into the 11,000's per game. It pulled up some from there but the Expos were a joke in 1998 as you were guaranteed 6 "near" sell-outs at least in the National League when the Cubs and Sosa and the Cardinals and McGwire came to town and the Cardinals attendence in 1998 was down to 11,200 per game.

In Spring of 1999, the Expos and Cardinals had 2 exhibition games in Washington DC and both games sold-out in the lower level and had over 50,577 over the 2 days in paid attendence. What was pointed out in our local newspapers was that 50,000 in attendence was a bigger draw than any 3 game series the Expos had in 1998.

I think Washington got the team because the owner's made a bad calculation and spent $450 million on a team that had all short term contracts on journeyman players and was destined for last place or near last place for several seasons. The farm system was rated the worst in baseball in 2005. Also keep in mind that many cities wanted the Expos for their city, and Washington won out.

I don't think there is anyone happy with the performance so far but ownership has 2 full years under their belts and this is the first year of good signings, and the farm system is getting rebuilt.

The NL East is going to be tough again this year so I am looking for year over year improvement with some great draft picks and lots of luck.

Washington happens to be a very good sports town. The Redskins are perrenial winners and sold-out every game and the Capitals this year have been sold-out much of the year.

I would expect that the Nationals will sell-out when they become a team that can compete as Washington supports winners. I don't subscribe to that as I don't jump on to the bandwagon. I am there for the bad and good.

dirtyla2000
03-15-2009, 05:50 PM
how do you know Washington supports winners,they ve never had one!

BergerKing22784
03-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Another reason why the Nationals attendence was crappy was because they just figured because the DC/Maryland area has the highest average household income they could make their ticket prices way to high and not make them close to the teams performance and payroll. Orioles who are just as bad and only a short drive up the road charge 48 for tickets that the Nationals Charge 60 for. I bought those 60 dollar tickets for 35-40 many times last year on ebay. If the Nationals lowered their prices until they got a true fan base they would see their attedance rise.

skyking26
03-15-2009, 07:06 PM
It appears that you harbor pain at the Expos move and tansition to the present-day Nats.

We all know it was economic. Thru the history of the Expos they did not support the club. Seems from what I hear you get that far north and the folks enjoy skating with a stick in their hand. That's cool - that's their thing. I realize you are frustrated. Apparently you like baseball. Why take those frustrations out on anyone but the citizens of Montreal??

I live near Detroit. Detroit has loyal fans. The Tigers have sucked for years. I can barely watch them at times. I was upset when they ended up in last place when projected to win it all? C'mon. But, in the end we take care of our own here - however sick and wounded.

Moral? Don't berate the US. Canada like hockey. Simple. Nuff said and end of thread.....:eek:

BaseballGM
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM

NBA - 1978 Champs
NFL - SB XVII, XXII & XVI Winners
Baseball - 1924 World Series Champs

Vintagedeputy
03-15-2009, 09:04 PM
NBA - 1978 Champs
NFL - SB XVII, XXII & XVI Winners
Baseball - 1924 World Series Champs

Baseball - Washington Nationals - 2009 World Series Champs!

dirtyla2000
03-16-2009, 12:33 AM
I love the U.S. I am a FLYER fan in MTL. THATS NOT EASY!I VE BEEN AN EAGLES FAN SINCE THE DAYS OF THE POLISH RIFLE , JAWS! I JUST HARBOR RESENTMENT TOWARDS THE NATS AND THIS BUDS FOR YOU SELIG ! YET I DIGRESS,THIS THREAD IS OVER! DAWSON AND RAINES FOR THE HALL IN 2010 THATS ALL I HAVE LEFT TO CHEAR FOR!

allstarsplus
03-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I love the U.S. I am a FLYER fan in MTL. THATS NOT EASY!I VE BEEN AN EAGLES FAN SINCE THE DAYS OF THE POLISH RIFLE , JAWS! I JUST HARBOR RESENTMENT TOWARDS THE NATS AND THIS BUDS FOR YOU SELIG ! YET I DIGRESS,THIS THREAD IS OVER! DAWSON AND RAINES FOR THE HALL IN 2010 THATS ALL I HAVE LEFT TO CHEAR FOR!

Its a free world so I guess you can hate on the Nats which is ridiculous in my opinion.

Washington was constantly blocked from getting an existing franchise to relocate to Washington until MLB decided to sell to the highest bidder the Expos. $450 million was a record price at that time for a team without a stadium and full TV contracts.

Selig and MLB paraded a dream and pulled off the greatest auction in history. Think about it. They get 5 interested parties to make sealed bids with many hints that $450 million is the price so it seemed like a BuyItNow auction on eBay.

In comparison, the Oakland A's with a much better roster and farm system sold in 2005 for $180 million.

So were the Nats ever really worth 2 1/2 times what the Oakland A's were worth?

In the end and in agreement with Brian, the ticket prices were set too high for the quality of the product which certainly has cost them some fans.

Again, there doesn't seem to me to be a good reason to hate the Nats rather we can probably all be p*ssed at Selig and MLB and question the way they blocked other owners from moving their franchise to Washington until they could profit on their "own" franchise since technically MLB did own the Expos.

both-teams-played-hard
03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Its a free world....

If it really was, his name would still be Lloyd.

skyking26
03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Its a free world so I guess you can hate on the Nats which is ridiculous in my opinion.

Washington was constantly blocked from getting an existing franchise to relocate to Washington until MLB decided to sell to the highest bidder the Expos. $450 million was a record price at that time for a team without a stadium and full TV contracts.

Selig and MLB paraded a dream and pulled off the greatest auction in history. Think about it. They get 5 interested parties to make sealed bids with many hints that $450 million is the price so it seemed like a BuyItNow auction on eBay.

In comparison, the Oakland A's with a much better roster and farm system sold in 2005 for $180 million.

So were the Nats ever really worth 2 1/2 times what the Oakland A's were worth?

In the end and in agreement with Brian, the ticket prices were set too high for the quality of the product which certainly has cost them some fans.

Again, there doesn't seem to me to be a good reason to hate the Nats rather we can probably all be p*ssed at Selig and MLB and question the way they blocked other owners from moving their franchise to Washington until they could profit on their "own" franchise since technically MLB did own the Expos.
All well said Andrew. There isn't much else that can be said. To hate the Nats is baseless. This gentleman's anger would be best vented toward the Montreal fans who failed to keep the team there by there own doing. To vent on a new city is ridiculous.

I will give a vote to Dawson for HOF. Raines, nope. Great player, but not a hall-of-famer. :cool:

Vintagedeputy
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
anyone else going to the game?

mr.miracle
04-21-2009, 10:29 PM

UHHHH, the Redskins???? 3 World Championships! And I am a Cowboys fan but you have to give them their due!